Former Administration Advisor Compares US to the Titanic

Geee

van-jones-stop-worrying-about-the-deficit-the-government-can-just-take-more-money-from-rich-companies
Daily Caller:

Van Jones: Stop worrying about the deficit. The government can just take more money from rich companies
By Chris Moody - The Daily Caller

LAS VEGAS, NV — While the federal government sinks deeper into debt than any time since World War II, former White House “green jobs” adviser Anthony Van Jones said it was time to stop worrying about budget deficits and pressure Washington to take more money from American businesses to fund larger social and infrastructure projects.

“This is a rich country. We have plenty of money, and if you don’t believe me, ask Haliburton,” Jones told a group of progressive bloggers and activists at the Netroots Nation convention Friday. “There’s plenty of money out there; don’t fall into the trap of this whole deficit argument.”

“The only question is how to spend it,” he added.

American corporations currently face the second-highest corporate tax rate in the world, according to the Tax Foundation.

Jones, who rejoined the Center for American Progress after resigning from his White House post amid criticism for signing a petition calling for an investigation of the Bush administration’s prior knowledge of the September 11 terrorist attacks, also urged progressives to ease up on the criticism of President Obama.

“This is harder than it looks,” he said. “Having spent six months in the White House, it’s a totally different experience when you’re sitting there and the missiles are coming over the horizon at you.”

Only hours before, Democrats in the U.S. Senate announced they would not pass energy reform legislation before the November midterm elections, a cause Jones has championed throughout his career.

While Congress has passed major overhauls of the nation’s health care and financial systems since Obama took office, they have not successfully addressed a number of progressive issues, including federal immigration policy, union membership, and the closing of the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.

Despite the setbacks, Jones urged progressives to get behind Obama and understand what he inherited when he took office.

“I can’t stand it,” Jones said of criticism of Obama from the Left. “President Obama volunteered to be the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.”

I used to think these guys were dastardly clever and deliberately out to destroy our economy and way of life, but in Van's case, I would have to say that profound stupidity and ignorance are behind his actions and beliefs.

Someone, somewhere, long ago told him that he was smart, and he has been operating under that delusion ever since. And, there are many like him occupying Washington right now. For whatever reason, they have risen far above their limited abilities and intellects. And once, they have the credentials, they're set for life, regardless of the garbage that they churn out regularly.

OK, rant over.

For now.

No, not over. I just read the post " Sen Kerry Predicts 'Ice-Free Arctic' in '5 or 10 Years'" Certainly reinforces my new theories.

Edited by Sanguine

Jones's argument ignores the fact that corporations don't really pay taxes. To them it is simply a cost of doing business that is passed on to the consumer. The result is higher cost of living for all Americans, rich and poor alike.

Raising corporate taxes has three major effects.....it adds to the trend of domestic corporations moving operations elsewhere, reduces incentive for foreign corporations to invest here, and lowers the standard of living for those of us who are stuck here.

shoutClearvision.

"This has got to be the biggest pile of crap I've seen from a dem in a week."

That's saying a lot-because they can put out a LOT of crap in a week :P