'Iraq Day' marks deadline for U.S. withdrawal

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
index.html?eref=edition
CNN:

Baghdad (CNN) -- Television stations in Baghdad are calling it "Iraq Day," the Saturday deadline for American troops to completely withdraw from the country under a U.S.-Iraqi security pact.

Stations aligned with Sunni and Shiite extremist groups, many of whom attacked U.S. troops, have dubbed it the "Day of Defeating the Occupier" -- others have called it the "Day of Fullfillment" or "Day of Evacuation."

It's a day many Iraqis say they have waited for since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein, even as they admit their country is mired in a political crisis that has raised fears of a return of sectarian violence that nearly tore the country apart at the height of the war.

"Iraq Day, we are all for Iraq," Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said in a mass text message sent Saturday morning.

"I congratulate you and our Iraqi nation on this great historic day, my love and respect to you and your families, your brother Nuri al-Maliki."

The celebrations in Iraq come nearly two weeks after the last convoy of U.S. troops crossed into Kuwait, ending an almost nine year war that saw more than 4,400 American military personnel and an estimated 115,000 Iraqis killed.
________

They've got the keys now...

One More legacy for Barack "Jimmy CarterII" Obama.

I am amazed (although I know I shouldn't be) at the lack of understanding of this.

War weariness + hatred of George Bush + the new isolationism = a major defeat for the forces of civilization.

WestVirginiaRebel, as you said They've got the keys now. So we'll see if the forces of freedom can over come the forces of tyranny.