Kagan confirmed as Supreme Court justice

Rheo

MSNBC:

WASHINGTON — The Senate has confirmed Elena Kagan to be the fourth woman ever to serve as a Supreme Court justice.

The Senate approved President Barack Obama's nominee Thursday by a vote of 63-37. Kagan's addition to the court marks the first time three female justices have served concurrently.

Nearly all Democrats, the Senate's two independents, and a handful of Republicans backed her.

Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Richard Lugar of Indiana, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine supported her. Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska voted in opposition to Kagan's confirmation.

Republicans harshly criticized Kagan, 50, as a political activist who would be unable to put aside her liberal views and render impartial decisions. Democrats defended the former Harvard Law School dean as a highly qualified legal scholar who could help bring consensus to the polarized court.

Kagan is not expected to alter the ideological balance of the court as she succeeds retired Justice John Paul Stevens, who is formerly regarded as a leader of the court's liberal wing.

Kagan's nomination to a lifetime seat on the nation's highest court garnered relatively little notice this summer, with the public and elected officials preoccupied by bad economic news and the Gulf oil spill, and many lawmakers nervously eyeing the November midterm congressional elections.

Let's just hope none of the conservative judges feel the need to retire in the next six years.

Six years? Let's not project such a negative. :)

Urkel's negatives are sky high and nothing in sight to improve them. Two years sound so much better. Any R will be better than zero.

Let's just hope none of the conservative judges feel the need to retire in the next six years.

Urkel's negatives are sky high and nothing in sight to improve them. Two years sound so much better. Any R will be better than zero.

I'm taking nothing for granted. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.....you can never be disappointed.

I'm taking nothing for granted. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.....you can never be disappointed.

I know how you feel. But let's not let him get us down too much. Sounding like Beck, "We have to stand up and fight." If we get too discouraged, he wins. I think he will follow in Carter's footsteps and go back to community activism after one term.

P.S.

They are swearing in Kagan Saturday. What is coming down the pike that they want her in place so quickly? Couldn't they wait until Monday? And, I wonder if her swearing in will be public? He has such an aversion of the press.

P.S.

They are swearing in Kagan Saturday. What is coming down the pike that they want her in place so quickly? Couldn't they wait until Monday? And, I wonder if her swearing in will be public? He has such an aversion of the press.

Let's see......the 9th Circus will fast track the Prop.8 decision, behind that is the Arizona lawsuit, the Virginia lawsuit, the Florida lawsuit.......etc., etc., etc