'Dr. Laura' to end radio show over racial controversy

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
AR2010081706418.html
Washington Post:

Laura Schlessinger, the blunt-spoken, sometimes controversial radio talk-show host whose racially charged comments drew widespread condemnation last week, said Tuesday that she will end her radio career at the end of the year.

The announcement by the host of the "Dr. Laura" program was a stunning denouement after a week in which Schlessinger was widely criticized for describing an African American caller to her program as "hypersensitive" for taking offense at a neighbor's racial taunting. To illustrate her claim of a racial double standard, she said that black comedians often use the N-word on TV without criticism, but the word is forbidden for white people. She used the racial epithet, unexpurgated, 11 times in five minutes, despite her caller's protests.

Schlessinger later apologized for the remarks, saying she said "the wrong thing" on the air. On Tuesday she went further: During an interview on "Larry King Live" on CNN, Schlessinger said, "My contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year, and I've made the decision not to do radio anymore."

She added: "The reason is, I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special-interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."
________

I'm confused. Who took away her right to speak? :huh:

I just don't know what to think of this. I used to listen to her show, and while I disagreed with her on occasion and found her sometimes rougher than I thought necessary, she is very good at getting callers to identify the real issue and focus on the problems within themselves, rather than blaming everything on their parents, spouses, children, society, etc.

And, I understand how rampant political correctness has harmed discourse and allowed for mistaken impressions to take hold, still, the N-word is, in my opinion, just flat off limits. Too much baggage, too ugly, etc. Just don't use it. Period.

found her sometimes rougher than I thought necessary, she is very good at getting callers to identify the real issue

But she does it in a self-righteousness and mean manner. I won't be upset to see her go.

found her sometimes rougher than I thought necessary, she is very good at getting callers to identify the real issue

But she does it in a self-righteousness and mean manner. I won't be upset to see her go.

She was the role model for 'Dr. Nora' on "Frasier", which was possibly the funniest episode I've ever seen on an American TV show. Christine Baransky was perfect in portraying her as the arrogant and self-righteous person she is.

My local talk radio dumped her show for Hannity about 10 years ago because she was losing ratings like RATS fleeing the ship coming on after Rush. I won't miss her.

pollyannaish

I just don't know what to think of this. I used to listen to her show, and while I disagreed with her on occasion and found her sometimes rougher than I thought necessary, she is very good at getting callers to identify the real issue and focus on the problems within themselves, rather than blaming everything on their parents, spouses, children, society, etc.

And, I understand how rampant political correctness has harmed discourse and allowed for mistaken impressions to take hold, still, the N-word is, in my opinion, just flat off limits. Too much baggage, too ugly, etc. Just don't use it. Period.

So often you post exactly what is in my head...and so articulately!

I was always uncomfortable listening to her until I started actually paying close attention.

I have heard her be genuinely gentle with people who were asking unbelievably difficult questions that had no easy answers. That made me believe that she has a special knack for sniffing out excuse-making and would push those involved by being tough. But in situations where there was honestly no obvious answer, and the person calling was genuinely looking for one, she was very kind.

When she gets particularly harsh, is when there is someone who is behaving badly and looking for affirmation for doing so. And if that involves children...the just give it up right now.

But the N word thing...well, she deserves to lose her career over that. There just is no reason that makes it ok...And that goes for blacks who call themselves and each other the word.