Ten Years: Ten Thoughts (plus John’s)

Valin

Power Line

Scott Johnson

5/27/12

It was ten years ago this weekend — ten years ago today, I think, but maybe tomorrow — that John Hinderaker went to Blogger and set up Power Line. On Memorial Day that weekend he gave me a call and invited me to contribute. Once one of my kids helped me get into the publishing platform, we were off and running. Looking back, I thought I might take the occasion to offer a few random thoughts that I hope might be of interest to readers.

(Snip)

I am most grateful to our readers — literate, knowledgeable, encouraging, large-hearted, responsive to every good cause we have supported. You have kept me going for the past 10 years.

JOHN adds: Scott wrote about the origins of our writing partnership here. I wrote about how Power Line got its start here, and Paul supplemented my recollections. Along with those Scott mentioned, we are grateful to Mitch Pearlstein, founder and President of the Center of the American Experiment, who gave us some of our early writing opportunities and sponsored a memorable debate between Congressman Martin Sabo and me which you can still see on CSpan. Also Liz Steffes, a friend of my daughter Laura, who is grown now but was a 13-year-old girl when, passing through our kitchen ten years ago, she suggested, after a moment’s thought, the name for this site. But for Liz, I might have stalled out on Blogger, unable to come up with a name, and abandoned the project. And we can’t thank Hugh Hewitt, one of the nicest men in the world, enough. He promoted our site relentlessly in the early days and continues to be a good friend. Without his early support we might have sunk without leaving a trace

(Snip)