Souder: Affair With Aide Started With Intellectual Attraction

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
souder-affair-aide-started-intellectual-attraction
Fox News:

Retired Rep. Mark Souder says he doesn't know what motivated him to commit adultery with a staff aide, a decision that forced him to pack his bags and leave Washington last week.

"I don't know. Obviously if I knew the answer to that question, I wouldn't have done it," Souder, R-Ind., told the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.

In the interview published Sunday with his hometown newspaper, Souder said that Tracy Jackson had been more than just a love interest; she was a close adviser who lived in Syracuse but had an acumen for northeast Indiana politics.

"Tracy held her own with some of the smartest staff people in Washington," he told the newspaper. "Our relationship developed because of this, not the other way around, as some have implied."

The former congressman said he planned to bail out of his re-election race this year even if he hadn't been caught in the affair with Jackson, an adviser who conducted mock news interviews with Souder for Christian radio broadcasts.

The eight-term congressman won a hard-fought primary just weeks ago. He told the newspaper he decided he wanted to withdraw to let new Republican blood enter the race in the conservative district.

Yet Souder said he also debated wading through the ethics probe that was to follow news of his affair, if only because no one had proof he and Jackson were intimately involved. He said he changed his mind when his advisers laid out for him the expense of a House ethics committee inquiry and the impact on others around him.

He said the relationship ended after the couple was spotted in a car at a wilderness preserve. A lot of what-ifs then went through his head.

"Why would somebody who's almost 60 years old and been a congressman 16 years do something juvenile?" he asked himself. "Subconsciously, was I wanting to get caught? Or was God so frustrated with me he said, 'I’ve had it. You're so stupid here I'm going to, in effect, out you.'"
________

Mr. Souder, please stop embarrassing yourself further and just go away. :rolleyes:

SrWoodchuck

Ditto,WVR!

In terms of, "...all we wanted to know about your affair & downfall...." way more than I needed.

Rep. Souder, "I came into the room, and there she was in the dim light of the copy room, with her intellect exposed, so everyone could see...I knew then.....it would be adultery for both of us!"

shoutWestVirginiaRebel! shoutSrWoodChuck!

I think he should start up an advice column or blog.

Ask Mark, a blog for the love lorn and love worn!

"Dear Mark,

My wife's intellect is starting to show more and more in public. She often goes to the public library and sits and reads, but attracts a lot attention. What should I do?

Frustrated Dan in Alexandria"

"Dear Dan,

This sounds serious. I really would like to help. Is it the central library in Alexandria or one of the branches? The Burke Branch is close to my office. On what days does she go?

Your buddy, Mark"

shoutWestVirginiaRebel! shoutSrWoodChuck!

I think he should start up an advice column or blog.

Ask Mark, a blog for the love lorn and love worn!

"Dear Mark,

My wife's intellect is starting to show more and more in public. She often goes to the public library and sits and reads, but attracts a lot attention. What should I do?

Frustrated Dan in Alexandria"

"Dear Dan,

This sounds serious. I really would like to help. Is it the central library in Alexandria or one of the branches? The Burke Branch is close to my office. On what days does she go?

Your buddy, Mark"

Reminds me of the guys who used to claim that they bought Playboy for the articles. ;)