Coffee Shop

Rheo

Mia Love Announces 2014 House Bid

Mia Love, currently the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, has officially announced her candidacy for Utah’s fourth congressional district, setting up a rematch against Representative Jim Matheson, who defeated Love last November by just 768 votes out of 245,277 cast.

Mia Love Announces 2014 House Bid

Mia Love, currently the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, has officially announced her candidacy for Utah’s fourth congressional district, setting up a rematch against Representative Jim Matheson, who defeated Love last November by just 768 votes out of 245,277 cast.

Go, Mia!

I haven't been watching Fox. Has Rosen commented about being a criminal?

No idea, we are not watching either.

I have Fox on today and have been half listening because I have been working on something else. When Rosen came on reporting on another subject I stopped to listen, but they didn't even ask him about it? A suit coming and lawyers advice before speaking is what occurred to me when I thought about it. ?

clearvision

Very massive destruction in Moore, OK. Hundreds of houses reduced to slabs, two elementary schools collapsed/twisted metal. Hopefully tornado shelters in use, or it will not be good. Cars thrown everywhere on roads, highways, driveways... upside down, smashed, piled together.

I-35 closed.

clearvision

Senate grilling IRS this morning. Every dem starts out slamming the practice and what occurred, then says "having said that" then talks about how organizations should not be able to hide their donor names.

Sharyl Attkisson's computers compromised

Sharyl Attkisson, the Emmy-award winning CBS News investigative reporter, says that her personal and work computers have been compromised and are under investigation.

"I can confirm that an intrusion of my computers has been under some investigation on my end for some months but I'm not prepared to make an allegation against a specific entity today as I've been patient and methodical about this matter," Attkisson told POLITICO on Tuesday. "I need to check with my attorney and CBS to get their recommendations on info we make public."

In an earlier interview with WPHT Philadelphia, Attkisson said that though she did not know the full details of the intrustion, "there could be some relationship between these things and what's happened to James [Rosen]," the Fox News reporter who became the subject of a Justice Dept. investigation after reporting on CIA intelligence about North Korea in 2009.

Scissors-32x32.png

Chief IRS Counsel Got Jeremiah Wright's Church out of IRS Probe Before Joining Agency

News reports from the time indicate the now-chief counsel of the IRS, William Wilkins, helped a church connected to President Barack Obama’s friend Rev. Jeremiah Wright get out of an IRS probe in 2008 while working as a private attorney.

“Lawyers from Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr have won the dismissal of an IRS case against United Church of Christ, Sen. Barack Obama's denomination,” The American Lawyer’s Zach Lowe wrote on May 22, 2008.

The IRS initiated an investigation early this year after a speech by Obama at a 50th anniversary celebration of the church last June. It was a reference by Obama to his presidential candidacy in a talk otherwise focused on faith that caught the agency's attention. Tax laws prohibit non-profits--including churches--from engaging in political speech or promoting candidates. The IRS can withdraw an organization's tax-free status if the organization is found to violate the rule.

Lowe noted that Obama had been a “member of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago--a UCC congregation--for more than 20 years. The church has been in the headlines for several months now as the congregation lead by the controversial Reverend Jeremiah Wright.”

William Wilkins, then a WilmerHale law firm partner, said, “We were so interested in the case we offered to do it pro bono."

Scissors-32x32.png

Top IRS official will invoke Fifth Amendment

WASHINGTON – A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the Fifth Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.

Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening – or why she didn’t reveal it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor 3rd.

Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight committee Wednesday.

“She has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course,” said a letter by Taylor to committee Chairman Darrell E. Issa, R-Calif. The letter, sent Monday, was obtained Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times.

Taylor, a criminal defense attorney from the Washington firm of Zuckerman Spaeder, said that the Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.

Since Lerner won’t answer questions, Taylor asked that she be excused from appearing, saying that would “have no purpose other than to embarrass or burden her.” There was no immediate word whether the committee will grant her request.

Scissors-32x32.png

Three Martini Lunch Political Storm Clouds

Jim Geraghty and Greg Corombos discuss poll numbers on the IRS scandal, leaked documents about a Fast & Furious whistleblower, and Sheldon Whitehouse blaming global warming on Republicans.

Delayed by war, Class of 1943 finally holds senior prom

Rehema Ellis and Andrew Rafferty, NBC News

It took seven decades, but the Hillhouse High School Class of 1943 finally had its senior prom.

Prom for the members of the Greatest Generation was cancelled 70 years ago when the young men in the Connecticut school — and across the country — were called on to go defend the United States during World War II. But as of last Sunday, the high school rite of passage was no longer something these former high schoolers had to live without.

But when it's a senior prom for senior citizens, the rules are different. First of all, the event started at noon, everyone could drink alcohol, and the dress code was, well, comfortable.

g-130520-nn-hillhouse-8p.photoblog600.jp

Honey Pegnataro, right, shares a toast with some of her classmates at the Hillhouse High School class of 1943 reunion and prom.

(Snip)

130520-hillhouse-bcol2-8p.photoblog600.j

Honey and Tony Pegnataro

Vid At Link

BREAKING: FBI Agent Reportedly Kills Man in Orlando After Questioning in Boston Jihadist Bombing Case Video Report 5/22/13

An FBI agent was involved in a deadly shooting connected to the Boston Marathon bombing case.

The man who was shot, Ibragim Todashev, had been interviewed about his connections to the bombing suspects before by the FBI and started out cooperative, NBC sources said.

The suspect then went to attack the agent and was shot, the sources said.

The suspect is deceased, the FBI said.

(Snip)

NBC News