Primary 2012

Rheo

I learn so much from you all. Thanks.

Don't trust us! We have no idea what we are talking about.

Well, at least I don't. laugh.png

Ha. At least if you don't know what you are talking about, you make it sound good.

Just got home from the Rick Santorum rally. I came to the conclusion as I drove home that I could accept him as my pastor in a hearbeat, but as my president he is not my first choice. The venue was first scheduled in a church hall -- don't know the size of the hall, but just as I was walking out the door Rokke called to tell me it had been changed to Mr. Biggs! (Rokke couldn't go because he had to attend his son's lacrosse meeting, and Mr.n. had just returned from a trip so I was on my own.) So off I went to Mr. Biggs and although I was an hour early people were already starting to arrive by the carload. They had a huge room and it was packed with standing room only by the time Santorum was introduced. He gave a good stump speech and then lo and behold Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family, whose headquarters is located in Colo. Springs, came onstage and the two of them sat on high stools and Dobson essentially interviewed Santorum. The most touching part was when he talked about Bella. He also said God didn't tell him he wanted him to be president, He just told him He wants him to walk this path of running for the nomination. Sometimes I felt like I was attending a church rally rather than a political rally and I had the feeling that it wasn't quite what a political rally ought to be. There is no doubt in my mind that Rick Santorum is a good man, probably the best man of them all, and I would gladly vote for him if he ended up with the nomination, but he's not my first choice.

Good report. Interesting analysis. I agree that I look for different leadership traites in my President and Pastor. I also kind of wish you'd come back and said you were now a broken glass Santorum supporter. I wonder if Ron Paul is really as nuts as he comes across....

We could very well get a chance to see Ron Paul, too, if we wanted to -- Colorado being a swing state and all.

I heard a Romney ad on the way home. The announcer said "Mitt Romney has been endorsed by some of America's greatest conservative leaders. Here's what Charlie Crist says....."

The same Charlie Crist who says he may become a democrat and vote for Obama.

Don't Republicans have some really weird, obscure candidate we can support just for the fun of it. Is Lyndon Larouche still alive?

• Like 1

We could very well get a chance to see Ron Paul, too, if we wanted to -- Colorado being a swing state and all.

Whoa. You should attend that as well. (bring superglue, in case they slip). :-)

I learn so much from you all. Thanks.

Don't trust us! We have no idea what we are talking about.

Well, at least I don't. laugh.png

Ha. At least if you don't know what you are talking about, you make it sound good.

Well, that is because by beholding we become changed. Which reminds me, I've gotta stop listening to politicians.

Oh, yeah! Can't you see me running up the center aisle and leaping onto the stage, super glue in hand, saying "Wait, wait!" and then fixing his crooked eyebrows?LMFAO.gif

I think that would be a kick. If he is nearby, you should go!

Thanks also for the report on Santorum. I'm beginning to wonder if that guy who recently wrote the book saying that most great leaders are very deeply flawed are correct. Maybe character doesn't matter after all...but it still really matters to me.

Oh, yeah! Can't you see me running up the center aisle and leaping onto the stage, super glue in hand, saying "Wait, wait!" and then fixing his crooked eyebrows?LMFAO.gif

Yes, I can!

righteousmomma
So it comes down to the only thing I actually know at this point: I am voting against Obama. Period.

That is my mantra too.

Personal opinion to myself:

STOP reading other people's personal opinions of the candidates on blogs out there in cyber space.

STOP being mind influenced by people in your daily life who listen to sound bites, watch tv news alone and read only excerpts on iphones from the usual biased newspapers.

Research for yourself and read their bios.

Remember why you preferred Mitt over the others in 08.

He has not changed but the Country has:

Put Newt in context. Personally he ripped it with me on his negative attack on Mitt in Florida. Mitt and Newt should have put the negative heat solely on Obama and the Democrats - in particular a couple right there in Florida. Golden opportunities lost. Instead focus was on them and Newt's focus seem to be on what was best for himself to dig out a win - NOT the best interests of the Country.

Soaring rhetoric and an ability to articulate facts and history do not mean the person is anything but an articulate politician.

Put Mitt in context. No matter what we read or hear remember he is a devoted Christian Mormon (yes, one can be both. Just have some - what the Bible calls -"perverted" beliefs/"false doctrine" mixed in.) The Mormon church is very conservative on social issues such as abortion, alcohol and family importance. Mitt has been a "pastor".

He taught the Bible and the Book of Mormon as a 5th generation Mormon and has said that his love for Jesus Christ influences everything he does. So he is obviously not a liberal in those areas

YET he won the governorship in very liberal Massachusetts.

He was not king nor dictator of MASS. and worked with a very liberal State House.

He has grown and changed his opinion on certain things like all of us. Just like me.

A highly successful business man has to have a streak of dedicated ambition and conviction or he wouldn't be a highly successful businessman.

He is most likely going to be our nominee. I just pray that he will ask someone like Rubio (or Ryan) to be VP and that Rubio will accept.

I also pray that his image handlers will make him more personable as he apparently is with family, friends and those who know him.

He is not John McCain in most ways that count.

Florida is a good microcosm of the Country. He won handily there.

So - my personal opinion -but, after reading and reminding myself, I feel better than I have felt in months.

Again though

So it comes down to the only thing I actually know at this point: I am voting against Obama. Period.

WSJ: Romney: Adjust Minimum Wage for Inflation

Danny Yadron

2/1/12

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday reiterated his position that the minimum wage should rise automatically with inflation. His top rival, Newt Gingrich, later criticized the idea.

Mr. Romney has said in past appearances that, dating to his time as Massachusetts governor, he believed in indexing the minimum wage to inflation, though his stance hasn’t drawn much attention. “I haven’t changed my thoughts on that,’’ he said Wednesday when asked by reporters aboard his chartered campaign plane, according to the Associated Press. He did not say whether, as president, he would urge Congress to make such a change, the news service noted.

(Snip)

“Figure out what the Romney plan would have cost and how radically it would have raised the minimum wage in the late 1970s,” Mr. Gingrich said during an appearance in Reno, Nev. “Historically, that would be a dangerous idea.”

(Snip)

Put Newt in context. Personally he ripped it with me on his negative attack on Mitt in Florida.

Romney's negative ads on Gingrich in Iowa really put me off on Romney. As time has gone on his negative ad campaign have only reinforced my opposition to his candidacy, and the likes of Ann Coulter/Jennifer Rubin have not helped a bit. I am starting to take a very personal visceral dislike of Ann Coulter.

Here's something I've noticed, we see a lot of words being spoken about Gingrich's negative attacks on Romney and how bad and destructive to party unity...yet do we see the same about the Romney ads? I recall reading/hearing(?) that in Fla. 5 of 6 Romney ads were negative attacks on Gingrich. It just seems to me that what good for the goose.....ya know.

righteousmomma

No, we don't hear as much about Mitt's negative ads and I do not blame Newt for bring upset . Just think they both should cut it out and focus on Obama.

No, we don't hear as much about Mitt's negative ads and I do not blame Newt for bring upset . Just think they both should cut it out and focus on Obama.

Absolutely! Ideas, That is Newts strong point. I mean can you remember another Republican candidate that quotes Camus? Point being he has the ability to A. Raise the level of the debate, B. Teach people about our history. To often in politics it is small ball, the petty stuff.

I'd like to see more of the kind of Debate Frank Luntz did back in Iowa. The four of them sitting at a table talking to & with each other, not at each other.

Mitt handled this correctly

One of these times these clowns are going to glitter bomb/mic check a candidate at the wrong time and place, and there will be...consequences.

Another endorsement that means nothing. ha.

Sharron Angle endorses Santorum as Nevada caucuses near

Sharron Angle, the Tea Party backed Nevada Republican who challenged Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in 2010, endorsed Rick Santorum's presidential bid Wednesday.

"Rick Santorum and I have known each other for years. He is a strong fiscal and social conservative who stands on principles above politics. He has never wavered in his support for family values understanding the impact that strong families have on a prosperous economy. His continuous opposition to Amnesty, Obamacare, the bail-outs, and cap and trade are a perfect fit with our main street Tea Party movement," Angle said in a statement to National Review.

Scissors-32x32.png

Any idea why President Bush, Sr, is in a wheelchair 1/27/12?

The former president, now 87, is seen sitting in a collapsible wheel chair, but according to spokesman Jim McGrath is "in fine health and he's not in any pain," the AP reports. He has just been relying more and more on the help of wheelchairs and a scooter lately. "His legs don't work the way he wants them to," McGrath said.

Beautifully stated RM and my sentiments exactly.

That is my mantra too.

Personal opinion to myself:

STOP reading other people's personal opinions of the candidates on blogs out there in cyber space.

STOP being mind influenced by people in your daily life who listen to sound bites, watch tv news alone and read only excerpts on iphones from the usual biased newspapers.

Research for yourself and read their bios.

Remember why you preferred Mitt over the others in 08.

He has not changed but the Country has:

Put Newt in context. Personally he ripped it with me on his negative attack on Mitt in Florida. Mitt and Newt should have put the negative heat solely on Obama and the Democrats - in particular a couple right there in Florida. Golden opportunities lost. Instead focus was on them and Newt's focus seem to be on what was best for himself to dig out a win - NOT the best interests of the Country.

Soaring rhetoric and an ability to articulate facts and history do not mean the person is anything but an articulate politician.

Put Mitt in context. No matter what we read or hear remember he is a devoted Christian Mormon (yes, one can be both. Just have some - what the Bible calls -"perverted" beliefs/"false doctrine" mixed in.) The Mormon church is very conservative on social issues such as abortion, alcohol and family importance. Mitt has been a "pastor".

He taught the Bible and the Book of Mormon as a 5th generation Mormon and has said that his love for Jesus Christ influences everything he does. So he is obviously not a liberal in those areas

YET he won the governorship in very liberal Massachusetts.

He was not king nor dictator of MASS. and worked with a very liberal State House.

He has grown and changed his opinion on certain things like all of us. Just like me.

A highly successful business man has to have a streak of dedicated ambition and conviction or he wouldn't be a highly successful businessman.

He is most likely going to be our nominee. I just pray that he will ask someone like Rubio (or Ryan) to be VP and that Rubio will accept.

I also pray that his image handlers will make him more personable as he apparently is with family, friends and those who know him.

He is not John McCain in most ways that count.

Florida is a good microcosm of the Country. He won handily there.

So - my personal opinion -but, after reading and reminding myself, I feel better than I have felt in months.

Again though

As someone who has always had a visceral dislike of Ann Coulter, I hear you. Havimg said that, I have exactly the same reaction to Newt even though I like everything that he says on principle. I take brutal negative advertising as part and parcel of politics. Even the political stuff. It only works on me if it already ties into a perception I have of a candidate. That said, what bothers me the most is when candidatesryane it so personally that they can not rise above it. That is my perception of Newt. He went off after promising to stay positive once he got wounded personally. McCain was like that with GWBs negative campaign ads and that thin skinness is very much like Obama.

Also, one of the criticisms Ive heard of Mitt is that he isn't feisty enough to take on Obama. So he shows some feistiness and some fight and some pushback in the campaign he has to win first...and he gets blowback. I remember GWB being in the same position. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Put Newt in context. Personally he ripped it with me on his negative attack on Mitt in Florida.

Romney's negative ads on Gingrich in Iowa really put me off on Romney. As time has gone on his negative ad campaign have only reinforced my opposition to his candidacy, and the likes of Ann Coulter/Jennifer Rubin have not helped a bit. I am starting to take a very personal visceral dislike of Ann Coulter.

Here's something I've noticed, we see a lot of words being spoken about Gingrich's negative attacks on Romney and how bad and destructive to party unity...yet do we see the same about the Romney ads? I recall reading/hearing(?) that in Fla. 5 of 6 Romney ads were negative attacks on Gingrich. It just seems to me that what good for the goose.....ya know.

Three assumptions and a simple question (pat. pend.)

Assume Washington DC is as screwed up as we think it is. Assume either Santorum Romney, Gingrich is the GOP candidate. Assume They win the election.

Question: Which of these three would be best equipped to begin the change, that we all know has to come?

As someone who has always had a visceral dislike of Ann Coulter, I hear you. Havimg said that, I have exactly the same reaction to Newt even though I like everything that he says on principle. I take brutal negative advertising as part and parcel of politics. Even the political stuff. It only works on me if it already ties into a perception I have of a candidate. That said, what bothers me the most is when candidatesryane it so personally that they can not rise above it. That is my perception of Newt. He went off after promising to stay positive once he got wounded personally. McCain was like that with GWBs negative campaign ads and that thin skinness is very much like Obama.

Also, one of the criticisms Ive heard of Mitt is that he isn't feisty enough to take on Obama. So he shows some feistiness and some fight and some pushback in the campaign he has to win first...and he gets blowback. I remember GWB being in the same position. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thanks for the reply.

I've not really disliked her, until this primary race. I found her act...well boring, after the 1st couple of years, and thought she is smart enough to do better than to always take the low road, the cheap shot. She has never lived up to her potential. Now....I really don't like her. And I hope what she has done/said this season is the end of her career. It would make my day if she gets booed off the stage at CPAC this year.

Romney here is what I've got from his ads, "I love America" & Newt Gingrich is the love child of Heinrich Himmler and Nancy Pelosi. I look at Santorum & Gingrich I know who they are, what they stand for, what they want to do, why I should support them...when I look at Romney, I think another white guy with good hair, who hasn't thought things out beyond I want to be President. In 08 I thought he was the best of a bad lot (talk about faint praise), this time, he's not even that, he's just another generic GOP candidate.