Coffee Shop

Rheo

I actually watched mostly MSNBC that day; that was back when they were actually, kind of, a legitimate news reporting organization. I think I recall flipping back and forth between MSNBC & Fox.

Called my mom, called my kids, called my BFF, called my hubby at work; just needed to...................connect with everybody.

I actually watched mostly MSNBC that day; that was back when they were actually, kind of, a legitimate news reporting organization. I think I recall flipping back and forth between MSNBC & Fox.

Called my mom, called my kids, called my BFF, called my hubby at work; just needed to...................connect with everybody.

I remember calling back and forth with my son, because my DIL hadn't a clue what had happened and she was on her way to the Loop for a business appointment and if you remember, rumors were flying that Chicago would be hit. We stared at CNN and Fox for days in a trance.

I remember calling back and forth with my son, because my DIL hadn't a clue what had happened and she was on her way to the Loop for a business appointment and if you remember, rumors were flying that Chicago would be hit. We stared at CNN and Fox for days in a trance.

Before and after I was on a Certain Other Site.

I didn't know hardly anything about this, like the vast majority of Americans. The next day I started my edumakashuns with The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2,000 Years

Bernard Lewis

And today it still is an obsession of mine.

STOP THE PRESSES... CNN HAS BEEN OVERTHROWN BY A NEWS ORGANIZATION.

WE DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG THEY CAN HOLD THE CNN CENTER IN ATLANTA CAPTIVE SO READ THEIR CURRENT HEADLINE QUICKLY.

Snap1_zpsed0ff4f9.jpg

• Like 6

US Troops In Ft Hood Receive Orders To Deploy To Syria

I have been able to verify something extremely troubling in the past 12 hours. A close and verifiable source contacted me to lament the deployment of a friend from Ft. Hood to Egypt, where this particular soldier will be for the next nine months. We have no military base in Egypt, so we’re all trying to understand the assignment and wonder if he and the other 400 soldiers are living in a tent in the desert, and if they are, how do they receive supplies, from everything to food, water, ammunition, and fuel to conduct whatever mission they are to fulfill, for I cannot imagine a C-140 being allowed to land at Cairo International.

The following information has been sourced thoroughly. This particular soldier said that while he was not really thrilled about the assignment to Egypt, it was better than the soldiers that remained at the military base BECAUSE THEY HAD JUST RECEIVED THEIR DEPLOYMENT ORDERS TO GO TO SYRIA. That certainly contradicts the posturing and false reassurances and table-pounding of Obama and Kerry, does it not?

Of course, credibility should never enter the discussion when talking about this president. If frogs get nourishment from eating flies, this pathologically dysfunctional misfit gets his lifeblood from telling lies. It is the manner in which he is genetically coded and been brainwashed to operate.

Scissors-32x32.png

Good grief. Mild pedophilia.

I am speechless. In another time he would be hounded out of the public sphere.

I'm thinking a "mild" tap across the head with a baseball bat...repeatedly.

He might have experienced "mild pedophilia" but who knows what other children might have experienced from this same man?

• Like 2

He might have experienced "mild pedophilia" but who knows what other children might have experienced from this same man?

@Rheo you are a much kinder person than I, I'm thinking tie him to the front of a car and see how fast he can run.

@nickydog Is it just me or are we seeing more stories about these....(?)people?

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but good read.

A field trip with Rep. Gosar

WASHINGTON — It is September 11th, and Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar is lounging in the trunk of his scheduler’s blue Mercedes mini-SUV as it speeds along to the State Department.

We’ve attempted to load six people into a five-seater car, and the congressman has decided that the best way to do that is to sit in the trunk.

Our party of two staffers, three reporters, and one congressman stuck in the trunk is on the way to Foggy Bottom so the congressman can deliver a letter about the Benghazi victims to a State official on the one-year anniversary of the attacks that killed four Americans at the U.S. Consulate there.

“A year’s gone by and we have no further answers,” Gosar told us, saying it was “outrageous.”

So he wanted to deliver a letter to try to move the process along a little faster. In the letter, he asks for “Assistance in expediting the collection and reporting of information,” and requested the answer to several questions.

Gosar is a member of the House oversight committee, which has an ongoing investigation into the attacks. But he was taking this particular foray on his own, something he said made the committee “a little bit nervous.”

Scissors-32x32.png

Gosar had asked in his letter whether private emails might have been used for official State Department correspondence, “who gave final approval” for the anti-Muslim video story that was initially given to explain the attack, and “who approved the order not send a military rescue for the diplomatic staff?”

He already had some ideas about who was likely to blame.

“I was very explicit that the president is involved,” he said, saying President Barack Obama had repeated the claim, that later proved false, that the attack was the result of an anti-Muslim video.

“He’s the boss. … Everything comes back to the boss,” Gosar said.

“We’ve seen the hands of Ms. Clinton. … Her fingerprints are all over this as well,” Gosar added.

“She’s part of this narrative. And I find it offensive, absolutely offensive, that someone said ‘What does it matter?’ It matters a lot. That’s someone’s daughter or son,” he said.

“What if it happened to Chelsea?” he asked. “She would really care about what was going on.”

Scissors-32x32.png

I'm hesitant to accept the writer for the link & Salon, at face value. This from one of the comments:

nimitta

7 hours ago

What's interesting about so many of the comments here is that only a few people - not including Katie McDonough, unfortunately - seem to have read Mr. Dawkins' observations closely and understood what he was actually saying.

The article leads off with the mistaken assertion that he believes ""mild pedophilia"...does not cause "lasting harm"". In fact, Dawkins said nothing of the kind, nor did he make any sort of general statement or claim about the harmful effects of pedophilia. Characterizing his account as a "defense of sexual assault" - McDonough's very words - is a blatant lie. Dawkins referred only to a situation that he and some classmates personally experienced and apparently have discussed in the intervening years. Unless and until one of them comes forward to dispute his account, the commenters below who've taken umbrage at Dawkins "speaking for others" couldn't possibly know what they're talking about.

I find it ironic that Peter Watt, the director of the NSPCC, found Dawkins' brave and forthright account of his childhood abuse to be "a terrible slight" to other victims, to whose own brave and forthright accounts Mr. Watt would presumably be sympathetic only so long as they describe themselves as having suffered lasting harm. If not, Watt seems to be saying, then please remain silent.

To those who say that lasting harm is inevitable, and that those who don't see any in themselves after decades of self-reflection are in denial, I would say this: it is you who are in denial about the vast range of such experiences and the contexts in which they occur. You're denying the validity of Dawkins' experience - an act that can be as traumatic and harmful as the assault.

Astride his high horse, Mr. Watt claims "Mr. Dawkins seems to think that because a crime was committed a long time ago we should judge it in a different way" than a similar crime today. Again, Dawkins nowhere states this as an overarching principle, merely locating his own feelings in the broader context of society by pointing out the incontrovertible fact that our attitudes toward SOME transgressions have shifted markedly. Many Christians and Jews who experience outrage when encountering instances of slavery in recent times, for example, can easily overlook its ubiquity in the Bible and the Torah.

Watt also harrumphs that victims of sexual abuse suffer the same effects now as 50 years ago, arguing against a point that Dawkins has nowhere made. Watt is more correct than he himself appears to know, however, since it would seem that many victims in the past and also today might view their experience similarly to Dawkins and his classmates, and survive without lasting harm - if only Watt and his ilk would let them.

Salon is involved in the changing of societal norms & morality. It is agenda driven by the progressive vision; hoping to turn our country & it's citizens into totally secular beings. Without a tape or a text of Dawkins interview I'd think this is the new "yellow" journalism. They mean to break down the religious & moral ethic by the steady streaming of these showpieces.....so that by repetition or osmosis, it becomes as respectable as homosexual marriage, or antics of the North-American Man-Boy Love Association. [/sarc]

I read an interesting article the other day about how society has changing ever-changing ideals & acceptance of crime & punishment. The law enforcement entity increases [or decreases] in size and responsibility with that societal acceptance. During the time of the Puritans....stocks, dunk tanks, tar & feathers, shunning, scarlet letters were all acceptable for sometimes trivial crimes or sins. As the country grew, with an increase in population....we had frontier justice....hanging judges & the law of the .45 Colt Peacemaker. Capital punishment....or not. Jail time, probation, parole....are all relative to the temperament of society at the time.

And that's just America.....Muslim sharia law is considered brutal by our "enlightened" standards....and it is. It's a reflection of a society that hasn't progressed past the 7th century. But not to strict Islamist's.

We, of the "Boomer" generation are seeing societal changes that the X,Y & Z generations have been programmed to accept. We need to live our lives in a moral fashion & by example & teaching....give the younger people reasons for having a moral & ethical life. It's easy to give up & let others tell you how to think.

• Like 1

A Plea for Caution From Russia

By VLADIMIR V. PUTIN
Published: September 11, 2013

MOSCOW — RECENT events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders. It is important to do so at a time of insufficient communication between our societies.

Scissors-32x32.png

Putin is such a softy and caring guy. All he wants is peace in the world.

How can he say the U.N. Security Council should be involved when any viable offering is vetoed by either him or China? Me thinks he was chuckling the entire time he (or an underling) was writing this b.s. Doncha think Obama really enjoyed it too?

@Rheo, might I suggest this be a separate thread.

• Like 4

Putin is such a softy and caring guy. All he wants is peace in the world.

How can he say the U.N. Security Council should be involved when any viable offering is vetoed by either him or China? Me thinks he was chuckling the entire time he (or an underling) was writing this b.s. Doncha think Obama really enjoyed it too?

@Rheo, might I suggest this be a separate thread.

I did make it a thread. wink.png

I still need to read and digest it.

A. Weiner leaves his campaign office for the last time.....waving at an NBC photographer:

BT2fggVCEAAECFg.jpg

Pic via iOTW

Go away peenie-poser.....

The scuttlebutt on Twitter is what Huma is going to do now. Will she divorce his butt and move on to some other pol or what?

Can Hillary be seen dating a divorced woman?

• Like 2

The scuttlebutt on Twitter is what Huma is going to do now. Will she divorce his butt and move on to some other pol or what?

Can Hillary be seen dating a divorced woman?

Now's the time to take that trip to What-ever-stan & introduce him to her parents......

righteousmomma

@Rheo you are a much kinder person than I, I'm thinking tie him to the front of a car and see how fast he can run.

@nickydog Is it just me or are we seeing more stories about these....(?)people?

My dear friends, this kind of situational humanistic thinking is exactly what society gets when its god is science and one of its head acolytes is an atheistic evolutionary biologist.

• Like 1

righteousmomma

Another classic case of misleading journalism in headline and perspective.

Pigs fly, Ted Cruz full of Obama praise

By BREANNA EDWARDS | 9/11/13 6:37 PM EDT

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), praised President Barack Obama on Wednesday for bringing the Syria strike to Congress, saying that the move gave the chance for the voices of Americans to be heard.

“I want to commend President Obama for two different things. Number one, I want to commend President Obama for listening to the bipartisan calls to submit to the constitutional authority of Congress. That was significant, it was the right thing to do and I’m glad he did so,” Cruz said in a detailed foreign policy speech at the Heritage Foundation’s 4th Annual Jesse Helms Lecture Series
“And secondly, once the issue came to Congress, that gave the American people a chance to speak up,” he added, detailing how his constituents had almost total unanimity against intervention in Syria.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/ted-cruz-praises-barack-obama-96665.html#ixzz2efs0LXrh

BTW, there is a headline on Drudge today that astonishes, shocks and totally mystifies me. I will not post it.

I read the article and it is even more confounding and fundamentally flawed and in error.lightningbolt.gif

• Like 2

My dear friends, this kind of situational humanistic thinking is exactly what society gets when its god is science and one of its head acolytes is an atheistic evolutionary biologist.

Nov 18, 2012

More than a half century ago, famed writer C.S. Lewis warned about how science (a good thing) could be twisted in order to attack religion, undermine ethics, and limit human freedom. In this documentary "The Magician's Twin: C.S. Lewis and the Case Against Scientism," leading scholars explore Lewis's prophetic warnings about the abuse of science and how Lewis's concerns are increasingly relevant for us today.

• Like 3

@rightousmama

That Hideous Strength

CS Lewis

The final book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which includes Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, That Hideous Strength concludes the adventures of the matchless Dr. Ransom. The dark forces that were repulsed in Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra are massed for an assault on the planet Earth itself. Word is on the wind that the mighty wizard Merlin has come back to the land of the living after many centuries, holding the key to ultimate power for that force which can find him and bend him to its will. A sinister technocratic organization is gaining power throughout Europe with a plan to "recondition" society, and it is up to Ransom and his friends to squelch this threat by applying age-old wisdom to a new universe dominated by science. The two groups struggle to a climactic resolution that brings the Space Trilogy to a magnificent, crashing close.

Do yourself a favor.

“The universe is so very complicated," said Dr Dimble.

"So you have said rather often before, dear," replied Mrs Dimble

"Have I?" he said with a smile. "How often, I wonder? As often as you've told the story of the pony and trap at Dawlish?"

"Cecil! I haven't told it for years."

"My dear, I heard you telling it to Camilla the night before last."

"Oh, Camilla! That was quite different. She'd never heard it before."

"I don't know if we can even be certain about that...the universe being so complicated and all." For a few minutes there was silence between them.

"But about Merlin?" asked Mrs Dimble presently.

"Have you ever noticed," said Dimble," that the universe, and every little bit of the universe, is always hardening and narrowing and coming to a point?"

His wife waited as those wait who know by long experience the mental processes of the person who is talking to them.

"I mean this," said Dimble, answering the question she had not asked. "If you dip into any college, or school, or parish, or family—anything you like—at a given point in its history, you always find that there was a time before that point when there was more elbow room and contrasts weren't quite so sharp; and that there's going to be a time after that point when there is even less room for indecision and choices are even more momentous. Good is always getting better and bad is always getting worse: the possibilities of even apparent neutrality are always diminishing.”

― C.S. Lewis, That Hideous Strength

“Isn't it absolutely essential to keep a fierce Left and fierce Right, both on their toes and each terrified of the other? That's how we get things done.”

― C.S. Lewis, That Hideous Strength

It came out in 45 and IMO is still very relevant today...maybe even more so. People are forgetting what the Nazis and the USSR did to people, and the lure of utopia...the millennial kingdom on earth (with us of course as king) is always strong.

• Like 4