‘The Accidental Politician’

Valin

?q=MWQyMGE0N2E1NzFmYWQxZjNlOTAyOWViZjc5ZWE0Mzc=
The Corner:

Robert Costa
6/14/10

Sharron Angle, the GOP nominee for U.S. Senate in Nevada, visited National Review’s offices in New York this afternoon. A former home-school advocate who calls herself an “accidental politician,” Angle says she’s running because it’s her “patriotic duty.” Here are some excerpts from the interview:

Why she’s running: “I was the first one to enter the race against Harry Reid,” she says. “We needed someone in direct contrast to Harry Reid.… I knew that in order to bring out that independent voter, you had to have the contrast. You had to say we’re not the same as the Democrats, that we really have a true contrast, that we’re someone different. That’s why I jumped in the race.… It’s just been a phenomenon.”

On her primary win: “It became focused with the Tea Party Express endorsement,” she says. “The first endorsement that we got that was of great consequence was from Gun Owners of America. We knew that was of great consequence because it reached across party lines in Nevada. We’re pretty much a 90 percent Second Amendment state. We knew that we were now reaching into constituencies with independent voters as well as Democrat voters. Then this tea-party movement, that was moving across party lines. Then we got Phyllis Schlafly, and she was moving across party lines for us. Same thing with Mark Levin, the talk-show host. When those four really solidified, now we had conservatives from every passionate voter base.… That’s when we thought this thing was really doable.… I give God a lot of credit. Most everything has a providential side in American history.

(Snip)

On the GOP: “I like Senator Tom Coburn and the way that he votes. I also like Senator Jim DeMint. Both are stellar, stellar senators. When I ran for Congress, I had the great pleasure of meeting Congressman Mike Pence. I certainly admire him. I also admire Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and her voting record.” Does she want Washington’s help? “Of course,” she says. “That’s why I’m back here [in New York and in Washington on Tuesday]. I wasn’t here just to talk to the National Review [she laughs]. I have a meeting this evening with big donors here in New York.… Tomorrow, we go to Washington, D.C., to meet with Senator Cornyn, Senator DeMint, all of the senatorial committee. We’re meeting with the NRSC, the RNC, all of that…officialdom. We’re meeting with everyone. We know that everybody has been kind of divided over what’s happened in the past year, but it’s time to unite and it’s time to go forward and it’s time to gain some ground that we haven’t had for almost 20 years. That’s the ground the makes us the shining city on the hill. We need to be back there.”

(Snip)

SrWoodchuck

shoutValin, thanks for the post!

She's a neophyte when it comes to Harry's style of party politics, so the discipline of brevity may seem unnatural.

Still, it's better for her to even remain silent & be thought a fool, than to open her mouth & remove all doubt.

Harry actually is a pretty good example of that canard....

If she were to repeat, "....whatever dat guy said, NOT!" She could be the genuine citizen/statesmanstateswoman.

I wish her well.

I sure hope that she has her flack-jacket on... The DEMs will have their minions out crawling through he trash cans looking for dirt.

Stand by for a nasty campaign from the Left.