Coffee Shop

Rheo

II certainly agree with Fr. Barron about the alluring pull of the beautiful on heart and emotions whether it be found in religious rites and rituals, fragrances, music, art or literature. (I myself try to use beauty when I paint as a way of praising and exalting God.)

fr. Barron was using the concept as a way to evangelize. More specifically to evangelize into the Catholic Church. Perfectly Understandable - after all he is a Catholic priest.

However he said something that aroused my interest. He said that Paul called the church, the body of Christ - the Catholic Church. Not "catholic" in the contexts of meaning universal but in the very specific context of the RomanCatholic Faith?

This of course implies that Roman Catholicism is the one and only true church, the Body of Christ. Did I understand that correctly?

As best I can tell Roman Catholicism did not even exist in Paul's or Peter's days. Just individual Jews and Gentiles being evangelized and brought into God's Kingdom by their accepting faith and baptism into Christ and then gathering together for worship.

Like I said perhaps I misunderstood Fr. Barron.

@righteousmomma, I am sorry that I missed this comment from you.

Church comes from the Greek work, ekklesia, which is a calling to God. You are correct that the early ekklesia did not call itself Roman Catholicism, but that they were all Christians. While the Popes are traced all the way back to St. Peter, the use of the term Catholicism wasn't until the Reformation.

There was good in the Reformation but it did also divide a people united in Christ. Transubstantiation was not formally challenged until the Reformation - to be clear, early Christians died for believing that the bread and wine had become the body and blood of our Lord, and this is part of our spiritual food (John 6).

Issues with the hierarchy - certainly we all can agree about reforms. We can have a good discussion about the Magisterium. We can also talk about how pre-Reformation theology was discarded at the Reformation, some of which is being read again by Protestant clergy and theologians with new respect. We can talk about how even someone who believes in Christ can become separated from Him. Witness those who worship the enemy - stealing the Eucharist and driving a knife into it. Belief and love don't always come together.

At the end of the day, what we see is fewer Catholics, fewer Protestants celebrating in what we now call "Church".

I was talking to a friend (she and her husband are Methodists). They are firm in their belief and devotion and our friend is dismayed that her children don't go to church and she's not sure what they believe.

Part of the evangelization that Father Barron is working on is to illuminate that all it takes is one generation not to go to Church to atheism.

Following Christ's Way is hard, and it's radical. These days, there is danger for Christians - Cardinal Dolan asked NCR Reporter John Allen to look into and report the genocide against Christians; i.e., people who either were killed specifically for their faith or people who in acting out their Christian faith were killed). 80% of the faith based killings were against Christians.

For what it's worth, beauty in how people love and treat each other is another manifestation in what Father Barron talked about.

I hope that this is helpful.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that Catholics accept baptisms from other Christian denominations. In RCIA, if a candidate has been baptized in a Protestant denomination, that is accepted. Catholics believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and the beginning of a life with Christ.

If a candidate is unsure if he or she was baptized, the RCIA process will include a conditional baptism.

• Like 1

Tim Carney: An awful loss, a beautiful life, a daunting task

February 24, 2013 | 8:00 pm

1 Comment

Carney-3.jpg

Timothy P. Carney

Senior political columnist

The Washington Examiner

w200-0556509c5897cb715724629b4641374c.jpg

John Paul smiles at his brother Joey.

Scissors-32x32.png

Nothing can prepare you for seeing your one-year-old nephew in a casket. Nothing can take away his parents' agony. And nobody could have expected how much good work this helpless baby would do in 14 months.

John Paul Kilner was born with an advanced case of spinal muscular atrophy. Nearly paralyzed at birth, his body deteriorated further as he grew.

My sister-in-law Elena and her husband Pat brought JP home as soon as possible, and began the 24-hour a day job of keeping him alive. Someone was always at JP's side, monitoring blood-oxygen levels, suctioning mucus through his tracheostomy tube.

May the Lord be swift to welcome little JP into His Heavenly Kingdom and may He grant healing to his family and their friends.

After Mooch's appearance at the Oscars, Twitter responded with:

#NextMichelleObamaAppearance

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NextMichelleObamaAppearance&src=hash

• Like 1

righteousmomma

Thank you, Save for your very excellent and loving response to my earlier question. I did read Sr woodchuck's link and I also reread a chapter in a book a Cathollic friend gave me on what Catholics really believe as pertaining to the church, to Mary, to communion etc.

I also replayed mentally many occasions of worshipping in Catholic Churches and how similar to Anglican worship in rites and rituals but how vastly different we view the Holy Spirit and the Elements of the Mass.

As a Bible student of the Anglican Methodist tradition with a bit of Calvinism and fire of the Holiness movement thrown in I have a very different view and understanding of Christianity and the Lord's Church. EPHESIANS is one example that would best sum up my views of "the church" as the Body of Christ. Her position and purpose.

We can certainly all agree on the Gospel and that is what counts above and beyond all else for now and Eternity. God in Christ Jesus.

Btw, we Protestants also say the Creeds - especially the Apostles. It is the same credo ( I believe) statement of Faith of the Gospel that Paul proclaimed in Corinth and every other city he visited. It is the same message to the 7 churches in Revelation. We believe "the catholic church" in the Apostles Creed refers to the church universal. For us non Catholics ROMANS best proclaims the Doctrine of God in Christ Jesus that we believe .

So whatever we label upon ourselves or historic tradition we choose to worship in :

His Peace and His Grace to all,

In Christ's Love,

rm

• Like 5

Thank you, Save for your very excellent and loving response to my earlier question. I did read Sr woodchuck's link and I also reread a chapter in a book a Cathollic friend gave me on what Catholics really believe as pertaining to the church, to Mary, to communion etc.

I also replayed mentally many occasions of worshipping in Catholic Churches and how similar to Anglican worship in rites and rituals but how vastly different we view the Holy Spirit and the Elements of the Mass.

As a Bible student of the Anglican Methodist tradition with a bit of Calvinism and fire of the Holiness movement thrown in I have a very different view and understanding of Christianity and the Lord's Church. EPHESIANS is one example that would best sum up my views of "the church" as the Body of Christ. Her position and purpose.

We can certainly all agree on the Gospel and that is what counts above and beyond all else for now and Eternity. God in Christ Jesus.

Btw, we Protestants also say the Creeds - especially the Apostles. It is the same credo ( I believe) statement of Faith of the Gospel that Paul proclaimed in Corinth and every other city he visited. It is the same message to the 7 churches in Revelation. We believe "the catholic church" in the Apostles Creed refers to the church universal. For us non Catholics ROMANS best proclaims the Doctrine of God in Christ Jesus that we believe .

So whatever we label upon ourselves or historic tradition we choose to worship in :

His Peace and His Grace to all,

In Christ's Love,

rm

@righteousmomma!

I have noticed in the Apostles Creed, that the way it is written: "...one holy, catholic & apostolic church...." that the words are not capitalized....indicating to me that it does not refer to any one entity [to the exclusion of others] but to all who believe in Christ Jesus, as the Son of God & Savior. An interesting perspective here:

http://www.genusa.com/fellowship/WhereUniversalCameFrom.html

While I believe in my faith, as a Roman Catholic....I also wish others freedom of religious practice, as well as fellowship in Christ. For me, it is this verse that has over-riding authority & meaning:

“… For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” - Matthew 18:20

• Like 1

MAKE THE PAIN STOP....PLEASE!

Pastor Plans Toy Gun Buyback Program

2/15/13

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - While St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson is raising funds for a gun buyback program, Pastor Rodney Francis of the Washington Tabernacle Baptist Church wants to catch kids before they even think about wielding a weapon.

His church is planning a toy gun buyback later this summer.

Francis says there are no violent video games, gory movies or toy weapons in his family’s house.

(Snip)

2/15/13

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - While St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson is raising funds for a gun buyback program, Pastor Rodney Francis of the Washington Tabernacle Baptist Church wants to catch kids before they even think about wielding a weapon.

Francis says there are no violent video games, gory movies or toy weapons in his family's house.

(Snip)

Is he planning to buy back little boys' index fingers and sticks they pick up in their back yards?

2/15/13

Francis says there are no violent video games, gory movies or toy weapons in his family's house.

(Snip)

Is he planning to buy back little boys' index fingers and sticks they pick up in their back yards?

You would think the good pastor would recall the days of his youth...of course if you thought that you'd be wrong.

Just in case you like millions of Americans were concerned, Have No Fear!

Obama’s Paycheck Exempted from ‘Sequester’

(CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama won’t have to worry about his paycheck if the spending sequestration included in the Budget Control Act that he signed into law in 2011 begins taking effect this Friday.

A report published last month by the Congressional Research Service--“Budget Sequestration and Selected Program Exemptions and Special Rules"--identifies certain programs that are exempt from sequestration and lays out special rules that govern the sequestration of others.

Section 255 of the Budget Control Act includes “Compensation for the President” as one of those exemptions (Page 19).

(Snip)

• Like 1

9-year-old rapper's adult-themed videos prompt state probe

Dominique Debucquoy-Dodley, CNN

February 26, 2013

(CNN) -- A 9-year-old rapper's adult-themed music videos are finding some new viewers -- Massachusetts child welfare authorities.

The child, Luie Rivera Jr., whose stage name is "Lil Poopy," is seen in videos posted online, including on YouTube, smacking a woman's backside, flashing wads of cash, riding in a Ferrari and rapping about how "coke is not a bad word."

A separate video shows the young performer in a nightclub with a dancing woman in a sexually suggestive position, with people in the crowd throwing cash.

(Snip)

wallbash.gif I'm sorry 9 years old! I got a real problem with this.

Just in case you like millions of Americans were concerned, Have No Fear!

Obama's Paycheck Exempted from 'Sequester'

(CNSNews.com) President Barack Obama won't have to worry about his paycheck if the spending sequestration included in the Budget Control Act that he signed into law in 2011 begins taking effect this Friday.

A report published last month by the Congressional Research Service--"Budget Sequestration and Selected Program Exemptions and Special Rules"--identifies certain programs that are exempt from sequestration and lays out special rules that govern the sequestration of others.

Section 255 of the Budget Control Act includes "Compensation for the President" as one of those exemptions (Page 19).

(Snip)

laugh.png

http://youtu.be/kIL7nFWsSCg

this is a Message concerning the Gun Law that WILL be introduced in America.

this video does not mention the laws concerning the holding of firearms. it is simply to much. the gunsafe typs for hand and longarms aswell as amunition. the laws concering locking in a safe. the laws which allow the police in your house to control how you keep your firearms and check they are there.

I forgot to mention new gunlaws in germany also prohibit the carrying of pepperspray for selfprotection. no knives with a blade longer than 10cm. no onehand opening knives.

(Snip)

Kerry to a German crowd:

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid — if you want to be. And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.

"And we tolerate it. We somehow make it through that. Now, I think that's a virtue. I think that's something worth fighting for."

Democrats Propose Department of Peacebuilding

Nathaniel Botwinick

February 26, 2013

House Democrats, led by Representative Barbara Lee (D., Calif.), have proposed the creation of the Department of Peacebuilding. The DOP would be an executive-level department “dedicated to peacebuilding, peacemaking, and the study and promotion of conditions conducive to both domestic and international peace and a culture of peace.”

Representative Lee explained the rationale for her bill in a *press release last week: “We invest hundreds of billions each year in the Pentagon, in war colleges, military academies, and our national defense universities all to develop war tactics and strategies. Now we need that kind of investment in peace and nonviolence here at home.”

The Department of Peace would have its own Peace Academy modeled on West Point and the other military academies.....(Snip)

* Don't read this, it will just make your brain hurt.

Kerry to a German crowd:

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid — if you want to be. And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.

"And we tolerate it. We somehow make it through that. Now, I think that's a virtue. I think that's something worth fighting for."

Huh? blink.png

• Like 1

Kerry to a German crowd:

Huh? blink.png

What is he really saying?

Maybe we can have a Department of Beclownment....and John Eff'n Kerry & Babs Lee can duke it out for Head Clown Secretary of Beclownment.

Kerry to a German crowd:

He's right, part of our liberty is the freedom to be stupid.

J Fn' Kerry

Exhibit #413,982

kerry_common_man.jpg

• Like 1

Take a deep breath and watch something wonderful

February 26, 2013 By Deacon Greg Kandra

mitchell24n-6-web-575x345.jpg

Scissors-32x32.png

With all the papal craziness—who’s up, who’s down, who’s electable, who’s not—here’s a welcome palate-cleanser that helps put it all in perspective.

You want to the gospel in action? Here it is.

- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/02/take-a-deep-breath-and-watch-something-wonderful/#sthash.EhCsjZWo.dpuf

Hilarious & Apt:

security+check+point.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

transparent-pixel._V386942464_.gif

Customer Reviews

Playmobil Security Check Point

Average Customer Review

3.0 out of 5 stars (167 customer reviews)

Share your thoughts with other customers Create your own review

Search Customer Reviews Only search this product's reviews

The most helpful favorable review

The most helpful critical review

214 of 217 people found the following review helpful

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer available

Get it now as soon it will no longer be available. TSA has requested that this product be removed from the market. It was deemed a security risk as it is virtually identical to the actual training material used to train TSA agents.

Published 1 month ago by bbdd

See more 5 star, 4 star reviews tile-vline-vs._V192249916_.gif

10,084 of 10,235 people found the following review helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lesson for the kids!

I was a little disappointed when I first bought this item, because the functionality is limited. My 5 year old son pointed out that the passenger's shoes cannot be removed. Then, we placed a deadly fingernail file underneath the passenger's scarf, and neither the detector doorway nor the security wand picked it up. My son said "that's the worst security ever!". But it...

Read the full review ›

Published on September 9, 2005 by loosenut

See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 217| Next ›

Most Helpful First | Newest First

10,084 of 10,235 people found the following review helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lesson for the kids!, September 9, 2005

By

loosenut (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Playmobil Security Check Point (Toy)I was a little disappointed when I first bought this item, because the functionality is limited. My 5 year old son pointed out that the passenger's shoes cannot be removed. Then, we placed a deadly fingernail file underneath the passenger's scarf, and neither the detector doorway nor the security wand picked it up. My son said "that's the worst security ever!". But it turned out to be okay, because when the passenger got on the Playmobil B757 and tried to hijack it, she was mobbed by a couple of other heroic passengers, who only sustained minor injuries in the scuffle, which were treated at the Playmobil Hospital.

The best thing about this product is that it teaches kids about the realities of living in a high-surveillence society. My son said he wants the Playmobil Neighborhood Surveillence System set for Christmas. I've heard that the CC TV cameras on that thing are pretty worthless in terms of quality and motion detection, so I think I'll get him the Playmobil Abu-Gharib Interogation Set instead (it comes with a cute little memo from George Bush).

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comments (75)

2,281 of 2,330 people found the following review helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Not complete without the line...., March 8, 2008

By

M. MCKNIGHT "reviewer" (US) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars

This review is from: Playmobil Security Check Point (Toy)This toy would be a lot more realistic with about 350 people standing in line for an average of an hour. It still makes a nice set with the interrogation room.

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comments (5)

4,582 of 4,723 people found the following review helpful

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious Security Breach, February 29, 2008

By

W. C. Isbell "roxybeast" (Oklahoma City, OK, USA) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars

This review is from: Playmobil Security Check Point (Toy)My family was planning a vacation to Europe, so I purchased this item to teach my twins about what to expect at the airport and hopefully, alleviate some of their anxiety. We also downloaded the actual TSA security checklist from the American Airlines website and then proceeded with our demonstration. Well, first we had to round up a Barbie and a few Bratz dolls to play the other family members, so that cost us a few extra bucks at the Dollar General and it is aggravating that the manufacturer did not make this product "family-friendly." Of course, since the playmobil Dad could not remove his shoes or other clothing items, unlike the Barbie, the playmobil security agent became suspicious and after waving her wand wildy a few dozen times, called her supervisor to wisk the Dad into a special body-cavity search room, (which incidentally led to quite an embarasing and interesting discussion with my twin daughters about personal hygiene and a slight adjustment to the rules we had them memorize about touching by strangers). But worst of all, since the suitcase did not actually open, the baggage inspector made a call to the FBI and ATF bomb squads which then segregated the family's suitcase (which btw was the only suitcase they provided for our educational family experience) and according to the advanced TSA regulations, had to blow it up, (since they could not otherwise mutilate the luggage, break off the locks and put one of those nice little advisory stickers on it), which we had to simulate out in the backyard with a few M-80s and other fireworks. The girls started crying. They became so hysterical by the whole experience that we could not even get them in the car when the time came to actually take our trip, and so we had to cancel the whole thing at the last minute, losing over $7,000 in airfare and hotel charges that we could not recoup do to the last minute cancellations. We've now spent an additional $3,000 to pay for the girls therapy and medication over the past year since this incident occurred, and the psychologists have told us that this will affect them for life, so much for their college fund and our retirement. Then, to top it all off, when we tried to use to playmobil phone to call the company to ask for reimbursement, as you might expect, of course the damn thing didn't even work; neither did our efforts to e-mail them using the computer screen on the baggage checkpoint; and our real-life efforts to contact them to obtain re-imbursement have also likewise been ignored. Worse yet, we had the product tested and found out that it was positive for both lead paint and toxic chemicals, having been manufactured in China by workers holding formerly American jobs, so now we all have cancer and have been given only another year or so to live. My advice - educating your kids about airport security with this toy may actually be more harmful to them than just packing them in the damn luggage with some bottled water & hoping they survive. smile.png

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comments (39)

375 of 381 people found the following review helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars ██ █ ████ fantastic ███ █████ toy █████, January 14, 2013

By

Paul Nord (Valparaiso, IN USA) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars

This review is from: Playmobil Security Check Point (Toy)██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comments (4)