What are your wine recommendations?

Rheo

Not contributing with brand names, but we have a business model in town that's a gift to both the wine tourist and aficionado. (Me being the wine tourist :) )This fantastic gourmet restaurant in town has a side shop with two rules:

1) All wines are rated 89 points or higher.

2) All wines in stock have a price of $10 flat to the customers.

They have a relatively small selection, but it constantly turns over with new wines every month. With the flat, low price you just try something in a family of wine you want that day and don't have to think about price. They move a lot of wine, so the suppliers are highly motivated to supply just a few excellent wines at a good price. These same wines are either more expensive or unavailable in other shops. These same wines, they feature in the main restaurant.

Not exactly on topic, but given the audience, I thought you'd find the idea interesting.

That is interesting Saltbag. Most of the wines at the local NE Ohio Wineries are more expensive than this..(the ones that are rated highly)

One of my favorites is Stone's Ginger Wine (from England)

Have a lot of others I enjoy too but love ginger in about everything

• 2 months later...

One of our new favorite zins:

gallery_3_20_8710.jpg

This is a jam-filled, expressive example of Zinfandel. Plum, cinnamon, and mulled berry fruit notes fill the nose as black raspberry and vanilla notes roll throughout the palate which lead to some pie crust and mocha on the finish.

I suggest a bottle of Mogen-David's 20/20, perhaps better known as Mad Dog. I prefer to stick to beer, but if you want a classy dinner with your date, MD and a bucket of fried chicken or Taco Bell is the way to go... :evil:

I suggest a bottle of Mogen-David's 20/20, perhaps better known as Mad Dog. I prefer to stick to beer, but if you want a classy dinner with your date, MD and a bucket of fried chicken or Taco Bell is the way to go... :evil:

Ha.

For you.

Blue-Moon-Beer-780348_bmp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

winepointer.gif 2009 TAZ Pinot Gris/Grigio from Taz, California. $16. TRR rating is 7.

gallery_3_20_11299.jpgNice. Not sweet or dry, crisp. The ending lime taste is a nice surprise.

righteousmomma

To a couple of our friends here in town we have become wine philistines.

The French/Italian/German/Austrian glow has worn off and economics has set in.

(Unlike with our friends and their social group)

So! We buy on average $9.99 to $12 and occasionally will spurge on a $16. Mostly we buy at the grocery or Italian meat market. (EXCEPT when our Bordeaux Society/Wine Gourmets come to dinner then we might buy in the the $16 -$20 range.)

I thought it was funny that the other day at a get together 2 of our neighbors were discussing and (really rather know it all bragging) their wine knowledge. NCT (who probably knows more about wine and has a better nose and taste than the above average American) just stood there and smiled and said nada while we sipped on our Castle Rock (about) $9.00 Merlot or was that our $9.99 Mondavi Meritage ??

Even in one of our top rated for cookery restaurants around or a chain like Brio we stick with the $27 to $30 range as a general deal.

Seriously though the South American and Australian and Californian and Oregon and Italian and Spanish are fast becoming my favorite. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Ok, tonight and several other nights we have enjoyed:

Posted Image

In this synergistic blend, the Zinfandel from 50 year old vines lends the jammy fruit quality to the wine, the Carignane adds density and finish, and the Sangiovese shows off cherry aromatics and flavors.

Posted Image

In this synergistic blend, the Zinfandel from 50 year old vines lends the jammy fruit quality to the wine, the Carignane adds density and finish, and the Sangiovese shows off cherry aromatics and flavors.

Impressive Miss Rheo!

Posted Image

Impressive Miss Rheo!

I just copied and pasted from the winery site as I do in my day job. ha.

We had a lovely Dalle Valle 2000 Cab tonight with the filet Mignon that clearvision made to perfection along with baked potato and corn on the cob baked in the husk. mmmmmm.

gallery_3_20_11196.jpg

Beautiful nose with hints of lavender, blueberry pie, buttermilk and floral notes. In the mouth nice citrus quality, Feminine, sophisticated, classy wine with great balance. Elegant. Soft, harmonious. Excellent tannin structure.

Needed to decant and once it opened it was really good!

edited to add: remind you of anyone? ha

righteousmomma
Beautiful nose with hints of lavender, blueberry pie, buttermilk and floral notes. In the mouth nice citrus quality, Feminine, sophisticated, classy wine with great balance. Elegant. Soft, harmonious. Excellent tannin structure.

In all my vast wine imbibing experience that is the most oxymoronic metaphorically challenged analogy I have ever encountered as to the bouquet and character of a wine. :rolleyes: . :P

Rady Lheo should write more descriptions after working so hard. :lmfao:

(Loved every word)

In all my vast wine imbibing experience that is the most oxymoronic metaphorically challenged analogy I have ever encountered as to the bouquet and character of a wine. :rolleyes: . :P

(Loved every word)

Several years ago we were invited to a "somewhat snooty" Bordeaux Society wine tasting.

Some of the regular members brought highly regarded bottles from their cellars.

One of the descriptions of an older wine that had not yet "time to catch its breath" was BARNYARD. :unsure:

I'm still not certain if that was meant to be good or bad. :huh:

Scroll to comments

1996 Château Gruaud Larose (Red, France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien) Find this wine to buy

85 points - Tasted Oct 4, 2010

1996 Gruaud Larose opened with barnyard, tobacco, earth and unclean aromas. Medium to full bodied with a lean, rustic personality and an earthy, cassis flavored finish, this is not a success for a vintage where so many great wines were produced in the Medoc. I do not see this wine improving with age.

cow-poop-beetles-324x205.jpg

(Loved every word)

I don't write these descriptions, just copy and paste and drink em up. :D

• 4 months later...

Just received a bottle of wine as partial payment for some work. It's called "Evolution". From a winery in OR called "Sokol Blosser" (I've never heard of it).

At any rate - it remains unopened, but the following gives me high hopes. From "Fine Cooking" magazine: "Evolution is clean tasting, refreshing, and oh-so-easy to drink. It's a great apéritif and a slam-dunk match for Asian flavors that can be tricky to pair with wine. Evolution is just as good a match for every night favorites like roast chicken or grilled salmon. (Do stay away from tomato-based dishes, which would overwhelm Evolution's delightful aromas and flavors.)"

We'll see!

Anyone ever have this wine before?? Did you like it??

I've had Pinor Noir from Sokol Blosser, but not the Evolution. As it is a blend they should be able to control the quality and flavors pretty well.