'Do not vote for my dad!': Daughter of Okla. judicial candidate launches last-minute attack ad

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
99276594.html
StarTribune.com:

OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma judicial candidate is fending off a political attack from his daughter, who has taken out a local newspaper ad urging voters: "Do not vote for my dad!"

McClain County judicial hopeful John Mantooth's daughter and son-in-law paid for the quarter-page advertisement, which features a picture of the daughter's family, highlights cases in which Mantooth has been sued and lists a website the couple started, http://www.donotvoteformydad.com.

Mantooth said the bad blood stems from his 1981 divorce from his daughter's mother.

"This is a family issue which should have been kept private," he said Monday. "I'm very sad about this. I'm very disappointed. I'm hurt, but I love my daughter, and I want things to get better, and I hope they will."

Jan Schill, 31, said she never has had a good relationship with her father and doesn't think he'd make a good judge.

"We just felt like it would be bad if he were to become a judge," Schill said in a telephone interview from her home in Durango, Colo. "I assumed that he would not appreciate it, but he's made so many people mad, I'm just another mark on his board of people's he's had a beef with."

Keith Gaddie, a professor of political science at the University of Oklahoma, said such campaigning illustrates that "none of us wants our lives too closely examined."

"It's reality show politics," Gaddie said. "It's unsavory. It's undignified, and it's real."

But Mantooth also suspects political maneuvering. He said his son-in-law, Andrew Schill, was once law partners with one of his opponents in Tuesday's primary, Greg Dixon.

"That's a very strange set of circumstances," Mantooth said. "For a person to believe that Greg Dixon had nothing to do with this is like trying to believe that cows give chocolate milk."
________

Talk about a family with issues...:unsure:

The daughter sounds like a whiny, spoiled rotten child.

She doesn't even live there so it really is none of her business what the people in another state's county do with their vote.

What surprises me is that this is news in St. Paul, but not in Oklahoma City........hasn't made broadcast or print here.

ErnstBlofeld

My father had done a lot of things in his life with people who were not nice but I loved him and I still do even though he has passed on. I could always count on him to be my advocate and on my side.I would never publish a full page ad or in any way,shape or form discrediting him or his memory. Blood is thicker than water.