Coffee Shop

Rheo

Before Cashing Out My Coins

Scissors-32x32.png

Matt Yglesias is a one-man wrecking crew in an epic battle against reality. His launch point was the Trillion Dollar coin concept, and he delivers not one but two missiles of misinformation today.

His first launch:

The Platinum Coin Was Intended To Generate Seigniorage

No, not really at all. What is "seigniorage"? It is the added value that attaches to a bit of metal (or paper) when the government deems it to be legal tender. For example, a few cents worth of copper and bronze are stamped and boom - we have a quarter worth $0.25.

But platinum is part of the US bullion coin program, along with silver, gold and palladium. Using gold as an example, the Mint takes an ounce of gold worth maybe $1,600, stamps it with a face amount of $50 and boom - sells it for $50, thereby losing $1,550. NO!

They sell it for $1,600 plus a mark-up for production, marketing and administration. But that magic stamp of $50 isn't why they can sell the coin for more than $1,600 - it's the gold!

H/T Instapundit

Pols sitting petty over Senate seat

Gov, Frank lock horns

Saturday, January 12, 2013

By

Hillary Chabot / Boston Herald

Scissors-32x32.png

A frustrated Gov. Deval Patrick — who’s clearly had enough of former U.S. Rep. Barney Frank’s public antics to win the interim U.S. Senate post — erupted yesterday when the Newton Democrat suggested Patrick would be “petty” if he passed over him because of his public lobbying.

“Guess what? I’m going to choose someone, and all the other people on my list are going to be mad that they didn’t get chosen,” said a laughing but annoyed Patrick. “I’m ready for that, so just relax. We will get to this when we get to it.”

Asked if Frank is capable of relaxing, Patrick laughed even harder.

Edited by saveliberty

STATE YOUR RACE!

I was actually kind of shocked today when I went online to register to vote and had to answer a race question–i.e. what was my “Ethnicity/Race”?–in order to finish the process. I would have thought race questions and voting registration don’t mix. I get to vote whichever way I answer, right?

The question wasn’t marked as optional–though other questions were, leaving the strong implication that if I declined to answer this one my registration wouldn’t go through. Nor was “decline to answer” one of the choices offered–only “Multi-racial” or “Other.”

Isn’t this arguably an excessive burden on a fundamental right–voting? You can’t tax me $10 to vote, but you can force me to answer a noxious question? What if they asked my religion? Where are Ward Connerly’s lawyers when we need them?

H/T Instapundit

The correct answer to State Your Race is (IMO) Drag

Budweiser_Top_Fuel_Dragster.jpg

• Like 1

25 People, Places, And Things Liberals Love To Hate

John Hawkins

1/12/13

1) Guns for making all those poor innocent criminals break the law.

11) Black men who don't take orders from white liberals.

21) Crazy radicals who believe our country should live within its means even if it means the guy who plays Big Bird won't be able to afford to have a butler.

24) All these Christians who actually insist on trying to stick to the Bible instead of Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi's interpretation of what God really meant to say.

Liz Warren cut by own 
‘jagged edge’

Jan 13, 2013

By

Howie Carr / Boston Herald

Scissors-32x32.png

Not so many moons ago, a fake Indian named Elizabeth Warren went on the warpath, trying to rile up the “middle class.”

The middle class was getting hammered, she kept saying. Psst, pass the word to the person behind you in the line at the cheese shop — the middle class is getting hammered.

How did Granny Warren know this? Because she grew up on what she termed “the jagged edge of the middle class.” Her definition of “jagged edge” was only having three cars in the family driveway in 1965, including her own personal white MG sports car.

Now, however, the fake Indian is in the U.S. Senate, and guess what — she can no longer define what the middle class is. Won’t even take a stab at it.

Shootings of young children should not become familiar

Jan 13, 2013

Peter Gelzinis / Boston Herald

011213clarke.jpg?c=dd6a51e781d0905a14379089d71e1cb0

CLOSE CALL:’ Gabriel Clarke, top photo, was shot Friday night on his way to choir practice at Berea Seventh-day Adventist Church in Roxbury. The 13-year-old will not join the list of children whose lives were lost to gun violence.

Scissors-32x32.png

It is an awful thing to say, but it happens to be true.

Because Gabriel Clarke did not die Friday night on his way to choir practice, because the bullet that entered his stomach did not end his 13-year-old life, this harrowingly “close call” will soon fade from our public consciousness.

After all, we’ve lived to see a 21-year-old mother and her 2-year-old son executed as they clung to each other on a Mattapan street.

Children in this city have been shot and killed while playing in their bedrooms, or dressed in their Halloween costumes, or dribbling a basketball, or sitting on their front stairs, or walking to school or following a parent who went to open the front door.

Oh no!

Now No. 3 in Scientology, Tom Cruise thinks he’s on planet to vanquish aliens: book

• By MAUREEN CALLAHAN
  • Last Updated: 6:05 AM, January 13, 2013
  • Posted: 1:36 AM, January 13, 2013

Scissors-32x32.png

Tom Cruise will save the world from aliens — not on the big screen but in real life.

His day job as an actor pales next to the billion-year contract of service he signed with the Church of Scientology, according to a bombshell new book, “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood & The Prison of Belief.” New Yorker writer Lawrence Wright details Cruise’s demigod status within the church, as well as the group’s ultimate purpose — protect humanity from aliens living in our bodies, who are bent on destroying us and ultimately the planet.

Cruise was introduced to the religion when he was 23 years old by his then-girlfriend, actress Mimi Rogers. Seven years his senior, Rogers was an avowed member of Scientology; they married in 1987. Cruise was quickly intrigued, but he kept his initial participation low-profile. He began undergoing “auditing” — a process in which church members are queried about every aspect of their lives — under his given name, Thomas Mapother IV.

Top Dems urging Obama to raise debt ceiling all voted against increase in ’06

January 12, 2013 | 11:38 am

Posted Image

President Barack Obama gestures as he answers a question during a joint news conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Friday, Jan. 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

The Washington Examiner

@ByronYork

Scissors-32x32.png

On Friday the Democratic leadership of the Senate — Majority Leader Harry Reid, Assistant Majority Leader Richard Durbin, Conference Chair Charles Schumer, and Conference Secretary Patty Murray — wrote to President Obama urging him to unilaterally raise the debt ceiling in the event that Republicans either block such an increase or attempt to pass one “as part of unbalanced or unreasonable legislation.”

“We believe that you must make clear that you will never allow our nation’s economy and reputation to be held hostage,” the Democrats wrote. “We believe you must be willing to take any lawful steps to ensure that America does not break its promises and trigger a global economic crisis — without congressional approval, if necessary.”

H/T Instapundit

Edited by saveliberty

Upraising

Andrew Stuttaford

To say that I’m pessimistic about how events in Egypt will eventually turn out is an understatement, but if you are interested in understanding the liberal moment in Cairo in early 2011, Uprising, a fine new documentary by Fredrik Stanton (full disclosure: an old friend), and which I saw last night, is an excellent place to start.

I just wish that I could have watched the footage of its articulate and often highly likable protagonists without the foreboding that I was watching images of a generation of exiles to come.

Do You Believe In Angels?

Posted by 911Infidel.jpg 911Infidel on January 13th, 2013 in Politics

Scissors-32x32.png

Back when I was a kid in my 20’s I was living in a tropical clime while gainfully employed by the US Army. And this is a true story.

My section was concerned because the Air Force was sling-loading old abandoned cars from the base and trying to drop them in a place that had a steep rolling front slope and was covered in elephant grass. That was our impact area; the place where we were dropping artillery. Too many of those cars just hit the ground and bounced down the slope into the tall grass where we couldn’t see them. Every now and again, one car would hit other old targets and stay in place. But most were lost in the tall grass.

Hmmm. Maybe we could get a better view of the target area from the adjacent hill?

Scenes from the Bush Institute debate

Scott Johnson

1/14/13

At the George W. Bush Institute they believe better education about economic principles is fundamental to achieving stronger economic growth. That’s why the institute launched a national economic debate program last year for high school debaters.

Last October more than 100 high school students from around the country converged on Dallas to debate the issues of infrastructure, property rights, and economic growth. The weekend was a huge success. They have posted some early footage from the weekend under the heading Scenes from the Bush Institute Economic Debate. Please check it out below.

• Like 1

Has anyone had to get a National ID card? Started this discussion on The Porch after Mr G went to get his license renewed and they told him he had to have one and that everyone must have one within the next 8 years?

Has anyone had to get a National ID card? Started this discussion on The Porch after Mr G went to get his license renewed and they told him he had to have one and that everyone must have one within the next 8 years?

National ID Card? That has a rather teutonic sound to it....Your Papers Please.

BTW we already have one, its called the social security card.

I don't want to go all Nutter on this, but I've alarm bells going off,

National ID Card? That has a rather teutonic sound to it....Your Papers Please.

BTW we already have one, its called the social security card.

I don't want to go all Nutter on this, but I've alarm bells going off,

A National ID Card For American Citizens? Get Ready – The Real ID Act Goes Into Effect On May 11 2011

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/a-national-id-card-for-american-citizens-get-ready-the-real-id-act-goes-into-effect-on-may-11