Coffee Shop

Rheo

I was reading The Deacon's Bench and this article was excerpted. I recommend reading the whole thing; it was harder than someone may think:

Can Forgiveness Play a Role in Criminal Justice?

By PAUL TULLIS

Published: January 4, 2013

Scissors-32x32.png

At 2:15 in the afternoon on March 28, 2010, Conor McBride, a tall, sandy-haired 19-year-old wearing jeans, a T-shirt and New Balance sneakers, walked into the Tallahassee Police Department and approached the desk in the main lobby. Gina Maddox, the officer on duty, noticed that he looked upset and asked him how she could help. “You need to arrest me,” McBride answered. “I just shot my fiancée in the head.” When Maddox, taken aback, didn’t respond right away, McBride added, “This is not a joke.”

06justice2-articleInline-v2.jpg

Ryan Pfluger for The New York Times

From left, Conor’s parents, Julie and Michael McBride, and Ann’s parents, Kate and Andy Grosmaire, at the Grosmaires’ home in Tallahassee, Fla.

Maddox called Lt. Jim Montgomery, the watch commander, to her desk and told him what she had just heard. He asked McBride to sit in his office, where the young man began to weep.

About an hour earlier, at his parents’ house, McBride shot Ann Margaret Grosmaire, his girlfriend of three years. Ann was a tall 19-year-old with long blond hair and, like McBride, a student at Tallahassee Community College. The couple had been fighting for 38 hours in person, by text message and over the phone. They fought about the mundane things that many couples might fight about, but instead of resolving their differences or shaking them off, they kept it up for two nights and two mornings, culminating in the moment that McBride shot Grosmaire, who was on her knees, in the face. Her last words were, “No, don’t!”

The Week In Stupid

Derek Hunter

1/6/13

Sometimes there is so much stupid going on in the world that you have to just stop and take stock of it all.

(Snip)

Of course there was a lot more stupid this week, but there’s only so much that can be crammed into one column. I’ll revisit this topic throughout the year because stupid is the only thing being created faster than the Federal Reserve is printing money.

Go about your week.

• Like 1

pollyannaish

@saveliberty that is a very thought provoking article. I think that in that particular case restorative justice was appropriate as well as the 20 year sentence. It was healing for all involved but still required a significant debt to be paid.

Murder is a complex subject. We tend to think in black and white, but I can't help but think we should be more thoughtful about our response to crime in general.

The comments section made my hackles go up so I quit reading them.

• Like 1

Thanks, @pollyannaish. I don't like to read comments from news organizations anymore. There is too much resentment.

Righteous indignation turned into something poisonous.

Revenge is when one person drinks poison and expects another person to die.

• Like 2

pollyannaish

I agree @saveliberty.

In listening to the podcast @Valin posted about the next big thing, I was struck by the discussion of how we react to things. Today, We offer conclusions before we understand the facts or the other arguments. It is making us.

Comment sections are, for the most part, great examples of this.

• Like 1

I agree @saveliberty.

In listening to the podcast @Valin posted about the next big thing, I was struck by the discussion of how we react to things. Today, We offer conclusions before we understand the facts or the other arguments. It is making us.

Comment sections are, for the most part, great examples of this.

I hope you are not insinuating that uninformed opinions are not to be taken seriously! smile.png

pollyannaish

Why yes I am @Valin! I may be an evil Conservative fir this, but I do not believe that all points if view, opinions and ideologies are equally valid.

I think I just black listed myself. ;)

• Like 1

Why yes I am @Valin! I may be an evil Conservative fir this, but I do not believe that all points if view, opinions and ideologies are equally valid.

I think I just black listed myself. ;)

The Left says that....until some evil ultra radical extremest right winger tries to speak up, then we hear SHUT UP!

BTW I have some opinions on prehistoric Polynesian culture. Don't know a darn thing about it, but I have opinions.

A friend of mine once said Opinions are like a**holes, every bodies got one...and most of them stink.

That's great @Valin! I consider myself an expert in Polynesian culture. We should have a discussion!

Are we talking paleolithic neolithic or mesolithic Polynesian culture? Because not knowing anything about these I would be more than happy to add my totally uninformed opinion on them.

Low Information Voter Thoughts

• How do I sign a check on the front?

• Why stop at Gun Free Zones? We should also create Crime Free Zones!

Scissors-32x32.png

• My body is my business, but so is what other people earn.

Scissors-32x32.png

• Someday I'll live in my OWN basement.

Found @ iOTW

• Like 3

righteousmomma

We have been watching the BBC series LUTHER on Netflix.

It is a gritty, psychological police mystery series starring Idris Elba as a brilliant and obsessive police officer.

What has become so apparent throughout the first 2 series is that eliminating guns does not do away with evil nor death nor suffering.

The officers do not carry guns for protection nor aid as is the case in real life London and the whole UK. They are at the mercy of the criminal. Crime is rampant.

Often knives and hammers are the weapons of choice by the gun less criminals. ( think of the mass murders in the school in the U.K. years ago where something like a machete was used by one deranged man) While some in the press and media in the UK are castigating us for our violent society they fail to acknowledge their own and the fact that cameras on every corner help but do not prevent rapes, murders and robberies.

Now I personally am not a gun lover. Early childhood trauma has forever scarred me into seeing only the death and suffering they can cause in an instant. A steady diet of cowboy westerns did not help either. I have gone target shooting once or twice but I just do not enjoy it.

However NCT who has no desire to shoot anyone likes the mechanists of how pistols and rifles are made. He loves the challenge of putting a little hole in a paper target. Truth be told he likes the security of knowing he has an effective deterrent in the event of a break in etc..

So guess all I am getting around to say is that LUTHER is a good dose of realism in this new liberal world order we are all being sucked into like a black hole.

With all this talk of publishing the lists of names of gun owners, for the first time in my life I'm thinking it would be good to own one just so any bad guy might be deterred from thinking about trying to break into our house!

We have been watching the BBC series LUTHER on Netflix.

It is a gritty, psychological police mystery series starring Idris Elba as a brilliant and obsessive police officer.

What has become so apparent throughout the first 2 series is that eliminating guns does not do away with evil nor death nor suffering.

The officers do not carry guns for protection nor aid as is the case in real life London and the whole UK. They are at the mercy of the criminal. Crime is rampant.

Often knives and hammers are the weapons of choice by the gun less criminals. ( think of the mass murders in the school in the U.K. years ago where something like a machete was used by one deranged man) While some in the press and media in the UK are castigating us for our violent society they fail to acknowledge their own and the fact that cameras on every corner help but do not prevent rapes, murders and robberies.

Now I personally am not a gun lover. Early childhood trauma has forever scarred me into seeing only the death and suffering they can cause in an instant. A steady diet of cowboy westerns did not help either. I have gone target shooting once or twice but I just do not enjoy it.

However NCT who has no desire to shoot anyone likes the mechanists of how pistols and rifles are made. He loves the challenge of putting a little hole in a paper target. Truth be told he likes the security of knowing he has an effective deterrent in the event of a break in etc..

So guess all I am getting around to say is that LUTHER is a good dose of realism in this new liberal world order we are all being sucked into like a black hole.

Thanks, @righteousmomma!

If more people were familiar with firearms....had even a basic understanding & knowledge....by learning safety & shooting, there would be less paranoia & we could try fixing the real problems we face. We need to understand that it is a tool for our safety, against people that do not respect the rule of law. Plenty of them around. I was taught to shoot & gun safety, by my father....I first went hunting with him as well. I taught my sons the same things. Firearm safety with small children is paramount, but they should learn to respect the power & not fear it. Taking a child to an open area & making them shoot a fence post with a 12 gauge shotgun....gives them an idea of what can happen if safety is not followed.

Every gun is loaded. It does not become unloaded until the action is opened, the magazine removed & the barrel inspected. No gun is unloaded.

Do not pick up a gun. Tell an adult about any gun that you find.

Let your children & grandchildren know that you are available to talk about guns & even allow them to hold & inspect them, at an appropriate time & place....and keep all firearms in a safe [trigger locks are cheap, or gun safe] place, with ammunition in a separate & locked place. There are great options for gun safes now....i.e. finger pad, or digital...even a key lock that is removed every day & only placed in the safe at night when you are home.

BTW: Really like Idris Elba & Luther....haven't seen any new ones yet. Justified starts it's new season today, another great show....but adult content.

• Like 1

Poll: Congress Less Popular Than Root Canals, Cockroaches And Lice…

A new poll shows that Congress is less popular than carnies, root canals and colonoscopies, but more popular than the ebola virus, meth labs and gonorrhea.

Those findings are in a Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey released Tuesday showed that 9 percent of the respondents held a favorable opinion of Congress, while 85 percent held an unfavorable view.

“We all know Congress is unpopular,” said Dean Debnam, PPP president. “But the fact that voters like it even less than cockroaches, lice and Genghis Kahn real shows how far its esteem has fallen with the American public over the last few weeks.”

Scissors-32x32.png

Via WeaselZippers & the Washington Times:

• Like 1

Inauguration News!

Obama Picks Non-Clergy Member To Deliver Inauguration Prayer For First Time In History…

Widow of slain Civil Rights Icon, Medgar Evers, to deliver prayer....

...and the Reparation Tour begins it's next 4 year plan...

Racist! Obamabots Must Show ID To Get Into Obama’s Inauguration…

Be prepared with valid ID (for yourself and every member of the family).

Question: I know the many, many dead Obama voters will be lining up for this.....but maybe someone can explain the optics & transportation issues that will be involved....although they won't need food & lodging....

Found @ WeaselZippers

• Like 1

Obama Gives Hezbollah 200 Armored Personnel Carriers

Why are we giving 200 APC's to a group that in 1983, killed 63 US Marines & injured 120 in Beirut? This is the utter madness that issues from Obama's evil cabal.

I agree, the madness continues. I expect we will be shaking our heads often for the next 4 years.