Jindal's Second Act

Geee

37780.html
Politico:

Jindal's second act

By GLENN THRUSH | 5/26/10 5:02 AM EDT

Jindal has flung himself into the crisis, enduring dawn-to-dusk briefings on the fine points of the spill and hopping on helicopters, boats and sport utility vehicles to inspect the parishes in the path of the crude.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal — who last occupied the national stage to bemoan the evils of Big Government — has seized the spotlight again, this time to demand a Big Government response to the Gulf oil spill.

The baby-faced 38-year-old has emerged as the most visible critic of an Obama-BP shotgun marriage that has thus far failed to cap the Deepwater Horizon well, accusing the president’s of a sluggish, uncoordinated response to the disaster.

In the process, he has managed to tick off the White House, annoy some Republicans who think he’s coming down too hard on Big Oil — and regain a bit of the political capital lost after delivering a widely panned GOP rebuttal to President Barack Obama’s first joint session speech to Congress in February 2009.

“He didn’t give the best speech of his life but, hey, his political career is still on the rise,” said Roger Villere, a close ally of Jindal’s who chairs the state GOP.

“He’s got real leadership capabilities,” said Villere, who is campaigning for lieutenant governor with Jindal’s support. “He’s got a brain that’s unparalleled in Louisiana.”

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) told reporters Jindal shouldn’t be “wringing his hands” over the federal response in Louisiana.

“Frankly, there are an awful lot of people who said this could never happen who are now saying, wringing their hands and saying, ‘Oh, why aren’t you doing something?’” Hoyer told reporters in his Capitol office Tuesday. “Well, the fact is that for too long, frankly, we weren’t as vigorous in oversight in terms of what safety measures were being taken, installed and maintained by these oil companies.”

Jindal’s ambitions have always extended beyond the bayou: He wasn’t shy about blasting Obama’s stimulus package as “irresponsible” — while accepting much of the money.

He also positioned himself as a responsible Republican voice on health care — dismissing the House plan as “radical,” but urging Republicans not to abandon the process.

But if it’s tempting to accuse Jindal of leveraging the Gulf crisis to revive his national political aspirations, his main concerns appear to be much closer to home. Jindal, elected to restore confidence in a state government that failed its citizens during Hurricane Katrina, is haunted by fears he’ll be compared with his predecessor, Gov. Kathleen Blanco, allies say.snip

Guest AnneV

Me too!

I've been impressed with him these past few days... a guy with leadership skills and gumption :)

We have so many good prospects. Jindal, Ryan. Christie. I hope we see some new blood and not the same old same old again.

We have so many good prospects. Jindal, Ryan. Christie. I hope we see some new blood and not the same old same old again.

Agree.

BTW Let's not forget Mitch Daniels.

pollyannaish

Would someone inform the snarky press that just because conservatives don't believe in a big government solution for everything doesn't mean they don't believe the federal government is good for nothing. :rolleyes:

kevindavis

Agree.

Naw they are all rinos.. Duncan Hunter is the true conservative!!!

kevindavis

Is that you Pissant?

Just kidding.. I want fresh faces in 12.. No offense to Palin, Romney or Jeb (even I think that Jeb is more conservative than GW)...

Agree.

All true blue right thinking yankee doddle dandy Americans KNOW there is only one true conservative! I refer of course to Tom Tancredo.

Guest AnneV

All true blue right thinking yankee doddle dandy Americans KNOW there is only one true conservative! I refer of course to Tom Tancredo.

I like his stance on illegal immigration :)

I like his stance on illegal immigration :)

I love his stance on fighting GWOT.

Sarcasm.jpg