Detroit Nears Bankruptcy

Valin

detroit-nears-bankruptcyVia Meadia:

Walter Russell Mead

2/11/12

For decades, Detroit has been the poster child for urban decline in America. Now things have reached an even newer low: The city is projected to run out of money by next month and seems to have no credible plans to make up this shortfall.

Interestingly, despite statements by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder that the state would appoint an emergency manager to run the city in lieu of the elected government, the Wall Street Journal reports that Snyder and Detroit Mayor David Bing have agreed to forgo this process as well, leaving the city in the hands of many of the people who brought it to this point in the first place. The turnaround should begin any minute.

(Snip)

It’s hard to think of many social experiments that have more disastrously failed. Now many of these once flourishing cities are hollowed out shells, while around them suburbs and increasingly exurbs flourish away from the deadening influence of urbanist politics. None of this affects the hold of progressive and urbanist ideology on true believers; if anything, they believe even more passionately in the cause. Obviously the problem is that we haven’t spent enough on enough tenured teachers, haven’t written enough new regulations and established enough new bureaus to enforce them, haven’t published enough white papers by enough credentialed planners, haven’t extracted enough taxes and provided enough services. If we could just tax the suburbs and exurbs more heavily and spend more of the money in the cities, all would be well.

(Snip)

One of my guilty pleasures is watching the TV show "Hard Core Pawn". (Please read the last word correctly). Unbelieveable. Except I believe it. LIke a few other cities in this country (...Memphis....) a complete collapse might be the only way to fix it.

pollyannaish

Your posting privilege has been revoked.

Reason:

This is Newt Gingrich territory.

Okay

It's happened to many of us. Group think is a tough nut to crack. We like to think of TRR as American country. Glad you're here. You do feel cut off at first and I am sorry!

righteousmomma

Your posting privilege has been revoked.

Reason:

This is Newt Gingrich territory.

Okay

OK!!! Welcome to our elite club here at TRR. I had the privilege of being banned a couple years ago 'cause I was a "troll"..

@Evad Funny thread -- irony is good. Terribly tragic about once great cities though.

oops edited to say the tornado was not "funny" AT ALL but the irony was in the picture of destruction.

@Rokke At different times my now deceased brothers used to live in Memphis. When I visited one of them back in the 60s Memphis was a typical Southern City on the move. Great jazz and good barbecue. SHAME!!

You get what you elect.

Good article. I read through a few of the responses, and there's actually a few good ones.

We just hired a Detroit escapee. They all have stories, don't they?

I'd have to think if I lived anywhere in Michigan I'd be tempted to get out as all my tax dollars were vacuumed into Detroit. Same if I lived in Northern California. Or New York. Hmm, we're gonna run out of states soon.

Good article. I read through a few of the responses, and there's actually a few good ones.

We just hired a Detroit escapee. They all have stories, don't they?

I'd have to think if I lived anywhere in Michigan I'd be tempted to get out as all my tax dollars were vacuumed into Detroit. Same if I lived in Northern California. Or New York. Hmm, we're gonna run out of states soon.

Don't forget Maryland wallbash.gif

Oh, I haven't. When we were looking to move back north, I drew the line at Virginia. When are you going to join us? wink.png