Candidate News Thread - Newt Gingrich

Geee

The Right Scoop: Newt Gingrich scolds Piers Morgan for trying to teach him about politics

Nov 9, 2011

It’s hard not to love how Gingrich handles the leftist media. For the sake of the GOP field, Gingrich should hold, “How to Handle the Media: 101″ classes. Last night, Piers Morgan got the “don’t give me your gotcha questions” treatment. Take a look:

(Click On Link)

I love it!

Out of the current field of candidates I prefer Newt, but......I think he sometimes tries too hard to come up with a Reagan moment like "I paid for this microphone...".

He can knock 'em dead with just answering the question without the drama.

Out of the current field of candidates I prefer Newt, but......I think he sometimes tries too hard to come up with a Reagan moment like "I paid for this microphone...".

He can knock 'em dead with just answering the question without the drama.

Here we see a problem many on the right have with Newt. "I will say this. I’m not sure if I can trust Newt, but dang if he doesn’t sound exactly like what I want in the White House"

The Right Scoop It's what I call the Good Newt and the Bad Newt. The thing is many are concerned that Newts Evil Twin is just waiting to jump up and say/do something really stupid. I would hope he will at sometime address this, talk about how he has changed and what he has learned in his days in the wilderness.

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney Edges GOP Contenders…Gingrich and Cain Battle for Second

In this national McClatchy-Marist Poll, Newt Gingrich has joined the top tier of candidates vying for the 2012 Republican nomination for president.

Among Republican and Republican leaning independents, here is how the contest stands:

23% for Mitt Romney

19% for Newt Gingrich

17% for Herman Cain

10% for Ron Paul

8% for Rick Perry

5% for Michele Bachmann

1% for Jon Huntsman

1% for Rick Santorum

17% are undecided

The race for the GOP nomination has taken yet another dramatic turn, says Dr. Lee M. Miringoff, Director of The Marist College Institute for Public Opinion. Now, the top tier is crowded as Newt Gingrich has taken his place alongside Mitt Romney and Herman Cain. Could anyone imagine a more unsettled contest?

Via Hot Air:

That wont make people here at BlogCon 2011 very happy. Stephen Kruiser started off the conference here by warning that both Gingrich and Romney are Republican Party hacks. Gingrich has had a lot more involvement with conservative grassroots groups, but sitting on the sofa with Nancy Pelosi and his other heterodoxies from the movement have not been forgiven, to say the least.

However, the internals of the Marist poll indicate that this may be precisely where Gingrich is getting his second wind. Among Tea Party adherents, Gingrich has a significant lead over Herman Cain, 28% to 21%. Mitt Romney comes in third at 17%, leading Ron Paul and Rick Perry at 10% each. Surprisingly, Michele Bachmann has dropped to only 3% for Tea Party voters.

He and Romney lead among Republicans, 26/21 Romney with Herman Cain coming in at 15%. Cain leads among independents, 19%, with Gingrich second at 17% and Romney at 16%, essentially a three-way tie within the margin of error. Gingrich comes in third (14%) for shares your values behind Romney (22%) and Cain (21%), but hes second to Romney on closest to the issues (28/21, Cain at 18%), second to Romney on the ability to beat Obama (26/23, Cain fourth at 13% behind Michele Bachmann at 14%), and first for having the experience to govern (25/20 over Romney, more than doubling Cains 11%).

And heres a big indicator that Gingrichs moment has arrived his support is by far the strongest in the field at the moment. Forty-three percent of his followers strongly support Gingrich. That figure is only 31% for Cain and 30% for Romney. Only 22% of Gingrich supports say they may vote differently, as opposed to 25% for Romney and 28% for Cain.

Gingrich may not be leading this field, but his second wind looks legitimate and Gingrich is experienced enough to keep from stepping on his momentum.

Stephen Kruiser started off the conference here by warning that both Gingrich and Romney are “Republican Party hacks.”

Ok...if he says so, then it must be true.

Amazing campaign season, and we haven't had one primary yet.

The anyone-but-Romney vote, which is the large majority of the GOP primary electorate, has been oscillating wildly - Bachmann was destined to fade, but she was cute to look at for a few weeks - when Perry came in, many of us sang our Hosannas, only to see that he was actually being truthful when he said that the difference between him an Dubya was that Dubya went to Yale while he (Perry) went to Texas A & M. Yikes! What were we thinking?

Cain, so far, has had the longest run, but he is fading, partly unfairly due to the trumped up Axelrod-dirty-tricks-sex-(non)scandal, but also because as likeable he is - well, anyone else getting the notion that he and his team are a wee bit unprepared?

Which brings us to Newt, who would have been my own favorite a few months ago, except that a. he was only running to sell more books and b. everyone knew he could never win anyway.

Well .... I think all bets are off now. Newt's turn is coming up, and of ALL the candidates out there he is certainly the smartest with a resume of actually having done some good as Speaker and engineer of the 1994 earthquake. Lets just say that his "known good" on balance outweighs his "known bads" - if he could just discipline himself (and his loquacious mouth for 12 months - who knows?

If he can get the anyone-but-Mitt crowd to coalesce, he can win. Whether he can accomplish this with the "midget" candidates taking a point here and a point there, and without the machine and moulah Mitt has - well its an outside shot, but worth it. [As an aside, how much MORE EPIC would his campaign's insane press release of a few months back be if he ACTUALLY CAME BACK TO WIN? If you don't remember, just go to Youtube and search for actor John Lithgow's performance, word-for-word, of the actual press release on Steven Colbet's show.]

Turns out Newt was right about one thing - his unconventional campaign might actually catch fire - for its a nutty, nutty year. They best get their act together and go after BHO soon though. And the pipsqueak candidates ought to ponder that it might be in the nation's best interest to withdraw and "release" their voters to go after a nominee with a chance.

Now - it Newt fails, we'll be left with Mitt. No Reagan he, but given the Marxist-occupied White House, he would be a vast improvement. And we know that Axelrod will (knocks on wood) NOT be able to find anything on him. Plus he can out-debate Obambi and look at ease doing it. We haven't had a GOP candidate with THAT ability since ... ummm ... lessee .... 1984, I believe. I have been singularly impressed at the way he has been able to verbally deflect the criticisms of his past liberal excesses aka "Romneycare".

Wrap-up: Its Newt's turn, the hill is steep, but here it is, his chance for the brass ring at last.

And if he doesn't make it, we still have Mitt. Compared to McCain and Dole and Bush I, that's not a bad final option at all.

That's my take. I'm OUT!

Hot Air: Quote Of The Day

(Snip)

“Fundraising and Campaign Infrastructure. Mr. Gingrich’s fundraising has been simply abysmal — just $2.9 million brought in through Sept. 30. Not only that, but as of Sept. 30, Mr. Gingrich had only $353,000 in cash on hand but $1.2 million in debt. There’s some question about whether fundraising is more of a lagging or a leading indicator; the money sometimes follows the polls. But it is hard to see how numbers like these are anything other than a huge problem for Mr. Gingrich.

“What they may really point toward is his lack of a robust campaign infrastructure, caused in part by numerous staff defections early in this campaign. He may even be in something of a Catch-22: it’s hard to hire staff if you don’t have money, but it’s hard to raise money if you don’t have any staff. Whether Mr. Gingrich makes a credible effort to address these issues over the next several weeks will be a good sign of how seriously his surge should be taken.

“Ideological Positioning. Mr. Gingrich got himself into trouble early on with his apostasies over Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget plan. But most every Republican candidate has one or two positions that they now find inconvenient, and Mr. Gingrich’s overall ideological positioning isn’t bad given the mood of the Republican electorate. We did not include Mr. Gingrich in our recent magazine feature on Republican candidates that rated their ideology from center to right on a 100-point scale, but his score would be fairly close to that of Gov. Rick Perry, which in my view represents something of a sweet spot for the Republican primary electorate: solidly conservative but not in Michele Bachmann territory. Mr. Gingrich is also fairly well positioned on what I call the establishment-insurgent axis; he can claim to know how Washington works while also seeming like an outsider since he has been out of it for some time.

(Snip)

Update

Turning an elephant into a Newt?

(Snip)

Fundraising and Campaign Infrastructure. Silver notes that Newt’s fundraising has been abysmal, but notes “the money sometimes follows the polls.” Sure enough, the campaign says it has raised $1 million since Sunday, which will help the campaign erase its debt of nearly $1.2 million. Fundraising can be a virtuous circle or a vicious cycle, but it is some sort of comment that a man who was the first GOP Speaker in over 40 years, founder of a raft of groups to support him and his ideas, and the go-to policy man after the 20o8 blowout has fared so poorly on this front. Indeed, it’s notable that American Solutions folded after Newt threw his hat into the ring; it remains to be seen whether a new version can raise money as a Super-PAC.

(Snip)

MyFoxBoston.com

Newt Gingrich_20110302155629_JPG

Newt Gingrich.

Newt Gingrich's Speech Interrupted by His 'Dancing Queen' Ringtone

Updated: Friday, 20 May 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Published : Friday, 20 May 2011, 8:39 AM EDT

snip

(NewsCore) - For a man hoping to take office in the White House, at least it wasn't "S.O.S." Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich revealed his unusual ringtone Thursday when his cell phone began ringing during a speech in Ames, Iowa, the Des Moines Register reported

I learned this today while listening to the radio. :D

MyFoxBoston.com

Newt Gingrich_20110302155629_JPG

Newt Gingrich.

Newt Gingrich's Speech Interrupted by His 'Dancing Queen' Ringtone

Updated: Friday, 20 May 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Published : Friday, 20 May 2011, 8:39 AM EDT

snip

(NewsCore) - For a man hoping to take office in the White House, at least it wasn't "S.O.S." Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich revealed his unusual ringtone Thursday when his cell phone began ringing during a speech in Ames, Iowa, the Des Moines Register reported

I learned this today while listening to the radio. :D

He said his wife, Callista, had warned him the ringtone might embarrass him one day, but he laughed it off.

The lesson to be learned from this is when mama says that's a bad idea, you might want to listen.

The Mans Prayer

"I'm a man

but I can change

if I have to

I guess"

Red Green

righteousmomma

Who woulda thunk it!

For years we have all said that Newt is brilliant but comes with too much baggage.

Now the baggage (least some of the suitcases) seems to be "he left his wife on her cancer stricken death bed".

Well, his ex wife is very much alive and according to their daughter they (the children) were told about the pending divorce in the Spring. Her mom was then in the hospital in the Summer. Newt took the kids to see her. No spurning and divorcing of wife on her death bed.

Now there may be other suitcases as yet unclaimed but sitting on the couch with Pelosi and yukking it up about global warming is the only one I can think of.

righteousmomma

Ahhh, Newt is now on Hannity and says he has no excuse for sitting on the couch with Pelosi. He says he never did any lobbying for anyone (like Freddie Mac) while out of office.

Now that he is tying with Mitt --let the games of destruction begin.

Edited by righteousmomma
Forgot Cap and trade

WestVirginiaRebel

Gingrich takes the lead

Newt Gingrich has taken the lead in PPP's national polling. He's at 28% to 25% for Herman Cain and 18% for Mitt Romney. The rest of the Republican field is increasingly looking like a bunch of also rans: Rick Perry is at 6%, Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul at 5%, Jon Huntsman at 3%, and Gary Johnson and Rick Santorum each at 1%.

Compared to a month ago Gingrich is up 13 points, while Cain has dropped by 5 points and Romney has gone down by 4. Although a fair amount of skepticism remains about the recent allegations against Cain there is no doubt they are taking a toll on his image- his net favorability is down 25 points over the last month from +51 (66/15) to only +26 (57/31). What is perhaps a little more surprising is that Romney's favorability is at a 6 month low in our polling too with only 48% of voters seeing him favorably to 39% with a negative opinion.

Gingrich's lead caps an amazing comeback he's made over the last 5 months. In June his favorability nationally with Republican voters plummeted all the way to 36/49. Now he's at 68/23, representing a 58 point improvement in his spread since then. As recently as August Gingrich was mired in single digits at 7%, and even in September he was at just 10%. He's climbed 18 points in less than 2 months.

CNN poll here. Related: Iowa numbers: Cain, Gingrich, Romney on top

CBSNews

Newt can sure talk a lot but is he smart?

If Newt Gingrich's career in public service proves anything, it is that he will never be caught saying “Oops.”

Gingrich is currently rising to frontrunner status in the Republican presidential primary largely because he's willing to talk about any subject at any time, is ready to do so with some measure of linguistic facility, and has sufficient self-regard to exploit every opportunity to demonstrate his rhetorical command. He has managed to leverage the televised debates to his benefit by acting like a professor before an unprepared lecture hall of students, condescending to the moderators by treating every question as a logic exercise. And so, however improbably, his Ph.D in history has earned the status of an important credential to the Republican Party.

But if Gingrich has amply proven his academic talents, he has also demonstrated their limitations. The Republican Party should not mistake his communication skills with evidence of real knowledge, or even of good reasoning. Gingrich may be a master of academic exercises—his ability to make bookish references and formulate long sentences demonstrate as much—but that does not mean he knows what he is talking about.

Let me guess, we must have a new front runner.

I'm liking him more and more.

With one notable exception I like them all. I'm thinking (always a scary thing :D) it's going to come down to Mitt, Rick and Newt. What I like about Mitt and Newt is they have both been here before and have gotten the anal exam from the MSM, so there really are no big surprises waiting to jump out. Mitt the manager, good solid competent (and about as exciting as vanilla ice cream), Newt knows how Washington really works, IDEAS, Want to fundamentally change the way things are done, mature (this is not the Newt of the 90's, I believe his wife has had a lot to do with that...notice how he always mentions her).

Rick? I think he has recovered from the debate flubs, and he's got Texas in the bag, make no mistake the Republican need Texas like the Dems need Ca.

I've always liked Newt, he's a historian...and you know how I feel about history.

This takes about two hours, but if you have the time...WOW!