WSJ: Before She Reads C.S. Lewis, Joy Behar Has Some Growing Up to Do

Geee

wsj-before-she-reads-c-s-lewis-joy-behar-has-some-growing-up-to-do
Big Hollywood:

WSJ: Before She Reads C.S. Lewis, Joy Behar Has Some Growing Up to Do
by Hollywoodland

Some of you might remember the interview Walden Media president and co-founder Michael Flaherty did with us a couple weeks ago. Here’s are some clips from a piece he wrote for the WSJ. You’ll want to read the whole thing.

WSJ:

Since Katie Couric first asked the question a couple of years back, journalists continue to pepper Sarah Palin with that classic ice-breaker: “So, what are you reading?” The subject came up again in a recent profile in the New York Times Magazine, and last week Barbara Walters returned to the question in interviewing Mrs. Palin as one of her “10 most fascinating people of 2010.”

In both interviews Mrs. Palin cited C.S. Lewis as a favorite author she looks to for inspiration. This prompted talk-show host and comedienne Joy Behar of “The View” to deride Mrs. Palin and her choice of reading, asking: “Aren’t those children’s books?” …

Mrs. Palin is on the right track by giving C.S. Lewis a prominent place on her reading list. Yet Ms. Behar and other Palin critics have dismissed Lewis’s work, forgetting that Lewis was a medieval and renaissance scholar at Oxford and the author of several brilliant Christian apologetics. Ms. Behar’s dismissal of children’s books as less than important makes her a modern-day Eustace, the type of bully who mocks readers of fairy tales as simpletons.

Lewis thought quite the opposite. He thought that fairy tales were the best way to convey truth for children and adults alike. He wrote about this quite often in his letters, and took no shame in reading fairy tales out loud in British pubs with his friend J.R.R. Tolkien, author of the epic “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.snip

I am trying so hard not to snort with delight watching all these "smart" liberals totally flame out in the intellectual arena.

So if I am understanding this, ms behar believes C.S. Lewis is not intelligent because he just writes children's books (and therefore cannot be of any real inspiration), but she is most certainly intelligent, even when she writes a children's book, "Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog"? :blink:

What a shame Joy Behar has never read C.S. Lewis. Her life is much the poorer because of it.

Yes, but I don't think she would understand it. All that sneering would get in the way of comprehension.

What a shame Joy Behar has never read C.S. Lewis. Her life is much the poorer because of it.

Yes, but I don't think she would understand it. All that sneering would get in the way of comprehension.

Like the old saying goes...

pearls%20before%20swine%2015.12.11.jpg

Like the old saying goes...

pearls%20before%20swine%2015.12.11.jpg

Pearls for swine, how perfect for Behar...

Assuming Miz Behar is a secular Jew....

Of much the same ilk as the ACLU....

When uttering words like, "Sheetzacacapoopoo...."

Is it manners to say, "Well God bless you, too?"

She sits on a show, that some call, "The View...."

Where inanities swirl like a semantic stew.....

You can try to talk sense, 'til your face becomes blue....

But she's dense & enthralled with Progressive Voodoo!

Incessantly "dissing" all-things-Palin ain't new.....

And regarding Mr. Lewis, she just hasn't a clue.....

What can you expect...to herself she is true....

A Harpy & Nag is the best she can do!

Well said!!!

Sad to say there are a great number of people out there that live in a very small world.

We should always keep in touch with our inner 7 year old. You do this, the world becomes a magical place.

Assuming Miz Behar is a secular Jew....

Of much the same ilk as the ACLU....

When uttering words like, "Sheetzacacapoopoo...."

Is it manners to say, "Well God bless you, too?"

She sits on a show, that some call, "The View...."

Where inanities swirl like a semantic stew.....

You can try to talk sense, 'til your face becomes blue....

But she's dense & enthralled with Progressive Voodoo!

Not that I disagree with you, but I sometimes have to ask myself....why this is so. It really is like we live on two separate planets. I see this over at Common Ground Politics, two reasonably intelligent people can look at the same facts, and come too diametrically opposite conclusions. Just one of the many many things I don't understand.

Well said!!!

Sad to say there are a great number of people out there that live in a very small world.

We should always keep in touch with our inner 7 year old. You do this, the world becomes a magical place.

To say nothing of Mere Christianity, God in the Dock, A Grief Observed, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, Letters to Malcolm, and Surprised By Joy. And that's just for starters.......

Well said!!!

To say nothing of Mere Christianity, God in the Dock, A Grief Observed, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, Letters to Malcolm, and Surprised By Joy. And that's just for starters.......

Valin! Very much agree!

Jesus mentioned becoming "child-like" to reach heaven; in terms of our faith, forgiveness & world view.

Nickydog!

Was that, "Surprised by Joy....Behar?"

Ha! Good one, shoutSrWoodchuck. I doubt there is a single thing Joy Behar could say that would surprise C.S. Lewis. Probably he wouldn't even bother to respond to her if he was still here. It would have been fun to hear him and J.R.R. Tolkein debate and discuss things, though. Maybe some day.....