American killed in attack on US Consulate in Libya, security official says, following Egyptian protest at US embassy

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

egyptian-protesters-scale-us-embassy-wall-in-cairoFox News:

A movie attacking Islam's prophet Muhammad sparked assaults on U.S. diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday. A Libyan security official reported an American was shot to death as protesters burned the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, and in Cairo, protesters scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy walls and replaced an American flag with an Islamic banner.

It was the first such assaults on U.S. diplomatic facilities in either country, at a time when both Libya and Egypt are struggling to overcome the turmoil following the ouster of their longtime leaders, Muammar Qaddafi and Hosni Mubarak in uprisings last year.

The protests in both countries were sparked by outrage over a video being promoted by an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian campaigner in the United States.

In the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, a large mob stormed the U.S. Consulate, with gunmen firing their weapons, said Wanis al-Sharef, an Interior Ministry official in Bengazi. A witness said attackers fired automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades at the consulate they clashed with Libyans hired to guard the facility.

Outnumbered by the crowd, Libyan security forces did little to stop them, al-Sharef said.

The crowd overwhelmed the facility and set fire to it, burning most of it and looting the contents, witnesses said.

One American was shot to death and a second was wounded in the hand, al-Sharef said. He did not give further details, and there was no immediate U.S. confirmation of the death.

________

The State Department will no doubt warn other embassies against hurting peoples' feelings...

Tuesday's focus on the controversial film also drew comparisons to outcry generated from a 2008 movie produced by an anti-Muslim Dutch lawmaker, which then sought to portray Islam as a violent religion.

Where would anyone get that idea?

A couple of images (did not want to copy them here for copyright reasons).

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120912013934-libya-consulate-protests-horizontal-gallery.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120912015114-cairo-update-02-horizontal-gallery.jpg

The 2nd image seems to have Obama watching things burn...

@WestVirginiaRebel

@clearvision

Obama administration disavows Cairo apology

BYRON TAU

9/11/12 10:10 PM EDT

The Obama administration is disavowing a statement from its own Cairo embassy that seemed to apologize for anti-Muslim activity in the United States.

"The statement by Embassy Cairo was not cleared by Washington and does not reflect the views of the United States government," an administration official told POLITICO.

(Snip)

"Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a Tuesday statement.

(Snip)

Looks like someone at the State Dept. found a clue laying around.

Newt Gingrich on Libya/Egypt attacks: We need to be standing up for and defending freedom

Newt Gingrich says that these attacks on our embassies and consulates aren’t just coincidental, but rather there are “substantial factions” who look for opportunities to attack America:

“There’s a substantial faction, particularly in Benghazi, which was sending people to Iraq to kill Americans. There’s a substantial faction in Egypt which wants to defeat the United States and destroy Israel. That faction looks for opportunities to do things to hurt the United States and yesterday was the example of an attack that’s part of a very long war that we’re going to be at for a very long time.”

(Snip)

Gingrich also defends Romney’s statement yesterday, which is clearly coming under false attacks by the Obama campaign, and says that we must be standing up for and defending freedom against these attacks.

Watch At Link

Time for Obama to quit casting blame and do something. This is a real wake up call because it is coordinated and spreading fast.

I swear Obama is transforming into Carter right in front of us.

Time for Obama to quit casting blame and do something.

Like what? Not that I necessarily disagree with you but the question must be ask...Do What?

I mean venting is all well and good, but at the end of the day......know what I mean.

I don't know that he can actually DO anything. But what he can do is at least appear engaged and provide tough coherent leadership on the issue.

He should be talking to Netenyahu in the Whitehouse, addressing Americans directly and sending his minions out with a clear message that they don't have to walk back in a couple of hours.

To continue to hang out with Letterman, not meet the deadline necessary for fiscal leadership not only makes put is in fiscal danger T home, it makes him look weak to our enemies.

Engaged leadership is a powerful tool. Obama is truly fiddling while Rome burns...and it is disconcerting.

Official White House statement

I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.

I have directed my Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya, and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe. While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

On a personal note, Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya's transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss.

The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward.

Killing of US envoy to Libya underscores threat of unchecked religious fanaticism

US ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens was killed when Islamists attacked the Benghazi consulate in reaction to a video produced in the US that insulted the prophet Muhammad.

By Kristen Chick, Correspondent / September 12, 2012

0912-ambassador-libya-chris-stevens-killed_full_380.jpg

In this April 2011 file photo, US envoy Christopher Stevens (c.), speaks to Council member for Misrata Dr. Suleiman Fortia (r.) at the Tibesty Hotel where an African Union delegation was meeting with opposition leaders in Benghazi, Libya. Libyan officials say the US ambassador and three other Americans have been killed when Islamists attacked the Benghazi consulate in reaction to a video produced in the US that insulted the prophet Muhammad.

Ben Curtis/AP/File

Cairo

The US ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, and three diplomatic staff members were killed last night when Islamists attacked the American consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, the State Department confirmed today.

Coupled with the overrunning of the US embassy in Cairo yesterday, the incident illustrates the challenge that post-revolution governments face in reining in newly empowered hardliners.

The armed Islamists who attacked and burned the consulate in Benghazi were reportedly angered by a film mocking the prophet Mohammed that was produced in the US. International television channels like Al Jazeera aired footage today of the burned and ransacked consulate building. A US official in Scissors-32x32.png read more

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2012/0912/Killing-of-US-envoy-to-Libya-underscores-threat-of-unchecked-religious-fanaticism

I don't know that he can actually DO anything. But what he can do is at least appear engaged and provide tough coherent leadership on the issue.

From the Campaign Thread...

"Here is the interesting thing I have noticed about foreign policy/affairs over the years. No matter how much the campaigns may want, the world does not stop just because we want it to.

Remember in 2000 no one was talking about foreign policy. To tell yopu the truth I don't think either campaign wants foreign affairs to intrude in the campaign. If they did, we'd be seeing a lot different campaign. EU, anyone? Anyone talking about the power vacuum in China? I could go on and on and on.

The Romney campaign is We're Broke...vote for me I'm not Obama. The Obama campaign is War on Women, War on Gays...vote for me I'm not Romney."

Obama doesn't want to take anything away from his campaign theme. Today he will be forced to address this issue. He will be dragged kicking and screaming to talk about this. The political questions I have are A. will this be a one or two day story (it will if Obama has anything to say about it, and he may not) B. Will The Romney campaign have the sense god gave an animal cracker to take advantage of it by saying he will be more than happy to meet with Netenyahu. I have my doubts.

O is speaking on this now

Will my heart soar?

of course unless you're aracist republican

Darn! And here I was really hoping my heart would soar! sigh

basically he said justice will be done, whatever he means by that

In his defense...what was he supposed to say? This is the sort of thing Presidents say at a time like this.

Meanwhile...

Somalia's new president survives Shebab blasts

0/12/12

(AFP)

MOGADISHU — Somalia's president survived an assassination bid Wednesday, just two days into his new job, when bomb blasts claimed by Islamist rebels rocked the Mogadishu hotel where he was meeting Kenya's foreign minister.

Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was unharmed after two blasts went off outside the hotel where he had been staying in central Mogadishu, but three soldiers were killed in what appeared to be an attack by multiple suicide bombers.

"There has been a blast around the hotel where the president was. The president is safe. All the people who were inside the hotel are safe," Ali Houmed, spokesman for the African Union mission in Somalia (AMISOM) told AFP.

(Snip)

H/T @Draggingtree,

In his defense...what was he supposed to say? This is the sort of thing Presidents say at a time like this.

What are you, a Romney campaign strategist now?

What are you, a Romney campaign strategist now?

he needs all the help he can get since the press is in the bag for O

US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens Murdered in Benghazi Libya

Confirmed: FSO Sean Smith Also Killed

The US ambassador to Lybia J. Christopher Stevens was murdered by Islamic militants on the 11th anniversary of 9/11. May he rest in peace. Three other staffers were also murdered in the attack.

ambassadorstevens.jpeg

sean%20smith_fso_killed.jpgSean Smith

Update by SH: Foreign Service Information Officer Sean Smith confirmed as one of the three others killed:

Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague.

The Mittani, an online gaming community, posted this tribute to Smith: RIP Vile Rat

We pray for the families of those murdered and that justice is served on those who attack the United States. Scissors-32x32.png read more

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/213549.php#213549