Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saveliberty

Suggested Recipe: Kona Inn Banana Bread

3 posts in this topic

gallery_84_34_689538.jpg
Kona Inn Banana Bread - recipe originally from Fannie Farmer Baking book by Marion Cunningham (no, really!) but modified by saveliberty

Original recipe supposedly makes one 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf. If you follow these instructions, you will get two loaves.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable shortening [editorial commentary, it is advisable to be a bit generous. A heaping cup is good. ]
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar [honestly, I don't understand why more recipes don't use brown sugar for banana bread]
Minimum 2 cups or 6 medium pureed banana [bananas must be ripe. To the point in which no one in the family wants to eat it and there's either an outcry to throw them out or for you to make banana bread. So what does medium mean anyway? Puree 6 not huge but not tiny, ripe bananas. Eyeball it to see if it looks like it's at least two cups. If you are doing it my way, it should wind up being at least 2 1/2 cups :lol:]
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup chopped walnuts [They look lonely. Grab another couple of handfuls]

Preheat over to 350 degrees

Butter and flour the insides of two loaf pans.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. Using a fork will do. Or else the dry measuring spoon that you already used. Who wants to clean another utensil, anyway.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar and shortening. It's not necessary to use a hand mixer but it's a good idea to at least pretend to cream the sugar and shortening before adding the banana puree, eggs and walnuts. I add each ingredient alone and then beat the mixture before adding the next one. This time I did forget to beat the eggs slightly, so I added each egg one by one. It turned out fine, but it was a bit more work. bag.gif

Once it's blended, add half of the flour/salt/baking soda mixture until the flour is blended. Then add the rest in and blend that as well.

Don't use a mixer for this part. It's best if it's not overmixed.

Then divide the batter equally between the two pans. It split evenly as I used the one cup scoop to pour into each pan.

Bake at 350 for about 70 minutes. Oven times differ, so check it before the hour is up. When it's done, test using a toothpick - it should come out clean.
When done, set the pans on cooking racks for at least five minutes. Ten minutes is better.

The loaf should loosen itself in that time, making it easy to turn out the banana bread to continue cooling.

It's very hot. Wait at least five more minutes before cutting the bread. Ideally, the loaf should cool completely so that the slices would be pretty, but it is so much better when it's warm out of the oven.

Click here to rate or see more info on the recipe

Edited by saveliberty
2 people like this

I have a hard time waiting for it to cool, usually cut while pretty warm that way butter melts over it.

1 person likes this

On Facebook, my sister suggested it's good even with only one banana (? what is the point?) but she did give the suggestion to add rum!!!!