Senator Ted Cruz On Iran Deal Etc

Valin

senator-ted-cruz-on-iran-deal-etcHugh Hewitt Show:

Hugh Hewitt

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Senator Ted Cruz joined me on today’s show:

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Coming up soon, Ron Fournier wrote about it in the National Journal today, because he said Hillary’s in trouble. The head of the United Food and Commercial Workers, Mark Perone, is against Trans-Pacific Partnership Pact. Where’s Ted Cruz on this?

TC: I strongly support free trade, have long been an enthusiastic advocate of free trade. I think it benefits America. It benefits our farmers. It benefits our ranchers. It benefits our businesses. In Texas, there are about 2.2 million jobs that depend on free trade and exports, and I think it’s beneficial to open up new markets.

HH: All right, second sort of obscure but very important issue, on Monday, I was in D.C. at the Metropolitan Club, in fact, and I got cornered about an issue that then appeared in the L.A. Times yesterday. I’ll read you the start of the story. “As economic leaders gather here this week for meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, China is set to kick off a rival infrastructure development lender that promises to shake up the traditional American-led global financial order. Beijing in Wednesday is officially announcing the founding members of its Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank, which will use its initial capital of $50 billion, and eventually $100 billion, to invest in roads, cell phone towers, railways, airports and other infrastructure projects across Asia.” Senator Cruz, my international development friends were saying this is a nightmare for us, and we did not, the Obama administration, did nothing to stop China from doing this.

TC: Well, I think it’s a manifestation of what we have seen across the globe, which is that for the last six years under the Obama-Clinton foreign policy, America has receded from leadership in the world, and it’s crated a vacuum. And other nations have stepped into that vacuum. You’ve had horrifically bad actors like the nation of Iran, which is in a much stronger position today than they were when Obama was elected. You have extreme radical Islamic terrorists like ISIS. You’ve got Russia on the ascendancy, and in the Pacific, you’re seeing China building up its military, using more and more force to put pressure to expand its reach. And this is one manifestation of that, that when we lead from behind, the world is a more dangerous place. And that’s been the most consistent consequence of the foreign policy of the last six years.

(Snip)