What Did the Founders Think about Freedom of Speech?

Draggingtree

what-did-the-founders-think-about-freedom-of-speech

What Did the Founders Think about Freedom of Speech?

By Mike Sabo| September 22, 2017

The natural right of an individual to speak freely has been under assault by the Left for decades. With the election of Donald Trump, the pace and ferocity of the Left’s attacks on the freedom of speech have only accelerated.

The urge among progressives to codify into law “hate speech” exceptions to the First Amendment—and even to repeal the freedom of speech altogether—is no longer the stuff of hushed fantasy on the Left. It is open and proudly spoken in the salons of D.C. and Berkeley. Members of the Orwellian-named Antifa movement attack anyone—from neo-Nazis to your run-of-the mill harmless conservative—who disagrees with the Left’s destructive ideology of identity politics.

Yet some speech is still considered more equal than others. Consider the media’s self-serving elevation of their right to speak over and against all other Americans. This has become hard to miss. Pompous news anchors with furrowed brows tell us in tones fraught with “concern” that President Trump’s refusal to be the media’s punching bag is something akin to third world authoritarianism. It is the stuff of a tyrant who wants to crush the press under his heel.   :snip: 

Ask The Regressive Left To Define Hate Speech, what exactly it is....and listen to the crickets.

What I LOVE is when I hear the 1st amendment doesn't include "hate speech" (see above), "hate speech" (see above) is exactly what the Founders/Framers had in mind I believe.

It is illegal to be a Nazi or speech positively about Nazis in Germany since the end of WW2..........Still.......................

Here in America OTOH Nazis/KKK (insert your "favorite Nutter Group Here) have every right to gather and speak, just as I (and everyone with an IQ 4 points higher than a flatworm)have every right to.......

Or make fun of them

Racists Stupid people invite abuse, it would be impolite not to offer it.

related.................

Tim Pool

Sept. 23 2017

Sargon of Akkad has arrived at Free Speech week in Berkeley. I had a chance to sit down and talk about issues of free speech, social justice, Antifa, and Berkeley violence.