Parliament Hill attacked, soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Valin

parliament-hill-attacked-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-in-ottawa-1.2808710CBC:

Dean Beeby, CBC News

Oct 22, 2014 10:02 AM ET

A man with a rifle shot a soldier standing guard at the War Memorial in downtown Ottawa, and witnesses said there were further shots fired on nearby Parliament Hill.

It was not immediately known if there were further injuries.

Alain Merisier. who works at the cafeteria in the Parliament building, told CBC News that said he saw a man in a car at the Centre Block with a long gun.

Witnesses said they then heard shots fired, and there was an unconfirmed report of a person injured outside the Library of Parliament.

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Attack #2?

Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby

Randall Palmer and David Ljunggren

OTTAWA Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:23pm EDT

(Reuters) - A gunman attacked Canada's parliament on Wednesday, with gunfire erupting near a room where Prime Minister Stephen Harper was speaking, and a soldier was fatally shot at a nearby war memorial, jolting the Canadian capital.

The gunman in the parliament building was shot dead, and Harper was safely removed.

Canadian police said they could not "at this point" confirm whether the man who shot dead the soldier, who was guarding the National War Memorial in central Ottawa, was the same person who shortly afterwards attacked the parliament building.

(Snip)

I searched the site for this a few minutes ago on "Canada" and did not find it posted, so added comment on the Porch.

Copying that post over:

OK, I tell you right up front I'm shocked to the core about this....

The shooter up at the Canadian Parliament building (that killed a soldier standing on duty) and fired 30 or so rounds after that....

Recently converted to Islam.

Shocked I tell you.

Suspected shooter identified in Canada attack
Ashley Fantz, Josh Levs and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN
updated 6:38 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014

(CNN) -- Michael Zehaf-Bibeau has been identified by Canadian officials to their American counterparts as the suspected gunman in Wednesday's shooting in Ottawa, multiple U.S. officials told CNN.

The gunman was killed after two shooting incidents -- one at the Canada War Memorial, which is near the Parliament building, and another round of shooting inside Parliament -- in Ottawa, where this kind of violence is extremely rare.

Bibeau, who was born in 1982, was a convert to Islam and had a history of drug use before he converted, two sources said.

(Snip)

A body outside ground at library of parliament

B0jmSMuIMAA_7J6.jpg

I searched the site for this a few minutes ago on "Canada" and did not find it posted, so added comment on the Porch.

Our search engine is not the best.

What some people don't seem to get is Islamic terror refuses to stay overseas. The days of having two oceans to protect you are long gone.

Tarek Fatah ਤਾਰਿਕ @TarekFatah ·

I'll be on @SunNewsNetwork with @michaelcoren and @FaithGoldy discussing the war on Canada by International Jihad of Islamism. Tune in.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll try and post the vid in the morning.

Taken out by this guy....

B0lK3vYCcAEFoVR.jpg

@Valin, In this case search was fine... just word "Canada" was not in morning post.

Good man with a gun beats a bad man with a gun.

Tarek Fatah ਤਾਰਿਕ @TarekFatah ·

I'll be on @SunNewsNetwork with @michaelcoren and @FaithGoldy discussing the war on Canada by International Jihad of Islamism. Tune in.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll try and post the vid in the morning.

http://youtu.be/wXUm-AOGHWQ

Mother of Canada shooting suspect tells AP: I'm crying for victims, not for my son

BENJAMIN SHINGLER , Associated Press
Updated: October 23, 2014

OTTAWA, Ontario — The mother of the man accused of killing a soldier at Ottawa's war memorial then storming Parliament before being shot dead says she is crying for the victims of the shooting, not her son.

In a brief and tear-filled telephone interview with The Associated Press Thursday, Susan Bibeau said she did not know what to say to those hurt in the attack.

"Can you ever explain something like this?" she said. "We are sorry."

(Snip)

Bideau and her husband had earlier sent the AP a lengthy email expressing horror and sadness at what happened.

"I am mad at my son," the email said, explaining that he seemed lost "and did not fit in."

"I his mother spoke with him last week over lunch, I had not seen him for over five years before that," the email said. "So I have very little insight to offer."

(Snip)

Shooter Zehaf-Bibeau was staying at Ottawa Mission before rampage: witnesses (with video)

October 23, 2014

The gunman killed on Parliament Hill on Wednesday had been staying at the Ottawa Mission on Waller Street for some time and had, along with two other men, been trying to get ahold of a vehicle, witnesses have told the Citizen.

One witness says that while at the downtown shelter, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau would talk about being anti-Canadian and tell others how his relatives had been fighters in Libya.

Zehaf-Bibeau had been at the Mission for about 10 days prior to Wednesday, when he gunned down a soldier at the National War Memorial, according to a man who identified himself as Scott.

Another man, who said his initials were P.M., said Zehaf-Bibeau was close with two younger anglophone Caucasian men, roughly 20 years of age, who would speak with him often about Islam.

(Snip)

Ottawa Shooter Acted Alone, Wasnt on High-Risk List

Greg Quinn and Theophilos Argitis

Oct 23, 2014

Michael Zehaf-Bibeau appears to have acted alone when he shot a soldier near Canadas Parliament and stormed the legislature with police in pursuit.

Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, was identified publicly for the first time by Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson. The assailant came to Ottawa seeking a passport and police say he may have wanted to travel to Syria. He didnt appear on a list of about 90 high-risk people known to police and wasnt under investigation.

The investigation is ongoing and well rapidly determine if Zehaf-Bibeau had any help in the attacks, Paulson said at a press conference in Ottawa. The Canadian citizen may have had dual citizenship with Libya, police said.

There is no connection between the shooting in Ottawa and the death of a soldier near Montreal this week, Paulson said. Zehaf-Bibeau may have associated with others who shared his radical views.

We do have now information that suggests an association with some individuals who shared his radical views, Paulson said. In terms of how he got the gun, that is a primary focus of our investigation. It was a 30-30 Winchester lever action gun, certainly the source of that gun is of tremendous interest to us. He was prohibited criminally from possessing firearms.

(Snip)

Canada vows tougher laws as citizens worry in face of attacks

Randall Palmer, Richard Valdmanis and Leah Schnurr

OTTAWA Fri Oct 24, 2014

(Reuters) - Canada vowed on Friday to toughen laws against terrorism as an opinion poll showed a majority of Canadians lacked confidence in their security services' ability to deter homegrown radicals who struck twice in the past week.

* Investigators said there was no apparent link between the two attackers, who killed a soldier each in Quebec and the capital Ottawa, but Canadians worried about the parallels.

Police said both assailants had been through a radicalization, a term the government uses to refer to Canadians who become supporters of militant Islamic groups. Both attackers were shot dead.

Justice Minister Peter MacKay said the government would act swiftly and go beyond the terms of a bill already planned that would strengthen the powers of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service spy agency.

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* I disagree! Neither one was a member of the Rotarians

• Like 1

HUGE MAJOR SHOCKING NEWS!!!

Police say Ottawa gunman driven by ideological, political motives
October 27, 2014

Canadian authorities said late Sunday that the gunman who fatally shot a soldier and attacked the Parliament building in Ottawa last week had "ideological and political" motives.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a statement that Michael Zehaf-Bibeau had made a video of himself prior to committing Wednesday's attack. No details of the video's contents were released, but CBC News reported that the gunman appeared to make specific references to Canadian foreign policy in the video and praises Allah. CBC also reported that the video appeared to have been made the day before the attack and would be released publicly later this week.

(Snip)