The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln

Valin

Yale Professor Stephen L. Carter talks to Glenn Reynolds about his novel The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln. What would have happened if Lincoln had not been assassinated? This is the premise of Carter's book. Carter is not arguing that Lincoln would have been impeached or should have been impeached, but looks at what would have happened had the 16th president been impeached. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, and his administration closed newspapers and even subjected journalists to courts martial. Is this adequate grounds to remove the first Republican president from office? Find out.

The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln

logicnreason

This will probably result in personal slurs directed my way, or start a firestorm, but here goes.

IMHO...Lincoln was, at best, a mediocre president - and by present standards - a racial bigot.

"What if", Grant had been selected as the first Union Commander, and the north had been definitively winning the civil war by 1862??

Any "Emancipation Proclimation"??

I think not.

Lincoln was no more a "great emancipator" than were the vast majority of citizens of his time.

The emancipation proclimation was a political move - and probably illegal at that. Nothing more.

Ok....attack if you will.....

• Like 1

@logicnreason

There's a reason why Googling Lincoln and overrated gets you several hundred thousand hits.

One of Lincoln's less repeated quotes

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it" -- Lincoln

• Like 1

logicnreason

@logicnreason

There's a reason why Googling Lincoln and overrated gets you several hundred thousand hits.

One of Lincoln's less repeated quotes

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it" -- Lincoln

I agree! The entire quote is presented below....

August 22, 1862

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

Lincoln was a politician and a precursor to Alinski, "Find an issue, or create one, and beat the enemy over the head with it until it is no longer effective; then repeat the process..

logicnreason

@logicnreason

and if you search

Obama and overrated presidents

you get in the millions of hits

wallbash.gif

True enough....let's hope all of them vote this November! We've got lots of illegal aliens and dead people to overcome.

@logicnreason

Yes, we need to remove all cancers and hemmoRhEIDS. You are right about Dem voting tactics- absentee ballot procedures will be greatly abused in the coming months.