LIVE THREAD: Six Pitfalls in Town Hall Style Debate

Valin

six-pitfalls-in-town-hall-style-debateContentions:

Alana Goodman

10/15/12

Because tomorrow's debate will be in a town hall format with audience interaction, it's going to pose different challenges for the candidates than the last podium debate. Here are six pitfalls President Obama and Mitt Romney might run into:

1. Getting too personal:

2. Rambling too much:

3. Failing to connect with the audience:

4. Physical appearances are more obvious:

5. Getting rattled:

6. Not staying for the aftershow:

5 Things to Watch at Second Presidential Debate

Devin Dwyer

10/16/12

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Exactly three weeks before voters head to the polls, President Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney face-off here today for the second presidential debate that could again chart a new course for the general election campaign.

In an email to supporters Monday, Obama for the first time declared the race “tied,” conceding that a lead he held ahead of the first debate has shrunk or disappeared. Romney meanwhile has been touting what he calls a “growing crescendo of enthusiasm” for his campaign.

Tonight’s debate – a town hall style showdown – could provide an opportunity for each candidate to gain the edge he desires.

(Snip)

I think there is one other very important thing that the media misses. Romney will win if he connects to the audience. My suspicion is he will. He would do well to focus on them and ignore Obama and Crowley. I believe however, Obama will be focused on Romney. He will be trying to score points off of him. As long as that happens...he is toast.

• Like 2

They keep yaking on TV about how great O is at connecting with people due to his experiene as a community idiot, I would just imagine that Mitt has a lot of experience in connecting with people, he hasn't made it this far in business without mastering how to persuade people to his way

• Like 1

You are right@cudjo. I personally don't think Obama connects at all one on one. Just look how he's treated congress! And his ex-aide saying he doesn't like people.

He is a total mirage.

• Like 2

Moderator Role Under Scrutiny — Before the Debate

http://thepage.time....ore-the-debate/

Scissors-32x32.png

While an early-October memorandum of understanding between the Obama and Romney campaigns suggests that CNN’s Candy Crowley would play a limited role in the Tuesday-night session, Crowley, who is not a party to that agreement, has done a series of interviews on her network in which she has suggested that she will assume a broader set of responsibilities. As Crowley put it last week, “Once the table is kind of set by the town-hall questioner, there is then time for me to say, ‘Hey, wait a second, what about X, Y, Z?’”

Scissors-32x32.png

Only on CNN, would a "moderator" give herself a series of interviews......then again.......how many are watching her show....on her network?

• Like 1

From Twitchy....first the Axelrod....and then, one of the retweets....

David Axelrod

@davidaxelrod 15 Oct 12

Sick. Mitt mouthpiece jumps shark. RT @JRubinBlogger: First Bill humiliates her and now Obama does.. Hillary no feminist, more like doormat

***************************************************************************************************************************************

106-Gray__2__normal.jpg Jennifer Rubin @JRubinBlogger

@davidaxelrod so is Obama going to hide behind her skirt Tuesday night? Why would the president let Hillary end her career in disgrace?

What disturbs me most of all about this particularly debate is that there actually 100* morons in the USA who have not yet made up their minds and they are all gathered in one location. You'd have to have the brain power of a radish not to have an opinion.

100 morons plus 2 Obama and Crowley makes for 102 idiots

• Like 1

If it helps calm anyone else's nerves: (I can't help it, I always get worried and jittery before these things.)

gallery_8_26_27864.jpg

• Like 2

What disturbs me most of all about this particularly debate is that there actually 100* morons in the USA who have not yet made up their minds and they are all gathered in one location. You'd have to have the brain power of a radish not to have an opinion.

Ah, but you assume they have not already made up their minds just because they say so.

Ah, but you assume they have not already made up their minds just because they say so.

I haven't made up my mind either. I'm waiting to see who the winner of tonight is going to be and then vote for Gary Johnson. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I haven't made up my mind either. I'm waiting to see who the winner of tonight is going to be and then vote for Gary Johnson. :rolleyes:

Who? rolleyes.gif

I haven't made up my mind either. I'm waiting to see who the winner of tonight is going to be and then vote for Gary Johnson. rolleyes.gif

Who? rolleyes.gif

Snort.

Did I miss a live link on this thread already?

These are the days I miss cable. I can stand it for two days out of the year.

I haven't made up my mind either. I'm waiting to see who the winner of tonight is going to be and then vote for Gary Johnson. rolleyes.gif

Who? rolleyes.gif

Snort.

Gary Johnson Now I remember! biggrin.png

Did I miss a live link on this thread already?

These are the days I miss cable. I can stand it for two days out of the year.

Live Link

The second in the series of three Presidential Debates will take place tonight featuring a "town hall" style format from Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. This debate will be 90 minutes long and will featured pre-screened questions from a group of undecided voters. The topics will range from domestic to foreign policy and everything in between. We will have the live stream embedded so you can watch the debate right here on this page.

Live Stream: Starting at 8pm et / 5pm pt

Channels: ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and more including CNN Espanol and others

Now I remember why I don't watch O'Reilly.

ok, he just made me laugh when Colmes said Bush Admin...he started clapping as it was so expected for him to go back to the ex president and not this president.

• Like 1

O'Reilly just drives me nuts with his big blabbery mouth

He never shuts up and interrupts. arggg.

and he knows everything and I mean everything, nobody has a better idea than he does

• Like 3