CNN's Larry King Announces End Of Show

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
story.php?storyId=128201356
NPR:

Larry King, who has interviewed statesmen and stars from a prime-time perch at CNN for 25 years but has seen his ratings sag recently, said Tuesday that he will step down this fall from his nightly show.

"It's time to hang up my nightly suspenders," King said in a message sent to fans via Twitter.

King said he will do occasional specials for CNN. He reached his 25-year anniversary this month and takes pride in a Guinness Book of World Records citation for hosting the longest-running show on the same network in the same time slot.

The longtime radio host was a pioneer in cable television, his desk considered a valued spot to sit for anyone interested in talking to the nation. King's interview style was plain-spoken and critics would suggest occasionally ill-prepared, but he was good at making his guests feel comfortable and ready to talk.

As cable news audiences gravitated toward politically pointed shows and newsmakers found many more outlets for interviews, King slipped behind Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity and MSNBC's Rachel Maddow in the ratings. The 76-year-old broadcast veteran made people wonder if he was disconnected during interviews with the likes of Lady Gaga.

King said he felt no pressure from CNN to leave. He said he began thinking about stepping down as his 25th anniversary week ended, after he interviewed LeBron James, Bill Gates, Lady Gaga and President Obama.

He's conducted an estimated 50,000 interviews during a 53-year broadcasting career.

CNN is in the midst of remaking its prime-time lineup, and last week announced that former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and conservative columnist Kathleen Parker would co-host an 8 p.m. EDT show on politics and current events.

CNN executives often have said that when Larry King Live ends, it won't necessarily be replaced by a similar show. Recent published reports have suggested that America's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan could be a candidate for a show in that time slot. CBS' Katie Couric has been considered a potential successor, though that talk has cooled lately.

King said if it was up to him, Ryan Seacrest would be the best choice to fill his shoes.
________

Larry King's statement.

I say give it to Rod Blagojevich. Heck, he already knows everybody he wanted to give a Senate seat to...

Who is this Larry King you speak of....and why do we care?

Brits.....sheesh.

Just kidding AnneV. Larry King is probably the best known as one of the original political talk show hosts. He, along with Ted Koppel pretty much pioneered the genre.

The fact that King made his career exclusively on CNN should let you know what his political bent is, but he has actually done a few revealing interviews.

Apparently, King is a bit of a lady's man as well.....somehow this wizened corpse of a man:

larry_king.jpg

Has consistently ended up married to women like this:

shawn-southwick-larry-king-wife-photos.jpg

shoutAnneV!

LOL.

Larry King (A)live. Who can tell? There's a product past its shelf date.

Guest AnneV

Brits.....sheesh.

Brits?

Who you talkin' about darling'?

I'm an American -- thank you very much ;)

p.s. Proud to say I'm an EX-Brit :D

SrWoodchuck

Brits.....sheesh.

Brits?

shoutAnneV! No, thank you very much, and glad to have you here!

In one of my past lives, when MrsSrWoodchuck was very pregnant with our oldest child; I worked for Dow Jones, distributing the Wall Street Journal to Northern Colorado. I'd be at the presses by 9:30PM S-T, pick up my papers & be on the road until 5:30AM, dropping bundles for delivery & boxes. One of my greatest pleasures was listening to the last of Larry King [back when he'd only been married 6 times] and then.....Radio Mystery Theater! This was before "audio books" and was a 3 hour theater production, with breaks for "Paul Harvey & the Rest of the Story!"

Larry King was not half bad, if Mystery Theater & Paul Harvey were coming on, too.

:lmfao::lmfao:

Brits.....sheesh.

Brits?

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Guest AnneV

Brits.....sheesh.

Brits?

shoutAnneV! No, thank you very much, and glad to have you here!

I have to tell you this...When we became citizens, we were in a group of 500+ people taking the oath of allegiance. New citizens were from all points of the globe that day...everywhere from Russia, Egypt, Uzbekistan and other such countries, in total more than 50 countries were represented, but the biggest contingent of all, and the group that got the biggest and loudest round of applause, were from Mexico!

It was an unspoken, "thank you for coming in through the front door and, legally" message.

I think that he was a character in the Lord of the Rings.

And we care because it was a great movie trilogy.

gollum.jpg