Romney goes smaller in 2012

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
www.gop12.com
GOP12:

Politico's Kasie Hunt reports that Mitt Romney is adjusting his operation for '12, thanks to the fact he's already built the name ID and contacts he was missing at the beginning of the '08 cycle.

“People are exhausted from the 2010 election, and they’re not anxious to begin right away with the next campaign,” Romney told 245 of his top financial supporters on a conference call Thursday, a Romney aide told POLITICO.

His team organized the call to connect with top supporters following a busy 2010 season and discuss Romney’s political future.

.... This time, January and February will come and go without an announcement, he told his supporters—and he can plan a leaner staff because he’s now a leading national Republican figure and needs a team that can hang on through a prolonged primary campaign amid a crowded GOP field.

Of course, everything is relative, but it's probably not going to be a shoe-string, indie film kind of thing.

Already, he's the most organized of the group, we all know he has big money, and in the past, he's indicated a willingness to pitch in his own $ in a '12 election.

That being said, it does look like everyone is waiting longer to make their official declaration, which is a luxury Palin, Huckabee, Romney, and Gingrich can all afford thanks to their name recognition.

Has there ever been an open nomination with four candidates who have such high name ID so early?

Guest areafiftyone

I would guess Newt wouldn't pass the name recognition and I'm not sure if Huckabee would either.

Newt won't win - neither will Romney or Huckabee or Palin. It's going to be someone else. There are alot of potential candidates this time around.

I would guess Newt wouldn't pass the name recognition and I'm not sure if Huckabee would either.

Newt won't win - neither will Romney or Huckabee or Palin. It's going to be someone else. There are alot of potential candidates this time around.

Area51! & Stella!

No one has mentioned an effective collaboration between two of these principals. Properly done, it might make an even better ticket. It would require a sublimation of egos, which could make some pairings impossible.

Guest areafiftyone

Area51! & Stella!

No one has mentioned an effective collaboration between two of these principals. Properly done, it might make an even better ticket. It would require a sublimation of egos, which could make some pairings impossible.

That is true. How about Newt and Donald Trump! The Hair Pair! :lol:

:lmfao:

That's hilarious. I don't think you could even fit both of those egos under the capitol dome at the same time for the SOTU! They'd just have to send their hair...kind of the way Doonesbury used a feather for Dan Quayle.

That's hilarious. I don't think you could even fit both of those egos under the capitol dome at the same time for the SOTU! They'd just have to send their hair...kind of the way Doonesbury used a feather for Dan Quayle.

Shear follicle?

Guest areafiftyone

Can you imagine if by some very very weird stretch of the imagination they won as Pres & VP - the amount of money it would cost and the amount of work for the White House hair dressers? The furniture alone would require a lint/hair brush!

Area51! & Stella!

shoutSrWoodchuck

I've always felt that if McCain had chosen someone like Giuliani instead of Palin as a running mate, the 2008 race would have been much closer than it turned out. Rudy had the name recognition, the track record, and was about as un-Bush like as any Republican out there.

Having said all of that, I really don't have a good feeling about the chances of anyone who ran in the Republican primary in '08. I'm hoping to see some of the new guys get some airtime and press space. I think that name recognition in the 2012 race may actually be a hindrance to a GOP candidate. Anyone who is in any way associated with Bush or with the GOP establishment are going to have a hard time.

Area51! & Stella!

shoutSrWoodchuck

I've always felt that if McCain had chosen someone like Giuliani instead of Palin as a running mate, the 2008 race would have been much closer than it turned out. Rudy had the name recognition, the track record, and was about as un-Bush like as any Republican out there.

Having said all of that, I really don't have a good feeling about the chances of anyone who ran in the Republican primary in '08. I'm hoping to see some of the new guys get some airtime and press space. I think that name recognition in the 2012 race may actually be a hindrance to a GOP candidate. Anyone who is in any way associated with Bush or with the GOP establishment are going to have a hard time.

Argyle58!

I like Giuliani, but felt he was an urban/regional candidate that didn't fit in with most of "fly-over" country. He was a good, strong law & order conservative......but also a New Yorker, with little foreign policy experience. I don't think McCain would have had quite the showing that he did, without Palin. She energized his ticket, just as she did along with the Tea Parties, in the mid-terms.

All that being said, there was probably no way an urbane black man was not going to be elected, after he put Joe Biden as VP. This was an election that was as much about killing the Clintonistas, as winning over the Republicans.

Off topic: Notice how Hillary has fleshed out what many considered her weakness......foreign policy. No more can people claim, she's only been shot at on a runway in Serbia. She's faithlessly implemented Obama's failed policies. but she does have the experience.

Argyle58!

I like Giuliani, but felt he was an urban/regional candidate that didn't fit in with most of "fly-over" country. He was a good, strong law & order conservative......but also a New Yorker, with little foreign policy experience. I don't think McCain would have had quite the showing that he did, without Palin. She energized his ticket, just as she did along with the Tea Parties, in the mid-terms.

All that being said, there was probably no way an urbane black man was not going to be elected, after he put Joe Biden as VP. This was an election that was as much about killing the Clintonistas, as winning over the Republicans.

Off topic: Notice how Hillary has fleshed out what many considered her weakness......foreign policy. No more can people claim, she's only been shot at on a runway in Serbia. She's faithlessly implemented Obama's failed policies. but she does have the experience.

A Guiliani/Palin ticket would have had more "it" factor in it's little finger than Obam/Biden did.

From a pure popularity point of view, I think that GOP ticket could have won. Something for everyone.