Geee

john-mccain-leaving-jd-hayworth-in-the-dust-99396449.html
Washington Examiner:

John McCain leaving J.D. Hayworth in the dust
By: JOHN MCCORMACK
Weekly Standard
07/27/10 7:30 PM EDT

Rasmussen polls the Arizona GOP Senate primary:

Senator John McCain has opened a 20-point lead over former Congressman J.D. Hayworth in Arizona’s Republican Senate Primary race.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely GOP Primary Voters in the state shows McCain attracting 54% of the vote, while Hayworth earns 34%.

For Hayworth, this represents another decline in support. In April, he picked up 42% of the vote. That fell to 40% in May, 36% in June and 34% in July.

For McCain, the 54% level of support is his highest yet.

“Some other candidate” picks up seven percent (7%) support, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

Last month, McCain led 47% to 36%.

The primary is less than a month away, McCain and Hayworth have already debated twice, and McCain has spent $16 million. Hayworth probably needs McCain to make a huge gaffe for this race to get close before the August 24 primary.

Here is something I never thought I'd say: I'm so glad McCain is this far ahead.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Hayward is out there in right field somewhere, but one never knows who McCain is from day to day. He switches from the far Right to RINO without pause. It would be nice if you knew exactly which McCain was going to show up for work.

pollyannaish

Here is something I never thought I'd say: I'm so glad McCain is this far ahead.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Hayward is out there in right field somewhere, but one never knows who McCain is from day to day. He switches from the far Right to RINO without pause. It would be nice if you knew exactly which McCain was going to show up for work.

I personally think McCain has been much more consistent with a Democrat President than he was with a Republican one. I also believe that in the context of this administration, A guy like Hayworth is more likely to simply become a "symbolic lightening rod" rather than a steady source of work that will get the ship back on course. He's always sort of been a talker, rather than a doer.

If this was a GOP administration, I would feel very differently about this race. We might need a Hayworth to put a little rightward pressure on the group. BUT, if the GOP is to have any credibility after the 2010 elections (assuming of course we win big) we are going to have to follow through on a LOT of promises, and there are going to be some HUGE fights. With a GOP president, the agenda responsibility would fall on his shoulders. But in this case, it's going to be the legislature.

McCain, for all his warts, can get things done and can get things done especially well when he is part of the opposition. I imagine him working with guys like Paul Ryan in the house and I feel better about things. And to be honest with you Hayworth to me has this "1998" feel to him—at least to me. I think of him very much as part of the anti-Clinton forces.

I don't know. I'm just going on gut here, but just because I didn't really like McCain for president, doesn't mean that I don't like him at all. I've been frustrated with him, especially in relationship to President Bush...but I think in this exact case, within this particular context, he is the better man for the job.

I have not been a fan of the absurd right wing turn McCain has taken, and am probably the only one here who hopes he returns to his 2000 "RINO" roots :lol: , but I am glad he is beating Hayworth. Even if this "New McCain" is here to stay, it's a whole lot better than the alternative.

pollyannaish

I have not been a fan of the absurd right wing turn McCain has taken, and am probably the only one here who hopes he returns to his 2000 "RINO" roots :lol: , but I am glad he is beating Hayworth. Even if this "New McCain" is here to stay, it's a whole lot better than the alternative.

Haha! Does this mean I should start calling you RINOSpikey? :lol: I know we disagree at times, but I truly believe that is based primarily on seeing life through our own set of experiences. Different experiences beget different conclusions and since I'm here to learn, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm sort of Switzerland on McCain. I like him when I agree with him, and don't when I don't. Hey wait! That's how I feel about all politicians. :lol:

Good to see you by the way!

Haha! Does this mean I should start calling you RINOSpikey? :lol: I know we disagree at times, but I truly believe that is based primarily on seeing life through our own set of experiences. Different experiences beget different conclusions and since I'm here to learn, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm sort of Switzerland on McCain. I like him when I agree with him, and don't when I don't. Hey wait! That's how I feel about all politicians. :lol:

Good to see you by the way!

Well hey I have been feeling kind of Switzerland about him lately too! :lol:

Hey if we agreed on everything it would be quite boring. I may not agree with you guys on everything (probably 50/50 on most things) but I definitely respect your guys opinions. They are thought out and based on experience and principals and that is why I like and respect all of you so much. It's not blind ideology, and as a "radical centrist" ( What an absurd label but hey, I like it)I love that. That's what has made this place as great as it is. No one ever has to be afraid they will "walk the plank" if they don't toe the line.

And you are completely right in regards to experiences. We are all shaped by them and will of course come to different conclusions on a number of issues. Even when we agree odds are we would still be coming at it from different angles as we see everything through our own unique lens.

spikeytx86!shout I guess this means, to paraphrase the Mac, that we are all RINOs now? :lol:

Way to many people have over used the term RINO, so that it now means any one who has ever agreed with the Democrats about anything.

BTW I've just reported you to the Viking Kitties at TOS, and you are in sooooooo much trouble.

"I support the rightward most viable candidate."

WF Buckley

Keep on reminding us of that quote, shoutValin. We need to be practical and realistic most of all!

pollyannaish

spikeytx86!shout I guess this means, to paraphrase the Mac, that we are all RINOs now? :lol:

Way to many people have over used the term RINO, so that it now means any one who has ever agreed with the Democrats about anything.

BTW I've just reported you to the Viking Kitties at TOS, and you are in sooooooo much trouble.

Well, if that is the definition, then Ich bin ein RINO!

"I support the rightward most viable candidate."

WF Buckley

Keep on reminding us of that quote, shoutValin. We need to be practical and realistic most of all!

In my years at a certain Other Site, I have come to some conclusions. There are those on our side that when picking a candidate to support...

1 Review the voting record

2 Review the candidates statments

3 Look at the candidates fund raising efforts

4 Look at who is endorsing or not endorsing the candiate

5 Assess the political climate

6 pick the candidate who has absolutely no chance in hell of winning. Then scream and hollar that they are being "True to their Conservative values" and anyone who doesn't follow their lead are a bunch of commie RINOs.This allows them to sit on the sidelines and throw rocks at a candidate who is 60-70% conservative, but actually could win.

(in 2007-08 see Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani to name but two)

(in 2012 see Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, to name two likely candides for the RINO label at a certain Other Site)

I don't give a Rino's ass what McCain does in AZ, as long as he never shows his puss as a national candidate again.