Coffee Shop- Debate thread tonight! - Open 24/7

Rheo

I'm really surprised about this in state tuition thing for illegals. Lived 40 years and only since Perry got in the race have I heard it discussed. I don't pay detail attention to everything politics in Texas, but sort of surprised I've not heard it brought up more.

I'm really surprised about this in state tuition thing for illegals. Lived 40 years and only since Perry got in the race have I heard it discussed. I don't pay detail attention to everything politics in Texas, but sort of surprised I've not heard it brought up more.

Wonder if this was so when Bush was Governor?

I knew we would have a blame Bush statement. :lol:

I knew we would have a blame Bush statement. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Hmmm... on the in state tuition thing...

Illegal immigrants entering Texas' higher education system are direct beneficiaries of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler vs. Doe. Parents in Tyler sued after the state began charging tuition for illegal immigrant children. The court ruled that Texas and the rest of the country must educate illegal immigrant children free of charge in public schools.

Edited to add:

A challenge to a similar law in Kansas failed in 2005 after a federal judge found that out-of-state college students had no standing to challenge the law there, since they had not been harmed by it.

Illegal immigrants entering Texas' higher education system are direct beneficiaries of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler vs. Doe. Parents in Tyler sued after the state began charging tuition for illegal immigrant children. The court ruled that Texas and the rest of the country must educate illegal immigrant children free of charge in public schools.

My understanding with the Texas college situation is not that they are getting free tuition, but getting a huge in-state discount. Did I misunderstand?

Edited to add:

A challenge to a similar law in Kansas failed in 2005 after a federal judge found that out-of-state college students had no standing to challenge the law there, since they had not been harmed by it.

Public Schools and College are two different things.

My understanding with the Texas college situation is not that they are getting free tuition, but getting a huge in-state discount. Did I misunderstand?

Nope, you have it right.

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney: Support our allies (Israel).

Cain: If you mess with Israel, you mess with the United States of America.

Perry: Have a relationship with India (in response to Pakistan).

Santorum: We need to continue to stabilize Iraq. Need to establish relationships with allies in Pakistan.

Edited to add:

Public Schools and College are two different things.

Sounds like that is the debate. They are state public colleges, hence someone has interpreted it that illegals have same access (in state rates).

Romney: Support our allies (Israel).

Cain: If you mess with Israel, you mess with the United States of America.

Perry: Have a relationship with India (in response to Pakistan).

Santorum: We need to continue to stabilize Iraq. Need to establish relationships with allies in Pakistan.

The thing is Pakistan is not a real country. It's a collection of tribes that don't like each other, but really don't like India...well except the Sind.

WestVirginiaRebel

Huntsman: The biggest threat to our national security is that we're bankrupt...trade promotes friendship (on Cuba).

Bachmann: Cuba is a state sponsor of terrorism.

Huntsman: After ten years it's time to leave Afghanistan.

Santorum: We need to fight wars to succeed. Huntsman: In the end, only Afghanistan can save Afghanistan. I have to say, I'm more with Huntsman than Santorum, who seems to be acting like it is still ten years ago.