How to make: Huevos rancheros

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

best-huevos-rancheros.jpg?w=640&h=427&crop=1

Huevos rancheros – fried eggs and colorful, rich salsa over hearty tortillas – combine in this delicious dish that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch. (Photo/Nina Terrero)

How to make: Huevos rancheros

by Nina Terrero, @thenininsky

5:00 am on 08/14/2012

There are few pleasures as indulgent – or delicious – as Saturday morning brunch, and more often than not when I’m at a restaurant, I order huevos rancheros. They’re fairly simple (just a heavenly triumvirate of corn tortillas, salsa and eggs) but How to make: Huevos rancheros smothering creamy eggs, whose rich yolk compliments the wholesome crunch of corn tortillas. It’s comfort food at its best for households across Mexico and the United States; after all, with corn tortillas more common here than white bread and eggs being a cheap refrigerator staple, it only seems natural that salsita – whether freshly made or leftover from the previous night’s enchiladas – be used to tie it all together in this savory dish.

“You can eat it every single day and never get bored,” says Chef Julian Medina, a Mexico City transplant who owns a string of six successful pan-Latin restaurants in New York City. His father would set massive plates of ranch-style eggs (aptly named for the rancheros in Mexico who frequently asked for this style of eggs for their hearty mid-morning meal) before him and his two brothers several times a week before sending them all off to school. And while I happen to love a generous serving of fiery red tomato salsa on my eggs, Medina prefers the puckery flavor of green tomatillo salsa (“the tomatillos have a citrusy, tangy flavor that plays up the delicate flavor of the eggs,” he says) and serves his version atop a bed of toothsome rice and hearty black beans.

While we offer both versions here (lucky you!), there’s no right or wrong way to make this belly-warming, hangover-beating favorite: feel free to add a dollop of luscious crema or opt for poached or scrambled eggs with which to top your tortillas. After all, the secret to a great breakfast or brunch is that it’s always made just the way you like it.

Huevos rancheros with red tomato salsa

http://nbclatino.com/2012/08/14/how-to-make-huevos-rancheros/

righteousmomma

LOVE them too, Nickydog. ( of course I love anything with an egg on top - except pizza, on that I draw the line.

I will make both versions but will probably not use Chihuahua cheese. I prefer cheddar or the cheddar/Jack mixture.