The Virtuous Woman (Pro 31:10-31)

raygun

The woman described in Proverbs 31 is so exemplary and so virtuous, and so diligent to perform all her duties that women today - who actually have a heart to please God (in this day and age) - may find it difficult or even discouraging to try to follow her example. "How could I ever measure up to such a godly woman? When I think of how I have carried out my responsibilities a wife or as a mother or even as an unmarried woman, compared to this person described in Proverbs 31, I am of all women most miserable!". The following dissertion is of two parts, the first being exhortation, the second that of condemnation.

Beginning with Pro 31:10 22 the verses subsequently stated by the author begin with a different Hebrew letter. The order of verses are in that of proper order of the Hebrew alphabet. This same alphabetical 'construct' is found in some of the Psalms. It is speculated that this may have been a mnemonic to aid retention of ancient oral Hebrew history.

The most well-known 'alphabetical' Psalm is Psalm 119 where there are 22 alphabetical sections of eight verses each. Nevertheless, the Hebrew text of Proverbs 31 presents each verse clearly divided into two parts (for example, in verse 10---Part 1: Who can find a virtuous woman? Part 2: For her price is far above rubies). This same two-part format is found in all of these verses. The only exception might be verse 15 which seems to be divided into three parts.

Who can find a virtuous woman? - Pro 31:10a [emp. mine]

Frankly, this verse reminds me of somthing written by the Prophet (self purported author of Ecclesiastes) and has something to do with 'friends'. Looking at the ancient Hebrew of the text: the first part of verse 10 literally reads, "Who can find a woman of strength?" The term "virtuous" is from a noun meaning strength, efficiency, ability. Here it refers to strength of character, that is, moral strength and firmness. I'll settle for a guy with the same qualities.

In Exo 18:21 the expression is used of men. Moses was to find "able men" (lit.--"men of strength") such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness. In light of this verse we can say that a virtuous man is one who fears God, loves truth and hates sin.

Moses was to look for and find such men, and the implication is that such men were not easy to find. If men possessing such qualities are hard to find, then women of identical charateristics are, what? Dime a dozen? If one believes what the Prophet writes in Ecc, i.e., one will be hard pressed to count on one hand the number of their friends, and if they can actually do so: such person is blessed beyond comprehension.

The expression used in Pro 31:10a is also used in I Kgs 1:42 ("valiant man" or "man of strength") and I Kgs 1:52 ("worthy man" or "man of strength"). In this latter passage (v. 52) we learn that the opposite of a virtuous man is a man in whom wickedness is found. Thus a virtuous man is a man of great moral strength, in whom wickedness is not found. He is a godly, God-fearing man. So also, the virtuous woman is a God-fearing woman--compare Pro 31:10 with 31:30. RTH 3:11 states that everyone in the city knew she was a virtuous woman!

When a woman has strength of character (fears God, loves truth, hates sin), then others will take note and recognize this. It will be very obvious because it is so unusual. People are atypically so morally weak and so anemic in character, that when a man or woman of strength shows up it is quite evident to all. The other place the term is used is in Pro 12:4 where we learn that a virtuous woman (lit--a woman of strength) does not make her husband ashamed.

For her price is far above rubies - Pro 31:10b

Edited by Valin
edited for language