Karzai’s Response to Obama’s Apology: Put U.S. Troops on Trial and Punish Them

Geee

karzai-s-response-obama-s-apology-put-us-troops-trial-and-punish-themCNSnews:

Afghan President Hamid Karzai and U.S. President Barack Obama at the presidential palace in Kabul in 2010. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

(CNSNews.com) - Three days after President Barack Obama dispatched his ambassador to Afghanistan to hand deliver a personal letter from the president of the United States to Afghan President Hamid Karzai apologizing because U.S. forces at Bagram Air Force Base had mistakenly burnt some Korans, Karzai has responded to the gesture in a statement broadcast live on Afghan television.

Karzai, according to a BBC translation of his remarks made Sunday, told the Afghan people he was speaking to them after discussing the matter with “jihadi leaders,” “prominent scholars,” and Afghan elected officials, and that he spoke for the “pure sentiments” of the “Afghan nation” and the “Islamic world,” when he said: “We call on the US government to bring the perpetrators of the act to justice and put them on trial and punish them.”

At the same time Karzai was demanding the prosecution and punishment of U.S. troops involved in the Koran-burning incident, he conceded that the U.S. government had indicated that the Koran burning “was not deliberate.”

"We all know that regrettably some days ago an American soldier burnt our Holy Koran,” Karzai said, according to the BBC translation. “We condemn this vicious act in the strongest terms. The government and the people, scholars, tribal dignitaries, spiritual figures of Afghanistan, the educated people of our country all share the people's feelings... Our people's sensitiveness is right and is laudable.”Scissors-32x32.png

We have forgotten so much! Or, given the dimness to historical record time promotes, our memories are filled now with gaps, shades, fog, and confusion.

Moreover, given the advent of technology (digital photography, internet, blogging, "imbedded" press with combat units, cell phones with still and moving picture capability, and the like) all military actions - regardless of size - are now under intense and often unsuspected scrutiny.

What do I mean by "forgotten".

OK...try this.

Suppose all the technolgy we have today had been as prevelant and available in WWII as it is today (military weaponry remains as it was then). What kind of "atrocities", "horrors", "slaughters", "burning of "sacred texts" would have been recorded??? D-Day? Battle of the Budge?? Iwo Jima?? Okinawa??, Bataan, Siapan, Hamburg?? Dresden?? The Polish Ghetto?? Berkenau?? Auschwitz??, and all the rest.

War is war...declared or undeclared....and it places young men and women in harm's way. These young men and women - former members of their society, their culture, their neighborhoods, their churches, their bars, their schools - are who and what they are. Wearing the uniform does not change that. If a Koran....or lots of Korans....are burned, so be it. Better, I suppose, than an entire city. If prisoners are forced to wear underwear over their heads, better, I suppose, that taking them to the shower, gassing them, then incinerating the corpses. A drone strike that mistakenly kills 13 people; better, I suppose, than 50,000 tons of bombs designed to cause fires dropped on a city of 250.000 people burning to death over 100,000 civilians.

I could go on...but you get the idea.

We have forgotten so much! Or, given the dimness to historical record time promotes, our memories are filled now with gaps, shades, fog, and confusion.

Moreover, given the advent of technology (digital photography, internet, blogging, "imbedded" press with combat units, cell phones with still and moving picture capability, and the like) all military actions - regardless of size - are now under intense and often unsuspected scrutiny.

What do I mean by "forgotten".

OK...try this.

Suppose all the technolgy we have today had been as prevelant and available in WWII as it is today (military weaponry remains as it was then). What kind of "atrocities", "horrors", "slaughters", "burning of "sacred texts" would have been recorded??? D-Day? Battle of the Budge?? Iwo Jima?? Okinawa??, Bataan, Siapan, Hamburg?? Dresden?? The Polish Ghetto?? Berkenau?? Auschwitz??, and all the rest.

War is war...declared or undeclared....and it places young men and women in harm's way. These young men and women - former members of their society, their culture, their neighborhoods, their churches, their bars, their schools - are who and what they are. Wearing the uniform does not change that. If a Koran....or lots of Korans....are burned, so be it. Better, I suppose, than an entire city. If prisoners are forced to wear underwear over their heads, better, I suppose, that taking them to the shower, gassing them, then incinerating the corpses. A drone strike that mistakenly kills 13 people; better, I suppose, than 50,000 tons of bombs designed to cause fires dropped on a city of 250.000 people burning to death over 100,000 civilians.

I could go on...but you get the idea.

I always keep telling people to Read Some Friggin History!!!

We now take live to leftwing nutterville!

Warning! may cause sever pain and an almost uncontrollable desire to grab a rifle and head for the nearest tall building.

last chance...You Have Been Warned...so don't blame me.

I don't understand. Two questions:

These were Quran's, confiscated by our military, from detainee's....and according to what I read, "...they were seized by our troops because they had secret code embedded in the text." Why weren't they sent to the US for study & then securely incinerated & flushed down the bowl?

His Excellency's apologies cost four American soldiers lives.....is there any reason why we couldn't just yank Karzai's special forces, American bodyguards....and say, "Seeya!"

• Like 1