April 9, 1865 The Army Of Northern Virginia Surrenders

Valin

Eyewitness To History

With his army surrounded, his men weak and exhausted, Robert E. Lee realized there was little choice but to consider the surrender of his Army to General Grant. After a series of notes between the two leaders, they agreed to meet on April 9, 1865, at the house of Wilmer McLean in the village of Appomattox Courthouse. The meeting lasted approximately two and one-half hours and at its conclusion the bloodliest conflict in the nation's history neared its end.

Prelude to Surrender

On April 3, Richmond fell to Union troops as Robert E. Lee led his Army of Northern Virginia in retreat to the West pursued by Grant and the Army of the Potomac. A running battle ensued as each Army moved farther to the West in an effort to out flank, or prevent being out flanked by the enemy. Finally, on April 7, General Grant initiated a series of dispatches leading to a meeting between the two commanders.

"General R.E. Lee, Commanding C.S.A.:

5 P.M., April 7th, 1865.

The results of the last week must convince you of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia in this struggle. I feel that it is so, and regard it as my duty to shift from myself the responsibility of any further effusion of blood by asking of you the surrender of that portion of the Confederate States army known as the Army of Northern Virginia.

U.S. Grant, Lieutenant-General"

The note was carried through the Confederate lines and Lee promptly responded:

"April 7th, 1865.

General: I have received your note of this date. Though not entertaining the opinion you express of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia, I reciprocate your desire to avoid useless effusion of blood, and therefore, before considering your proposition, ask the terms you will offer on condition of its surrender.

R.E. Lee, General."

Grant received Lee's message after midnight and replied early in the morning giving his terms for surrender:

(Snip)

Draggingtree

Surrender at Appomattox, 1865

With his army surrounded, his men weak and exhausted, Robert E. Lee realized there was little choice but to consider the surrender of his Army to General Grant. After a series of notes between the two leaders, they agreed to meet on April 9, 1865, at the house of Wilmer McLean in the village of Appomattox Courthouse. The meeting lasted approximately two and one-half hours and at its conclusion the bloodliest conflict in the nation's history neared its end.

Prelude to Surrender

On April 3, Richmond fell to Union troops as Robert E. Lee led his Army of Northern Virginia in retreat to the West pursued by Grant and the Army of the Potomac. A running battle ensued as each Army moved farther to the West in an effort to out flank, or prevent being out flanked by the enemy. Finally, on April 7, General Grant initiated a series of dispatches leading to a meeting between the two commanders. Scissors-32x32.png

apomtx6a.jpg

The McLean family sits on the porch

of their home. The surrender was

signed in the 1st floor room on the left.

Meeting at Appomattox

The exchange of messages initated the historic meeting in the home of Wilmer McLean. Arriving at the home first, General Lee sat in a large sitting room on the first floor. General Grant arrived shortly and entered the room alone while his staff respectfully waited on the front lawn. After a short period the staff was summoned to the room. General Horace Porter described the scene: Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.eyewitnes...om/appomatx.htm

Surrender at Appomattox, 1865

See Post 1 smile.png

Wilmer McLean

Appomattox Court House

wilmer-mclean_portrait.jpg

It is sometimes said that the Civil War began and ended in Wilmer McLean's Home. While that is not exactly correct (McLean owned a home at the battle of Bull Run and the "Surrender House" at Appomattox Court House) it makes a pretty good story. McLean decided to move from his home near Bull Run following Second Manassas because there was just too much fighting going on when he moved to peaceful Appomattox, about 3/4ths of the way between Richmond and Lynchburg, Virginia.

(Snip)

What I didn't know until I read April 1865 was that this was not the end of the war. Other north and south generals were still fighting battles in other places and needed their own surrenders. And that some southerners were considering extending the war into partisan guerrilla warfare which could have gone on for another 20 years! And that Missouri was already a blood bath because of so much partisan fighting. And there was a lot of other stuff in that book that I didn't know. In fact, almost all of it. bag.gif Excellent book.

• Like 1

What I didn't know until I read April 1865 was that this was not the end of the war. Other north and south generals were still fighting battles in other places and needed their own surrenders. And that some southerners were considering extending the war into partisan guerrilla warfare which could have gone on for another 20 years! And that Missouri was already a blood bath because of so much partisan fighting. And there was a lot of other stuff in that book that I didn't know. In fact, almost all of it. bag.gif Excellent book.

There was an article I read years ago. A Virginia man made out his will, and left everything to his son...with the provision that none of his land could ever by sold to anyone named Sherman...first or last name.

I recall many many Flame wars at TOS over the Civil War (including calling it the Civil War not the The War Of Northern Aggression)

http://youtu.be/Mz_GLcumolw

Sung by Hoyt Axton Written by Major Innes Randolph, C.S.A.

The interesting thing (according to Shelby Foote) before the war we said The United States of America, after we said the United States of America. A whole different way of looking at the nation.

• Like 2