Government Shutdown Thread

Valin

A government shutdown primer

Paul Mirengoff

9/30/13

Since the odds now favor a government shutdown, it’s time to figure out what a shutdown would and would not mean. Politico offers this guide from the Associated Press, which seems largely devoid of the AP’s usual pro-Democrat spin.

A shutdown would not affect the delivery of mail or of Social Security and Medicare benefits. The airports would remain up and running with no impact on air safety traffic control. Travel visas and passports would still be issued and our embassies would stay open (barring another terrorist threat that scares President Obama into closing some of them).

Federal courts would operate as usual for about ten days. After that, there would be furloughs, but cases still would be heard. The Food and Drug Administration would continue with federal meat inspections and handle high-risk recalls.

(Snip)

So basically parks will be shut down?

@clearvision

Whatever hurts the average American of causes them the greatest inconvenience.....

OTOH IRS audits will be postponed.

• Like 1

@clearvision

Whatever hurts the average American of causes them the greatest inconvenience.....

I no longer make enough to even be looked at for audit........I can barely pay attention......

@clearvision

I no longer make enough to even be looked at for audit........I can barely pay attention......

I'm trying to be Mr. Sunshine here. And it ain't easy. smile.png

• Like 2

How many times are they going to ping-pong this thing back and forth tonight? No one is going to budge so they may as well call it a night and let the chips fall as they may.

• Like 2

So what happens to O'care if somehow tomorrow and the next few weeks, the signup call lines and websites are filled with people asking questions, clicking options, but never actually doing anything? I suspect it would not take much to overwhelm the "talent" on the phone lines....

So what happens to O'care if somehow tomorrow and the next few weeks, the signup call lines and websites are filled with people asking questions, clicking options, but never actually doing anything? I suspect it would not take much to overwhelm the "talent" on the phone lines....

Oh.....come....on....they've had 3+ weeks to prepare .......it's not like they have to read the dam bill or anything.

Remember......these are the sharpest knives in the door......the cream de la cram......the most asstoot indeevidyuls that OFA can bribe.

Some of them may be doing this on work release from drug crimes.....so what.....we've all had problems with heroin every now & then........

So, are they shutting it down on eastern time? And if so, do those of us in the midwest get an extra hour of government, or will we shut down at 11:00? 'Cuz, ya know, inquiring minds want to know.......

• Like 1

I read/heard that since the actual coverage doesn't kick in until Jan, no one is going to sign up so far in advance.....if at all. Not knowing how it is going to work, I don't know if that is a legitimate situation or not. If I was in my 20's again, I wouldn't be thinking of buying health insurance anytime soon. (That long ago, I don't even know if health insurance was available) .:)

My only hope is that whatever happens, it results in a complete flustercluck. And then I can't wait for the D's to try to explain it away. I am sure eloquent Harry will have a good speech ready. :) And blame it on Bush.

• Like 2

pollyannaish

This will personally affect us come next Tuesday since that is when Mr. Ps agency's federal funding runs out and he will be furloughed without pay. Sigh.

The world sucks.

2n68bye.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=640%2C377

TheDailySpew via iOTW

Well Thanks for clearing that up.

It looks like his ears are like Pinnocheo's nose. laugh.png

Pinocchio, unsure.png

Edited by nickydog
  • Like 1

This will personally affect us come next Tuesday since that is when Mr. Ps agency's federal funding runs out and he will be furloughed without pay. Sigh.

The world sucks.

Uh-oh........sorry to hear that.sad.png

The world sucks.

Not to worry, probably won't last that long. Maybe probably. Possibly probably.

pollyannaish

I really have to say that this is a tough road for many people. I have three friends who will

Go in to work tomorrow and then sit and wait with no income until it is resolved.

If this helps change Obamacare, it will be worth it. But it still comes with a large and significant toll to real people.

If it doesn't accomplish anything and is merely the polite version of burning our own neighborhoods down in protest, it will be needlessly painful to a good number of decent people. Like us.

I pray it will be successful. But I am very skeptical.

• Like 1