Nashville church shooting: 1 killed, 7 injured by man wearing mask (Update: Mugshot released)

Valin

nashville-church-shooting-1-killed-7-injured-man-wearing-mask

John Sexton

Posted at 5:05 pm on September 24, 2017

25-year-old man named Emanuel Kidega Samson drove to the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Nashville and opened fire. A woman walking to her car in the parking lot was shot and killed. The gunman, wearing a mask, then went inside and began shooting, injuring six more people. The shooting probably would have continued if not for one very brave usher who confronted the gunman. From News Channel 5:

(Snip)

The shooter and the other victims were taken to area hospitals. The shooter is expected to survive. A reporter for News Channel 5 has a bit more detail:

(Snip)

Facebook: Burnette Chapel Church of Christ

3 hours ago, Valin said:

Kimberly Davis @NC5_KDavis

Victims names in this morning's #ChurchShooting @NC5

DKhG94aVwAAwMvi.jpg

1:51 PM - 24 Sep 2017

I have often thought about this while sitting in church.  People sitting in their pews are sitting ducks.  And in our church, like most I think, the main entry is the street side and people are facing the opposite direction toward the alter and the pulpit.  Easy to take everyone by surprise.  Sometimes I even look around and wonder if there is anyone with concealed carry.  What a time we live in.

• Like 4

The difference in MSM coverage of this horrible event and other events of a similar nature is "black and white".

I have no idea about any of the motives or circumstances surrounding the recent shooting, but the reporting has a totally different slant... and it's fallen off the front pages after one day.   

A story has to fit the MSM narrative to contain certain facts or even be reported.   It can't even be called "news" anymore.

@nickydog Our church has uniformed security as well as ununiformed at our services.  So sad that this is necessary in these times.    

1 minute ago, NCTexan said:

I have no idea about any of the motives or circumstances surrounding the recent shooting,

I'll be looking today for the reason for this.  I mean he attended the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ  at one time, and he has proclaimed that he was a Christian.

1 hour ago, Valin said:

I'll be looking today for the reason for this.  I mean he attended the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ  at one time, and he has proclaimed that he was a Christian.

I wouldn't expect the MSM to dig too deeply here....  they might not like the answer.   Who knows about his motive, but there's no question about that of the MSM or the Left in any event similar to this.   

• Like 1

One of the reasons that I carry concealed in church. IWB holster under a long tailed shirt. No printing. No one knows except me. I am an usher...and must sit in the back with the other ushers. It's just me and one other big guy that take any collections to "drop" in the safe...and sometimes we have 2 collections after the sermon or at the end of Mass. I am always trying to maintain situational awareness...and think about how I should position myself for cover or concealment...and act properly when a situation occurs. Wherever I am...I try to look 360 degrees as I am entering or leaving home or when out and about...and see if anything looks..."abnormal." 

One Sunday, before I carried concealed, a disheveled man in shorts and a t-shirt...came running up the center aisle as our priest began his sermon...straight at him...while he was at the ambo. He began waving his hands, cussing and yelling as he approached. I got out of my pew in the back to start after him...but before I got there...8 stout men had surrounded him and had him held...en masse....right at the base of the altar and below the priest. He continued to struggle and flail...but the men each grabbed a limb and moved...as a unit...toward the back of the church. He had newly moved to the neighborhood...had a night of drinking and was upset that our St. Joseph parish bell was ringing at 7:30AM. Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies claimed him and gave him a sit-down...but the priest met with them and asked that they not keep him confined. He told us the following Sunday...that he had the decibels of the bell muted slightly (even though we were well under the Golden noise ordinance)...and that he had apologized to the man for waking him up! St. Joseph's Parish came into being in 1879...although the church has moved several times. The latest building was erected in 1967...on land donated by a Golden judge from the 19th century...and is next to the Golden cemetery...where we've had fewer noise  complaints.

Shortly after this happened...there was a church shooting in Colorado Springs...where the shooter killed 2 people in the parking lot and went into the church to kill some more. He was wounded by a retired Colorado Springs policewoman..who worked in the church as an usher/security. The fact that she engaged him with her concealed weapon...made him kill himself.

Really admire that young usher that stood before the shooter. It's scary thinking of drawing your weapon...and even scarier thinking you might have to shoot another human being...or accidentally kill or injure your beloved friends gathered around you. Perpetrators that shoot other people...usually go to places where they think there will be no one standing (armed or not) against them.

A good friend of mine asked me (when I first received my CCW) whether I intended to carry in church (He's also a Catholic, but attends another parish.)  At first, I was conflicted about it. Two things changed my mind: The words of my CCW instructor (an ex-SEAL- who trains Brinks guards) "If you get your CCW and don't carry...you might as well stand on your porch as you leave home... and 'Baaa'...because you are a 'sheep' and not a 'sheepdog.'" The other was a statement I read about..."carrying concealed is like flying without a parachute...you may only need it once...but if you don't have it when you need it...you won't ever need it again."

These days...you need to always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan of egress or a way to cover...or concealment. Cover is a place where it would be hard to have a bullet penetrate and kill or injure you...(brick or cement wall...or beside a car...at the wheels). Concealment is only a place where a shooter can't see you. 

Does God want you to die...unarmed...with His flock...giving your life with them...or does He want you to arm yourself to protect his flock and maybe die trying to keep them safe? I still think about it...every Sunday.

Praise God...but keep your eyes open.

• Like 1

Nashville church gunman may have wanted revenge for Charleston

John Sexton

September 29, 2017

Emanuel Kidega Samson, the man who murdered a woman at a small Nashville church Sunday, may have been motivated by revenge. When I wrote about the unfolding story, I noted that police hinted at having some information about Samson’s motive which they were not ready to discuss. Today, the Associated Press reports there was a letter found in his car which mentioned the 2015 shooting at a church in Charleson, South Carolina by racist gunman Dylann Roof:

(Snip)

There are a lot of caveats here starting with the fact that no one has been authorized to speak about this, so this is a leak of partial information that may not be giving us the whole picture. Also, the AP hasn’t seen the letter, only heard elements of a report mentioning it.

Still, there are reasons to think this might make sense of a shooting that otherwise seems difficult to explain. For one thing, the US Attorney’s Office opened a civil rights investigation into this case almost immediately. Maybe that was perfunctory or maybe the office was reacting to the discovery of the letter. Also, Samson’s rage didn’t appear to be directed at a particular person. The first person he killed was simply walking to her car. Once inside he is said to have aimed with no particular goal. Finally, there’s the obvious fact that the majority of people at the church Samson targeted are white and he is black, the reverse of the shooting in Charleston.

(Snip)

• 4 weeks later...

Concealed Carry on the March

10/28/2017 Scott McPherson

What a difference a generation can make. In 1987 crime in the United States was out of control. That same year Gallup asked Americans if they would support a ban on handguns, and a worrying forty-two percent answered “yes.”

While almost half the country wanted to ban handguns, nine states were trying something different. “Shall issue” concealed-carry laws were passed, meaning non-felons could apply for a license to carry a concealed handgun and their state government was obliged to respect their right to carry for self-defense.

Meanwhile forty states had either “May Issue” laws in place – meaning the state had discretion in the matter, typically resulting in denial – or no law respecting a citizen’s right to carry a concealed handgun for personal protection.

Just one state – Vermont – required no license. Any American citizen could carry a concealed handgun in the Green Mountain State.  :snip: 

https://mises.org/wire/concealed-carry-march