'Insider threat'? Program urging federal workers to tattle on each other raises concerns

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?test=latestnewsFox News:

Amid the furor in Washington over government leaks and media exposés, a little-known executive order signed by President Obama in October of 2011 could fuel the paranoia.

It requires government agencies to "implement an insider threat detection and prevention program" -- in effect, ordering all government employees, regardless of security clearances or the sensitivity of their work, to police fellow workers as potential security threats, and report the suspicious behavior to superiors.

Asked Monday about the executive order, as first reported by McClatchy Newspapers, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said: "I confess I didn't see the story. I'll have to take the question."

The edict applies to all government agencies, even those with no involvement in national security matters such as the Peace Corps and the Department of Education.

As an example of the order's broad sweep, a Department of Education security systems webinar describes how, "certain life experiences can alter a person's normal behavior and cause them to act illegally or irresponsibly."

It points to "stress, divorce, untreated mental illness, financial problems, frustrations with co-workers or the organization" as warning signs that must be reported.

Mark Zaid, an attorney who has represented government whistle-blowers accused of wrongdoing, said the program may lead some ethical workers with constructive suggestions to do the wrong thing.

"It's hitting a small problem, although a significant one, with sledgehammer," he said.

________

A government of informers...