Coffee Shop

Rheo

Navy SEAL Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado

http://sofrep.com/96...lorado-survive/

That is really interesting! I especially like the idea of the flashlight.

I agree. Very well written. Even though I have a firearm license and carry from time to time, it is not ideal for every situation. I like the idea of the flashlight, too! The seconds that a flashlight like that could give you might make a monumental difference in the outcome.

seattletimeslogo_inside_pulitzer.gif

Originally published July 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Yankees trade: Ichiro asked Mariners to deal him weeks ago

2018756104.jpg

Mariners players were sitting around the clubhouse Monday afternoon when they heard jaw-dropping news on television: Ichiro, the franchise's icon since coming over from Japan in 2001, had been traded to the Yankees.

"I was shocked when I saw the TV. I think the whole clubhouse is — the whole baseball world," Mariners outfielder Michael Saunders said. "When you picture Ichi, you always picture him with No. 51 in a Mariner uniform."

But now he'll be wearing No. 31 for the Yankees. And by remarkable coincidence, the Yankees are in Seattle for a series at Safeco Field, and Ichiro wore a New York uniform for the first time Monday night in a start against his former team.

When he came to bat in the third inning, the crowd of 29,911 gave him an extended ovation. He stepped out of the batter's box, took off his helmet and bowed twice to the crowd. Ichiro then lined a single to center field, the 2,534th hit of his major-league career and the first when he wasn't wearing a Mariners uniform.

Earlier, his eyes glistening at a hastily called news conference, Ichiro began by thanking the fans and said, "When I think about the last 11 ½ years, about the time and feelings of the last 11 ½ years, and when I imagine taking off a Mariners uniform, I was overcome with sadness. It has made this a very difficult decision to make."

But he admitted the prospect of moving from the last-place Mariners to the first-place Yankees — and a chance for his first-ever World Series appearance — was enticing.

"I went from a team that's had the most losses to a team having the most wins, so it's been hard to maintain my excitement in that regard," he said through interpreter Ken Barron.

Scissors-32x32.png

Few saw the trade coming, but it had been in the works since shortly after the All-Star break, when Ichiro's agent approached the Mariners to say his client was interested in being traded. Tony Attanasio said Ichiro first broached the possibility "months ago."

"We were just looking to see what the right time was, and when the kids coming up were able to carry the club," Attanassio said. "He knows the club has to grow. He knows the younger players need more playing time. The only way he knows how to do that is to move on, because he doesn't want to stop playing."

Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln said the team agreed to Ichiro's request.

"... He deserves a chance to play for a contending team before the end of his magnificent career," Lincoln said. "The Mariners certainly should not stand in his way."

Lincoln lauded Ichiro's contribution to the Mariners. He won two batting titles, was a 10-time All-Star, won 10 Gold Glove awards, set the season hit record with 262 in 2004, and was the American League MVP and Rookie of the Year in 2001.

One of the few athletes whose last name — Suzuki — is unnecessary, Ichiro was the first position player from Japan in the major leagues. He also remains enormously popular in his home country and paved the way for several Japanese position players to follow.

"Simply put, Ichiro changed Major League Baseball and the game at the international level," Lincoln said. "I'll miss watching the most exciting all-around player I've ever seen in my lifetime. I hope one day to be in Cooperstown, N.Y., to watch Ichiro be inducted in the National Baseball Hall of Fame, an honor he clearly deserves."

Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

clearvision

A massive Air Force cargo plane landed at a Florida airport meant for planes 20 times smaller, causing panic and confustion at the tiny air strip.

The C-17 Globemaster III was supposed to land at MacDill Air Force Base near Tampa on Friday afternoon, but instead touched down 10 miles away at Peter O. Knight Airport at around 1: 20 p.m.

---------

3400ft runway instead of 11,000. Even though it is a good demonstration of aircraft capabilities and pilot talent... I suspect a promotion may be pushed off.

• Like 2

saveliberty

I am noisy when I type on the computer, in no small part because I learned to type on a manual typewriter.

For you youngsters, that means that there were two tin cans and a string...

Wait, that isn't right.

I saw this and I was glad to hear it, but I can see how the appeal would wear off:

H/T Deacon Greg

• Like 3

saveliberty

The Alleluia that Defeats the Chill of Evil – UPDATE

July 24, 2012 By Elizabeth Scalia

Scissors-32x32.png

A friend of mine sent me this piece from the WSJ on the “rapid descent” of the Aurora shooter, pointing to one paragraph, in particular:

On June 25, the Lead Valley Range received Mr. Holmes’ online application with answers to basic questions about age, gun ownership and drug use; all seemed normal, said range owner Glenn Rotkovich.

Mr. Rotkovich called Mr. Holmes to set up an orientation time, and heard an “incoherent, bizarre” voice-mail message, which he described as “very guttural.” “There was all kinds of low groaning in the middle,” Mr. Rotkovich said. He called twice more and left three messages. The range never heard from Mr. Holmes.

You know where my friend’s head went, with that, right? Exactly the same place yours just went, and mine went, when I read it. Chilling but then, we have always understood that what took place last Friday was a rampage of evil.

Read the whole thing.

‘The Jeffersons’ Sherman Hemsley dies

The actor passed away at his home in El Paso, Texas on Tuesday. He is believed to have died from natural causes, according to TMZ.com.

Born in Philadelphia, Penn, Hemsley got his break in showbusiness in the early 1970s, making his Broadway debut in a production of the play Purlie.

It was during his stage stint that he caught the eye of TV writer and producer Norman Lear, who reached out to Hemsley and asked him to star as George Jefferson in new sitcom All in the Family.

(Snip)

Sherman Helmsley Moves up to the Deluxe Apartment in the Sky

&

Remembering Sherman Hemsley and his portrayal of black church life

pollyannaish

‘The Jeffersons’ Sherman Hemsley dies

The actor passed away at his home in El Paso, Texas on Tuesday. He is believed to have died from natural causes, according to TMZ.com.

Born in Philadelphia, Penn, Hemsley got his break in showbusiness in the early 1970s, making his Broadway debut in a production of the play Purlie.

It was during his stage stint that he caught the eye of TV writer and producer Norman Lear, who reached out to Hemsley and asked him to star as George Jefferson in new sitcom All in the Family.

(Snip)

Sherman Helmsley Moves up to the Deluxe Apartment in the Sky

&

Remembering Sherman Hemsley and his portrayal of black church life

He finally got a piece of the pie. blush.png Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Loved his show when I was a kid. The black Archie Bunker.

SrWoodchuck

Iranian Nuclear Facilities Targeted By Malware Virus That Plays AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” At Full Blast….

http://weaselzippers.us/2012/07/24/iranian-nuclear-facilities-targeted-by-malware-virus-that-plays-acdcs-thunderstruck-at-full-blast/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsmXLGKdkW4&feature=player_embedded

H/T:WeaselZippers

In 2010, Iran’s nuclear facilities were infiltrated by Stuxnet, the centrifuge-wrecking malware allegedly cooked up by the US government. Now they seem to have been hit again by a bizarre attack forcing nuclear plant workstations to pump the song

by heavy metal band AC/DC through the speakers at full volume.

News of the attack comes from Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at Finnish computer security firm F-Secure, who says he recently received a series of emails from a scientist working at the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI):

“I am writing you to inform you that our nuclear program has once again been compromised and attacked by a new worm with exploits which have shut down our automation network at Natanz and another facility Fordo near Qom.”

Scissors-32x32.png

“There was also some music playing randomly on several of the workstations during the middle of the night with the volume maxed out,” says the scientist. “I believe it was playing ‘Thunderstruck’ by AC/DC.”

Yessssssss! Awesome!

CHRISTIANS Around The World Riot! Hundreds Die. Christian Leaders Call For Calm and punishment for those who desecrate their Holy Book.

(Note: Some sarcasm may be present)

SrWoodchuck

@ TheBlaze

New Book’s Ironic Claim: Catholic Church Paid to Send Obama to an Alinsky-Founded Group’s Community Organizing Training (See the Documents)

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 8:33am by billyhallowell.thumbnail.pngBilly Hallowell

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/new-books-ironic-claim-catholic-church-paid-to-send-obama-to-an-alinsky-founded-groups-community-organizing-training-see-the-documents/

A new book by conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly and American Spectator journalist George Neumayr exposes never-before-seen documents that purportedly show that the Catholic Church supported, and gave monies to, Barack Obama in the 1980s to attend a community organizing training with the Saul Alinsky-founded Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF). Additionally, in “No Higher Power,” the authors highlight other problematic funding and allegiances between the Church and ultra-liberal causes.

Scissors-32x32.png

Let’s start with the IAF, the organization that put on the training session that the Church purportedly paid to send Obama to. Previously, we have delved deeply into IAF and its use of faith to capture for political gain. The infamous, ultra-left group was founded back in 1940 by Alinsky, the father of community organizing. As we’ve reported, IAF, which is still very active today, is known for using religion as an adhesive force to bring individuals together in support of Democratic principles and candidates.

Naturally, there’s some irony considering that the Catholic Church allegedly paid to send Obama to a far-leftist training, specifically when it comes to the current state of affairs between the president and bishops. Here’s an exclusive portion of the book that delves into the support that Obama allegedly received from the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD), an arm of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops:

In the 1980s, the Catholic archdiocese of Chicago contributed to the training of Obama in the very Alinskyite radicalism that would culminate in such anti-religious measures as the HHS mandate. In fact, in the course of writing this book, we met a source who once had access to copies of documents from the archives of the Chicago archdiocese. This source supplied us with never-before-published copies of invoices, checks, and letters that confirm the Church’s support for the man who would one day seek to destroy its religious freedom.

In a series of appendices, we have reproduced the check and invoice showing that the archdiocese of Chicago paid for Obama’s plane trip to a conference in Los Angeles run by the Industrial Areas Foundation, the community organizing group founded by Alinsky.

TheBlaze has secured the alleged documents, which the book says were given to the authors by someone who had access to Church archives and are also presented in the appendix of “No Higher Power.”

Scissors-32x32.png

H/T:http://barnhardt.biz/

You know life as a cop can be a dirty dangerous thankless job. Some day's I bet they ask themselves Why Am I doing This? OTOH some days they are forced to admit Life Is Good!

righteousmomma

Rheo, thanks for the Ulstermann reports. Whether he/they are hoaxes or not there is evidence to support much of what was said - especially about Leo Gerard and the current ideology.

Just google or do a muckety.com and it's amazing.

WestVirginiaRebel

Menino says he can’t actively block Chick-fil-A

“I can’t do that. That would be interference to his rights to go there,” Menino said, referring to company president Dan Cathy, who drew the mayor’s wrath by going public with his views against same-sex marriage.

The mayor added: “I make mistakes all the time. That’s a Menino-ism.”

saveliberty

d879c0_fowl_07272012.jpg

Chick-fil-A beef puts mayor in pressure cooker

daveWedge.jpg?1=1 By Dave Wedge

Friday, July 27, 2012 - Updated 4 hours ago

Scissors-32x32.png

Mayor Thomas M. Menino withdrew his threat to ban Chick-fil-A from Boston over the chicken chain president’s anti-gay marriage stance — but the Hub Democrat remained in the crosshairs of national conservatives, including former GOP presidential hopefuls Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee.

“When I heard of the vicious hate speech and economic bullying being directed toward the (CEO Dan) Cathy family and their Chick-fil-A company, it was stunning. In the name of ‘tolerance’ a group was exercising extreme intolerance and trying to censor a citizen by threatening their business,” Huckabee told the Herald last night.

saveliberty

Menino’s feathers are showing

howie_carr.gif?1=1 By Howie Carr

Friday, July 27, 2012 - Updated 5 hours ago

Scissors-32x32.png

Mumbles chickened out.

This whole Chick-fil-A fiasco turned into, as he would say, an Alcatraz around his neck. Amazing, this guy who goes to Mass every Sunday — does he know he’s supportin’, to use his terminology, a group that is probably more opposed to gay marriage than Dan Cathy?

And if Boston College gets invited to the Chick-fil-A bowl, will you allow the Eagles’ plane to take off from Logan airport?

Usually, Mumbles takes his cues in PC idiocy from Mayor Bloomberg. This time, he was driving the lead clown car. And you know the old saying: Monkey see, monkey do.

• Like 1

saveliberty

Mary Katharine and Krauthammer on Romney’s Olympics comments: What was he thinking?

posted at 9:02 pm on July 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

Scissors-32x32.png

Via Mediaite. MK was planning to write about this but I got to the story first, so I want to make sure she has her say on the front page too. Here she is on “Special Report,” in sync with the other ‘Hammer in mystification at Mitt’s strategy. How did it come to pass that a candidate famous — infamous, even — for being cautious and scripted decided to venture a little candid criticism of his host country on a goodwill tour? So fixed is the narrative of a Romney foreign gaffe-o-rama now that the dumb lefty British press is straining to find screw-ups even where they don’t exist. Ah well. His trip to Israel will be even easier than this one. No one can mess that up. I think.

saveliberty

July 26. 2012 7:46PM

Hudson police investigating possible phone 'harassment' of high-profile Mitt Romney supporter

Scissors-32x32.png

By JOHN DiSTASO

Senior Political Reporter

MANCHESTER -- The New Hampshire businessman who appears in a Mitt Romney television ad accusing President Barack Obama of “demonizing” small business owners has gone to his local police after receiving two “harassing” telephone calls and, he says, hundreds of nasty emails.

“It's frightening to me,” said Jack Gilchrist of Gilchrist Metal Fabricating of Hudson, who also said Thursday he received hundreds of supportive emails as well.

H/T Instapundit