Can Islam Be Reformed?

Valin

full
Towmhall:

Dennis Prager
8/2/11

The question is in no way meant to be provocative, let alone insulting. But the world, including vast numbers of Muslims, needs this question answered.

After having studied Arabic at college and lectured on comparative religion for decades, and having devoted years to writing my upcoming book comparing American values with leftist and Islamist values, I have become convinced of two things regarding Islam: It must be reformed, and it can be reformed.

Both suppositions are highly controversial. Few believing Muslims think that Islam needs to be reformed; the suggestion would strike most religious Muslims as absurd, if not insulting and ultimately blasphemous. And it would strike many non-Muslim critics of Islam as naive. As Lord Cromer, British consul-general in Egypt from 1883 to 1907, put it in a quote known to all Western students of Islam, "Islam reformed is Islam no longer."

(Snip)

I would add it is being reformed.

I would add a sixth provision for reformation:

Stop using the Crusades as an excuse for your actions. No only is it ancient history, the main reason that the Europeans were not welcome is that they interfered with Muslim wars of conquest.

I have spent the last year re-reading the Q'uran, it had been over 20 years since I last did it. I have come to the conclusion that what we have been hearing is wrong. The fundamentalists (re:extremists) have not perverted the word of Islam at all. They are performing exactly as their holy word directs. It is actually the moderate Muslims who have strayed. Were Mohammad to return today, it would be Al Quieda that he would gravitate toward.

SrWoodchuck

Better an invincible pragmatist, than an incurable optimist.....when it comes to Islam.

The Islami-jihadi are the Klingon's of our time, except with inbreeding, no sense of humor......and soon, nuke-u-lee-ar weapons. They understand only strength & ruthlessness.....and I'm not talking about the Fouad Ajami's.....but I am talking about the Iranian Islamists & the Islamists that are "infecting" [a damn good word] the UK & Europe, as well as the Hamas-Hezbollah-Al Shababbers!

Stalin & Mao would have been a match for them & if we keep fiddley-farting with PC dialogue & appeasement.....we will pay in our blood, or the blood of our children & grandchildren. I'm willing to co-exist with anyone whose religion or politics does not insist that I be killed. That is a question, is it not? Is Islam a religion or a political belief system?

Just my opinion, & worth 2 cents.....anytime.

I would add a sixth provision for reformation:

Stop using the Crusades as an excuse for your actions. No only is it ancient history, the main reason that the Europeans were not welcome is that they interfered with Muslim wars of conquest.

I have spent the last year re-reading the Q'uran, it had been over 20 years since I last did it. I have come to the conclusion that what we have been hearing is wrong. The fundamentalists (re:extremists) have not perverted the word of Islam at all. They are performing exactly as their holy word directs. It is actually the moderate Muslims who have strayed. Were Mohammad to return today, it would be Al Quieda that he would gravitate toward.

If what you say is true, why don't we see more acts of terrorism by Muslims? In addition why are Muslims the victims in the vast majority of attacks my Islamic terrorists? I see this a what happens when people pay attention to the theoretical and the real world. IMO Way to much Robert Spencer "thinking" going around.

The Next Founders: Voices of Democracy in the Middle East

Google Video: "ocean of revelations"

What I find very interesting is on the left any criticism of Islam is said to show Islamiphobia, while on the right print/post any articles/statements saying anything favorable toward Islam/Muslims and you will find yourself subject to accusations of dhimmitude. Needless to say I reject both.

Stalin & Mao would have been a match for them & if we keep fiddley-farting with PC dialogue & appeasement

What you are suggesting was tried in the Soviet/Afghan war...with a notable lack of success....I might add.

LTG William B. Caldwell, IV: International Partnership and Transition in AFG

August 4, 2011

by Lieutenant General William B. Caldwell, IV.

Last week, Afghan security forces assumed lead security responsibility in areas across Afghanistan. This historic milestone is a testament to the sacrifice, hard work, and vision of the international community and the government of Afghanistan. Since the first tranche of transition areas was announced earlier this year, NATO and Afghan leadership have been working shoulder-to-shoulder to provide the necessary training, equipment, and partnering to fully realize the goal of Afghans providing security for Afghanistan. Dr. Ashraf Ghani, who oversees the transition process for the President of Afghanistan, told Reuters, “The Afghan national army has had an enormous change both in quality and in numbers…we are completely confident that the Afghan army will have the capability.” These gains are positive, but challenges remain

Although we have come a long way, we recognize that transition is only the first of many difficult steps in the future. Days and months that will be challenged by difficulties, marred by setbacks, and faced with dangers. However, reinforced by the bonds of partnership, professionalism, and pride, I am convinced that the path we are on together developing the Afghan Army, Air Force, and Police will provide the Afghan people with the security they deserve, the prosperity they desire and a future they determine for themselves.

To be sure, partnership is essential and underlies progress today and in the future. We are driven by a common goal as laid out at last fall’s NATO Summit in Lisbon: sustain and improve Afghan capacity and capability to counter threats to the security, stability and integrity of Afghanistan. At Lisbon, NATO committed to an enduring role beyond 2014. This goal is important first and foremost for the Afghan people who have suffered through decades of war, but also this is important for regional stability.

(Snip)

SrWoodchuck

I appreciate & respect your point of view, Valin, as I believe it was arrived at, with much study and your logic is impeccable. You are right that Islamaphobia is brandished with the least criticism of Islam, and that the jihadists are reported more often, because death & mayhem sells newspapers & fills infotainment channels; but how is that death & mayhem treated in Muslim countries & in Islamified Europe? It is celebrated & deified. It does more than sell newspapers, it creates a theocratic political validity for more of the same. Even Muslim scholars acknowlege centuries of inbreeding.....creating a shallow minded class of individuals that are easliy placated with harsh laws & violence. I'm not saying this is an absolute. There are many fine Muslims that have intellectual integrity & love of our country.....Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, Brigitte Gabriel and Fouad Ajami, to name but a few; but are they recognized by the US muslim population? Or are far more muslims, living in enclaves, and adhering to the Islamic line? Some out of fear, others out of necessity. I think it will take a massive loss of life again [due to a jihadist strike] to push the muslims that love being American, to stand and voice their unity with non-muslim Americans. This as we get closer to the 10 year anniversary of 9/11, and the real possibility of another attack.