Indiana Rep. Souder Says He'll Resign Over Affair

clearvision

clearvision
wireStory?id=10676123
ABCNews:

Indiana Republican Rep. Mark Souder announced Tuesday he would resign from Congress, effective Friday, because he had an affair with a staffer.

Souder said in a statement provided by his office that he has "sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff."

He scheduled a news conference in Fort Wayne on Tuesday to discuss his decision.

Souder won a bruising Republican primary on May 4 to be nominated for his ninth term representing northeastern Indiana.

Souder, 59, said he also would not be a candidate in the fall election.

"I believe it is the best decision for my family, the people of northeast Indiana and our country," he said in the statement.

"In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain," he said. "I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process."

Souder won the Republican primary over car dealer Bob Thomas, who spent much of his own money on television commercials portraying Souder as a career politician who wasn't a true fiscal conservative. Souder countered by emphasizing his A-plus marks from the National Rifle Association and 100 percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee.

------
Something about political power.

So the fault is not in his personal decision to betray his wife and marriage, but the "poisonous environment of Washington D.C."

So the fault is not in his personal decision to betray his wife and marriage, but the "poisonous environment of Washington D.C."

That's not the message I got. It was more that he did not want his family drug through the mud with him over his own personal failure. I don't support what he did, but at least he is taking responsibility and showing a little class while accepting the consequences of his actions.

SrWoodchuck

Souder countered by emphasizing his A-plus marks from the National Rifle Association and 100 percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee.

shoutClearvision! Thanks for the post.

It may show a little more class in the ownership of the scandal, but that parting shot said, "You're gonna miss me because.......look what I did for you."

Think that's gonna help the next Republican even get elected, to continue protecting the rights of the unborn & our Second Amendment rights?

Even the saints were sinners, before they were saints; but boys, can't you keep it zipped & out of the people's business?

WestVirginiaRebel
article.php?id=D9FPHS500&show_article=1
Breitbart:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana Rep. Mark Souder—an evangelical Christian who promoted abstinence education and was known for his outspoken views on religion—said Tuesday he will resign from Congress because of an extramarital affair with a part-time staff member.

The announcement by the eight-term Republican rocked party leaders, who had counted on keeping the Republican-leaning district in a year that many expect will favor the GOP nationally come November.

Souder's staff contacted the staff of House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, on Sunday to alert them to the situation. Boehner spoke on the phone with Souder on Monday.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said the minority leader "has been perfectly clear that he will hold our members to the highest ethical standards."

Rumors of Souder's infidelity had circulated in the northeastern Indiana district for months. Opponents reported receiving anonymous calls a few days before the May 4 primary with allegations of the affair.

But Souder's announcement that he would resign effective Friday and the confession of the affair stunned many voters who had backed his conservative support for family values and traditional marriage.

"I just think it's a crying shame," said Jean Tarner, who owns the Huntington Street Bar in downtown Syracuse. "He's supposed to be setting the values for the youth. It's just too bad."

Souder was alone during an emotional news conference at his Fort Wayne office during which he apologized for his actions but provided no details, including the name of the staffer. He said his wife and family were "more than willing" to stand with him, but "the error is mine and I should bear the responsibility," Souder said.

"I am so ashamed to have hurt the ones I love," he said as he battled tears. "I am sorry to have let so many friends down, people who have worked so hard for me."

Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels said he was surprised and disappointed by Souder's announcement but supported his decision to leave office.

"He did a wrong thing but now he's done the right thing," Daniels said.

A spokeswoman from Daniels' office said a special election will be held to fill the vacancy. The winner would complete the remainder of Souder's term that ends in January.

Throughout his time in Congress, Souder made his evangelical Christianity a centerpiece of his public persona. It was an image that played well in the 3rd District, which has a strong base of religious conservatives. Souder was known for his outspoken views on religion and his uncompromising conservative positions on social issues such as abortion.
________

Another self-proclaimed moralist bites the dust.