A Sad Day In Music

Valin

Jon Lord, R.I.P.

Keyboardist and organist Jon Lord, best known for being an original member of Deep Purple, passed away yesterday of a pulmonary embolism brought about by pancreatic cancer. He was 71

(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-N53CqNlE

Bob Babbitt, R.I.P.

Bass player Bob Babbitt, best known for his tenure with The Funk Brothers and later MFSB, died yesterday of brain cancer. He was 74.

(Snip)

Kitty Wells, R.I.P.

Country music legend Kitty Wells passed away yesterday of complications from a stroke. She was 92.

I'll never fit in my plaid purple or orange bell bottems.

This rings home, man.

April Wine

Mothe Hoople

Humble Pie

Led Zeppelin

The Rockets

Yes

Rush

Yesh, and what not, and who have I forgotten. Case in point: Rolling Stones...

Well, thing is until the 'turning point', all I knew was top 40, ELO, Beatles and the Moody Blues.; we threw all that top 40 & pop away for Cooper, AC/DC, Van Halen, et ali.

Then there's always the one-hit-wonders, e.g. Crawling From the Wreckage (pre-cursur to punk).

When I was 10 y/o I had a transistor 'Tomatoe' radio. I listened to such eclectic mix of music it makes my head spin. CKLW! I didn't know anything about FM radio for years. The last two years of high school radically changed my views on everything; I became exposed to FM radio and heavy metal.

I wonder if the current generation has had exposure to finer arts to the degree that of my generation. Before I discovered FM radio, all I knew was ELO, Beatles and other sort bands. I was content to play symphony and marching music on my cornet.

Then I grew up in the last two years of high school and became debauched. These days I rarely listen to music. Mostly I listen to talk radio. When I do listen to pure music its usually purely instrumental, i.e., classical or electric, e.g. Joe Satriani.

I quite frankly can NOT listen to any hard rock any more. Perhaps it has something to do with my being born again-again 2002.

I can't express how trivial the likes of Smoke on the Water, et ali, contrasted to Strauss and Mozart seem these days. Contrary to your most serious assertation: that happens incrementally and is only evident to a rational mind when they hit the 1/2 century mark.

There's a scripture that states somthing akin to that with respect to setting aside toys of childhood.

I can tolerate Carlos Santana - shut the F up about your politics and play your guiitar. I appreciate Ted Nuggents sentiments, but I frankly can't tolerate the music anymore.

But then, nobody asked for my opinion; or did they?