Jordan: Made in Israel

Valin

jordan-made-in-israel
Global Voices:

Amira Al Hussaini
7/1/10

Arab countries imposed a total ban on the import of Israel-made products after the Arab-Israeli war of 1948. Although the boycott is no longer strictly enforced (except in Syria and Lebanon), seeing the Made in Israel label on products in local markets continues to raise alarm and questions. Jordanian Osama Al Romoh (Ar) opens a can of worms when he learns that the Hashemite University is selling its students graduation robes packed in bags which have Made in Israel labels stamped all over them.

He writes about his feelings of shock:
(Snip)
There is no doubt that the shock of the students, who went to collect their graduation gowns, at seeing the label Made in Israel printed on the bags for the gowns was much bigger than mine when I heard about it! I cannot stand reading the word Israel let alone see a product made there!

Shock turns to submission when Al Romoh admits that there are Israel-made products readily available in Jordan and that consumers have a choice to make:
(snip)
This is not the first time that Jordanians are shocked with the presence of Israeli products being sold without shame and openly in local markets. For instance, there are certain types of fruit that are sold in large supermarket chains and even by street vendors, where each single fruit has a sticker with “Made in Israel” printed on it. Jordan's Minister of Agriculture had clarified that all Israeli products have the label Made in Israel on them and consumers will have to choose whether to buy or boycott those products.
(Snip)