Woolwich attack: troops advised not to wear uniform outside bases

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

Woolwich-attack-troops-advised-not-to-wear-uniform-outside-bases.htmlUK Telegraph:

Defence sources said the order had been given that uniform should not be worn by those travelling alone, or on public transport as a "common sense precaution" immediately after the killing

A source stressed the order was temporary while investigations into the killing carried on and the decision would be reviewed in the next few days.

Col Richard Kemp, who commanded British forces in Afghanistan, said it would be a mistake to reinstate an earlier permanent bar on military personnel wearing uniforms in public. That ban was put in force because of an IRA campaign in the 1970s and 1980s to target personnel in Britain, Germany and Holland.

"Personally, I would argue against it," he told the Today programme. "As we saw in this case you don't need to have somebody in uniform, you just need to have someone who knows a bit about soldiers and does a bit of observation in the vicinity of a barracks and you can identify a soldier very quickly.

"I think we should be right to think about ways of protecting ourselves better but I think it would be wrong to suggest we live in a state of fear of this type of attack continuing.

"I think it is possible further attacks will be inspired by this type of attack... one of the biggest priorities for the services is to look at the role of the internet in motivating people and look very carefully at which radical sites should be suppressed on the internet, as well, of course, as more direct preaching in some of the mosques in this country which has caused people to turn to radicalism and terrorism before.

"That's another area we need to put more resources into again."

________

Remember, don't want to get the lunatics angry...