Miller seeks to stop election certification

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
miller-seeks-to-stop-election.html
Alaska Daily News:

The Republican candidate in the Alaska U.S. Senate race asked a federal judge Thursday for a preliminary injunction stopping officials from certifying the election.

An attorney for Joe Miller sought the injunction as part of a previous lawsuit challenging write-in ballots for Lisa Murkowski, the incumbent senator.

Murkowski on Wednesday declared victory in the race, the first Senate candidate in more than 50 years to win a write-in campaign.

Miller's lawsuit claims Alaska law requires voters to write in a candidate's name as it appears on a declaration of candidacy, or the last name of the candidate, to cast valid ballots.

Alaska Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell, who oversees the Division of Elections, has said voter intent would drive acceptance of ballots and that previous court cases had supported that policy. Elections officials have credited Murkowski with ballots that contain minor misspellings.

Murkowski has a lead of about 10,400 votes. Miller had challenged 8,153 of the ballots counted for Murkowski, but he would still be behind even if he won every challenge.

However, Miller, in an affidavit Thursday, said the Division of Elections began its hand count of write-in ballots a week earlier than scheduled.

"Consequently, my campaign team and I were forced to pull together volunteer observers at the last minute, and did not have time to adequately and fully recruit and train them before counting began," he said. "As a result, an indeterminate number of ballots with candidates' names misspelled were counted without being challenged during the first several days of counting."

Miller said he intends to request a recount.
snip

He is really starting to look like a SORE LOSER. If the people of Alaska don't care, it truly is time to move on

Gee, I don't think we should really comment on an election that isn't in our state, especially if 30%-40% of the electorate feels that the election has been stolen.

He is really starting to look like a SORE LOSER. If the people of Alaska don't care, it truly is time to move on

Gee, I don't think we should really comment on an election that isn't in our state, especially if 30%-40% of the electorate feels that the election has been stolen.

I don't see how Miller could look like a SORE LOSER next to Murkowski. Had she shown any grace as a candidate, there wouldn't be an issue here. And, since members of her own father's Gubernatorial staff are siding with Miller on the issues, I would say that he has more than enough reason to continue to pursue his legal options.

I don't see how Miller could look like a SORE LOSER next to Murkowski. Had she shown any grace as a candidate, there wouldn't be an issue here. And, since members of her own father's Gubernatorial staff are siding with Miller on the issues, I would say that he has more than enough reason to continue to pursue his legal options.

Not to mention that like Mr. Rossi of Washington, AlGore & Kerry.....he's already branded with an "L." I admire him for pushing to the end, to highlight a corrupt and egocentric Republican; and the way she finagled the election. She as much as anything, allowed Democrats to influence her state elections; in order to retain her little Alaskan fiefdom.

righteousmomma

WOOHOOO!!!Our Tea Party candidate Ellmers (the nurse) came out the winner in the recount here in NC over the "student assaulter" Dem Congressman Bob Eldridge.

WOOHOOO!!!Our Tea Party candidate Ellmers (the nurse) came out the winner in the recount here in NC over the "student assaulter" Dem Congressman Bob Eldridge.

That's really cool, RM, since I read a couple of days ago that Eldridge was way ahead.

Here's the CBS report on Ethridge conceding.... you need to go there and see the link to the video of him assaulting the student if you haven't seen it before.

CBS