Is the US Episcopalian Church Still a Christian Church?

Valin

Ricochet

Paul A. Rahe

7/13/12

The American Episcopalian Church held its General Convention in Indianapolis this week, and it was apparently quite a show. Back in 1970, when the population of this country was considerably smaller, there were three million Episcopalians in our midst. Today, there are only one million. But one thousand of them gathered this year for the debates that took place in its House of Deputies and its House of Bishops.

In the evenings, Jay Akasie reports, they behaved in accord with the stereotype:

(Snip)

During the day, he adds, the legislators in the two chambers gathered to discuss

such weighty topics as whether to develop funeral rites for dogs and cats, and whether to ratify resolutions condemning genetically modified foods. Both were approved by a vote, along with a resolution to "dismantle the effects of the doctrine of discovery," in effect an apology to Native Americans for exposing them to Christianity.

I wish that I were making this up, but I am not doing so.....

(Snip)

wallbash.gif

I am afraid they are going to be....weighed on the scales and found wanting.

righteousmomma

Tragedy to the nth degree.

I was confirmed Episcopalian about 1958 and was married in my Episcopal church and had our daughter Christened there..

Over the last 40 years we have seen all the Mainline Denominations (with a few exceptions) become increasingly liberal

People have left the Episcopal church in droves. Many have started Anglican Churches or fled to other more evangelical Denominations.