Paladino Admits to Some Missteps

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
paladino-admits-to-some-missteps
NY TIMES:

Still beating back accusations that he was biased against gay people, Carl P. Paladino, the Republican nominee for governor, said on Tuesday that he had made some mistakes in communicating his ideas on the campaign trail.

In an interview with John Gambling on WOR-AM (710), Mr. Paladino said he had “definitely stepped on my message” in recent weeks, noting the uproar over his recent comments that children should not be exposed to homosexuality in schools and that gay pride parades were “disgusting.”

He also pointed to two other episodes that he said were distracting: his near-altercation with a New York Post reporter and comments he made suggesting that Sheldon Silver, a powerful Albany lawmaker, was a criminal.

But Mr. Paladino did not apologize for his words. He faulted the news media for turning his remarks into an overheated controversy and said he was seeking to turn the focus to policy.
snip

Sigh. I would like to make a recommendation to all of us conservatives:

When you have candidates running in blue states...PLEASE do not force them to run on social issues because it is going to cause all hell to break loose. And it will probably cause a candidate to lose the race. I believe that Mr. Paladino did this to himself, but I constantly hear "real" conservatives talking about principles. Fine. But you don't have to bring up every principle in every race. This is a PERFECT example of why.

If I had one wish for conservatives, it would be that we all study ourselves in tactics and strategy. All in all the time is a sure file way to lose.

Sigh. What a mess.

This is why I was so upset that Palin brought up the abortion issue. Economics and jobs are what people care about. The social issues are all gotcha questions that every single one of them should be prepared to answer.

Guest areafiftyone

Sigh. I would like to make a recommendation to all of us conservatives:

When you have candidates running in blue states...PLEASE do not force them to run on social issues because it is going to cause all hell to break loose. And it will probably cause a candidate to lose the race. I believe that Mr. Paladino did this to himself, but I constantly hear "real" conservatives talking about principles. Fine. But you don't have to bring up every principle in every race. This is a PERFECT example of why.

If I had one wish for conservatives, it would be that we all study ourselves in tactics and strategy. All in all the time is a sure file way to lose.

Sigh. What a mess.

I totally agree! I'm sooo disappointed I can't tell you. I was excited when he won the primary - I thought we could finally have a Republican Governor. Then Paladino seemed to disintegrate before my eyes. Social issues and nasty personal snipes came to the forefront and totally destroyed any chance Paladino had. Paladino just lost it. I've seen ads for Cuomo all over the TV and some with Registered Republicans saying they are voting for Cuomo. I hardly ever see any Paladino ads. I guess we can say hello to Governor Cuomo (UGH!)

Guest areafiftyone

This is why I was so upset that Palin brought up the abortion issue. Economics and jobs are what people care about. The social issues are all gotcha questions that every single one of them should be prepared to answer.

You don't know how disappointed I was this weekend. Paladino acting like a jerk! Even Giuliani and Lazio were disgusted by him and said he was an embarrassment and should apologize.

Guest areafiftyone

What a mess this guy is. :unsure:

That's an understatement.

I can only shake my head in disbelief when I hear him talk.