How Significant Is The Gospel of Mark Discovery? "I would grade it at least an A, maybe an A-plus"

Valin

Hugh Hewitt Blog

Hugh Hewitt

2/24/12

That is what Dr. Daniel Wallace, professor of New Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary told me on yesterday's program when I asked him to assess the significance of the finds he and some colleagues have made but haven't disclosed in much detail.

I have also talked with Dr. Mark D. Roberts and Phoenix Seminary's Dr. Wayne Grudem about this story, but the MSM seems oblivious to what will be of great interest to Christians around the globe if Dr. Wallace's assessment holds up, and to non-believing students of the ancient world as well.

In my interview --the full transcript of which is here-- Dr. Wallace reveals that the team of which he is a member are working on seven different documents, which were found in Egypt, and which include in addition to "verses" from Mark, an excerpt from Luke, four portions of Pauline letters and a homily on Hebrews Chapter 11. All four of the Pauline excerpts predate the oldest known manuscript of Paul's letters, from about 200AD.

(Snip)