Who’s Next, George Washington?

Valin

whos-next-george-washington-15396.html

What Trump got right in the press conference

Harry Stein

August 16, 2017

My first job, in 1972, was with a small weekly in Richmond, Virginia. Like my fellow writer/editors, I was a proud veteran of the sixties campus wars, and our left-of-center politics were strongly represented throughout the paper; which is to say, we were far from a neat ideological fit with the deeply conservative town Richmond still was back then. I joked with my friends up north that, the morning after Richard Nixon’s landslide victory in November, I could actually see my McGovern vote in the paper. The politics weren’t all that I disliked about Richmond. It was sleepy, ghastly hot in the summer, and in general far from what I then thought of as “the action.”

But there was one thing that I loved about the place: it was steeped in history. On Clay Street, just a few blocks from our office on Broad, was the Confederate White House. Not far off loomed the magnificent, Jefferson-designed state capitol. Over on Franklin, the Jefferson Hotel boasted the staircase said to be the model for the one in Gone With the Wind. But above all there was Monument Avenue, with its imposing statues of the generals whose prowess had sustained hope in this capital of a doomed nation a century earlier: Stonewall Jackson, J.E.B. Stuart, Robert E. Lee.

(Snip)

Maybe that’s all over now. Maybe, as my colleague Kay Hymowitz once observed, for kids today American history runs from the oppression of the Indians to the oppression of blacks to the oppression of women, with nothing ennobling in between. Not long ago, talking with several people in their twenties, I was startled to learn that, until the movie came out, none of them had heard of Dunkirk. How, then, could we expect them to know about figures like Richard Kirkland, “the Angel of Marye’s Heights,” the Confederate soldier who, during the abattoir that was Fredericksburg, emerged from the safety of the commanding Southern lines to tend to dying Union soldiers on the killing field below?

(Snip)

All of which is a preamble to saying that, in his exchange with the churlish and ignorant press corps in the aftermath of Charlottesville, Donald Trump got it right when he said: “This week it’s Robert E. Lee. I noticed that Stonewall Jackson is coming down. I wonder is it George Washington next week and is it Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” He may not have been the ideal messenger—with his combative style, manic egotism, and casual relationship with facts, he never is—but he laid out a case that for months has cried out to be made, and he did it so clearly that the refusal of the media and the elites of both parties, not just to credit it, but even to acknowledge it, speaks volumes. Though Trump has never quite defined what his notion of making America great again actually means, preserving that which needs no fixing—including the history that is our common legacy—is a key part of it.

(Snip)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

2 quick points

1. Read some (expletive deleted) history you morons...I speak here to the alt-left/sjws and the alt-right/white supremacists. 

I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize to morons for lumping you with these...well people.

2. The world/history is not black and white. It is mainly shades of gray. This is something the alt-left and alt-right apparently don't get....probably because they don't know history.

Draggingtree

Here's a List of All the Confederate Monuments They're Attempting to Remove

BY TYLER O'NEIL AUGUST 16, 2017

In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, Baltimore removed its four Confederate monuments, including statues of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. This action followed this weekend's events in Charlottesville, Va., when white supremacists protested the removal of a Lee statue, and events this week, when protesters vandalized Confederate statues in Durham, N.C., Louisville, Ky., and Gainesville, Fla.

Activists and government leaders are calling for more removals, while some counter protesters have organized to protect some monuments. Here is a brief summary of the monuments under attack — and those that aren't.

Monuments removed.

The movement against Confederate symbols gained momentum two years ago after avowed white supremacist Dylann Roof murdered nine African-Americans at a church in Charleston, S.C. Roof had shared a picture of himself with the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, known colloquially (if inaccurately) as the Confederate flag.   :snip: 

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/16/heres-a-list-of-all-the-confederate-monuments-theyre-attempting-to-remove/

Democrat Senator Proposes Removal of All Confederate Statues From US Capitol Building - Corey Booker

Sen. Cory Booker plans to propose a bill to remove all Confederate statues from the United States Capitol building, he announced Wednesday.
“I will be introducing a bill to remove Confederate statues from the US Capitol building,” Booker, D-N.J., tweeted. “This is just one step. We have much work to do.” He did not offer any information as to when he would introduce his bill.:snip:

Pelosi wants Confederate statues out of Capitol

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday joined the growing chorus of Democrats calling for the removal of Confederate statues from the Capitol. 

Calling the monuments a “reprehensible” symbol of a racist era, Pelosi urged Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and other GOP leaders to support an effort to purge the statues from the building. 

“There is no room for celebrating the violent bigotry of the men of the Confederacy in the hallowed halls of the United States Capitol or in places of honor across the country,” Pelosi said in a statement.:snip:

Speaking of :thumbdown:.................

Statue of Lincoln Defaced In Chicago

John Hinderaker

August 17, 2017

The people who are tearing down statues of Confederates in the South are barbarians, not notably different from the Taliban fanatics who blow up Buddhas and other historical monuments. Many have noted that if the barbarians want to erase Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis today, it is only a matter of time before they come for George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

We can add Abraham Lincoln to that list. Last night, a bust of Lincoln in Chicago was vandalized, apparently as a political act:

(Snip)

Abraham_Lincoln_Chicago_c0-28-640-401_s8

(Snip)

Draggingtree

america's second civil war 

View all posts from this blog

By:Pat Buchanan | August 18, 2017

"They had found a leader, Robert E. Lee—and what a leader! . . . No military leader since Napoleon has aroused such enthusiastic devotion among troops as did Lee when he reviewed them on his horse Traveller."

So wrote Samuel Eliot Morison in his magisterial The Oxford History of the American People in 1965.

First in his class at West Point, hero of the Mexican War, Lee was the man to whom President Lincoln turned to lead his army. But when Virginia seceded, Lee would not lift up his sword against his own people, and chose to defend his home state rather than wage war upon her.

This veneration of Lee, wrote Richard Weaver, "appears in the saying attributed to a Confederate soldier, 'The rest of us may have . . . descended from monkeys, but it took a God to make Marse Robert.'"

Growing up after World War II, this was accepted history.

Yet, on the militant left today, the name Lee evokes raw hatred and howls of "racist and traitor." A clamor has arisen to have all statues of him and all Confederate soldiers and statesmen pulled down from their pedestals and put in museums or tossed onto trash piles.   :snip:   https://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/americas-second-civil-war/

(Title of this article should be "War of Northern Aggression")

Draggingtree

What Lincoln Might Say About Charlottesville

By Rebecca Ryskind Teti| August 18, 2017

Something like hate stirs within me at the sight of the swastika unfurled on American soil: a powerful, visceral reaction against white supremacy as the complete antithesis of both the American Founding, which I love, and the person of Christ, whom I love by an order of magnitude more and strive to live up to. The heart knows: here is an enemy, mortally opposed to the principle that all persons are created equal and ought to be judged not by any accident of birth, but by the content of their character.

An additional reason I hate the Nazi flag and the white supremacist creed is that it has such power to stir blind rage in me. In the abstract, I understand at all times that good and evil run through every human heart. But no other group of people makes me know so readily that I have murder and mayhem in me, too: I feel it the instant I see them marching under that flag or hear their vile chants.    :snip: https://amgreatness.com/2017/08/18/lincoln-might-say-charlottesville/

Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion

Paul Mirengoff

August 20, 2017

If you don’t mind feeling nauseated, check out this statement by Durham County District Attorney Roger Echols, in which he explains the factors he will consider in determining “a just resolution” to the case of those who destroyed the public monument in Durham. Echols says he will balance accountability for the destruction of property against the “climate in which these actions were undertaken.” He seems to believe that a neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville, after which one neo-Nazi ran over counter-protesters, is a partial justification, or at least a mitigating circumstance, for the unlawful destruction of property in Durham.

Echols proceeds to double down on this lawless theory of “justice.” He claims that justice requires him to consider the “pain of recent events in Charlottesville, and the pain in Durham and the nation.” I must have been absent the day my criminal law professor discussed emotional pain as a defense for vandalism.

Echols’ novel theory is a recipe for anarchy. Michael “Gentle Giant” Brown is shot in Ferguson? Smash some windows. Trayvon Martin is killed in Florida? Loot whitey’s store. You may be prosecuted, but if Roger Echols has his way you may get off lightly because of your pain.

(Snip)

Christopher Columbus monument in Baltimore smashed to combat ‘white supremacy’

A monument to Christopher Columbus that was over 200 years old was smashed with a sledgehammer Monday morning to combat a “culture of white supremacy.”

A YouTube channel titled “Popular Resistance” posted footage of men in hoodies destroying a monument to Columbus and his famous voyage in 1492. The individuals carried signs that read “Racism: Tear it down,” and “The future is racial and economic justice.”

The Baltimore Brew, an independent website run by veteran journalists, first reported on the crime, which took place near Herring Run Park.

University of Texas in Austin removes Confederate statues

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The University of Texas quickly removed statues of Robert E. Lee and other prominent Confederate figures overnight from the main area of the Austin campus, a spokesman said Monday morning, just hours after the school’s president ordered they be taken down.

University President Greg Fenves announced late Sunday night that the statues would be removed, saying such monuments have become “symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism.” Crews started working amid a heavy police presence.

The school blocked off the area, and some arguments occurred among those gathered. But all of the statues were successfully taken down, university spokesman J.B. Bird said.
Fenves said statues of Lee, Confederate Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston and Confederate Postmaster General John H. Reagan would be moved to the Briscoe Center for American History on campus. The university in 2015 moved a statue of former Confederate President Jefferson Davis from its perch near the campus clock tower, the same area as the other statues, to the history museum.

Draggingtree
Draggingtree

so look where this so called leader came from be fore coming to U. T. 

Academic Leadership and Research at University of California, Berkeley

Before taking the deanship at UT Austin, Fenves served as chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley from 2002 to 2007. He was on the faculty of UC Berkeley for more than 20 years, and he was a key contributor for the Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, a multidisciplinary center funded by the National Science Foundation for a decade. In addition, he led a major industry-sponsored program to improve the seismic safety of utility and transportation systems.

An internationally recognized structural engineer, Fenves' research focus is on computational simulation of structures subjected to earthquakes and technology for performance-based earthquake engineering. He led the development of one of the most widely used open-source software platforms in the civil engineering profession. He was one of the early civil engineering researchers to develop wireless sensor networks for assessing the structural health of buildings, bridges and infrastructure.

Draggingtree
19 hours ago, Geee said:

Christopher Columbus monument in Baltimore smashed to combat ‘white supremacy’

A monument to Christopher Columbus that was over 200 years old was smashed with a sledgehammer Monday morning to combat a “culture of white supremacy.”

A YouTube channel titled “Popular Resistance” posted footage of men in hoodies destroying a monument to Columbus and his famous voyage in 1492. The individuals carried signs that read “Racism: Tear it down,” and “The future is racial and economic justice.”

The Baltimore Brew, an independent website run by veteran journalists, first reported on the crime, which took place near Herring Run Park.

Draggingtree

I note that the University of Texas -- Texas! -- president sneaked around in the middle of the night and had statues of four Confederate heroes removed, including Robert E. Lee. Let me state this briefly: You could take all the left wing protestors, all the leftist governors & mayors, all the politicians in the United States and throw in all the right wing protestors AND university presidents, and you could stack 'em all the way to the moon, and you STILL wouldn't have enough character & integrity to make a man one-tenth the stature of Robert E. Lee -- and they all know it.

Draggingtree

National Cathedral weighing removal of stain glass windows of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

Via Billy

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wjsp/files/styles/x_large/public/201606/confed_1.jpg

The Washington National Cathedral is debating whether to remove two stained glass windows that depict Confederate generals amid debate around the country about the removal of Confederate monuments.

NBC 4 
reported that the cathedral is considering removing the pair of 8-by-4-foot stained glass windows, which were installed in the 1950s to memorialize Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

The pieces were sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the church previously planned to decide on them next summer, but will reportedly make an announcement soon. 
:snip: https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2017/08/national-cathedral-weighing-removal-of.html