Obamacare lives

Valin

obamacare-lives.php

Scott Johnson

July 28 2017

Today is a day to be embarrassed to be a Republican, for Obamacare has survived every effort to repeal and replace it with the defection of Senator McCain in the last-ditch effort to keep the effort alive in the final vote on “skinny repeal” after midnight this morning. Robert Pear and Thomas Kaplan report the story for the New York Times here.

The defeat of Obamacare repeal efforts in the Senate is, as the cliche has it and as seems particularly apt in this context, a bitter pill to swallow. The defections of John McCain, Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins sealed the defeat.

* Senator McCain’s defection was in a sense the most surprising, but perhaps should have been anticipated. It seems to me that he has never been happier than on the occasions when he is stabbing Republicans in the back, as here, or promoting profoundly bad public policy, as in the McCain-Feingold legislation.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Scott, I'm surprised you're surprised.

Draggingtree
1 hour ago, Valin said:

I’m very disappointed in this whole repeal mess,

no overall plan after seven years :wallbash:

it’s not just McCain action, which in its self is unforgivable :angry:

we all or going to die  :lalala:

• Like 1

Trump on McCain during the campaign:  "He's not a war hero.  He was a war hero because he was captured.  I like people who weren't captured."  Was this MeCain's revenge?

Draggingtree

7/27/2017

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 9:00 am

I guess congratulations are in order. Congratulations, Barack Obama. Your signature big-government achievement: ObamaCare — the biggest step towards socialized medicine in this country in over forty years — is now beyond challenge. We now know that it will never be repealed. And we have Republicans to thank for it.

And it’s being treated like just another news story. Well, it’s not. It’s the worst political betrayal in modern political history.

I’d like you to imagine something. Imagine you’re sitting at the breakfast table with your spouse, to whom you have been married for seven years. Your spouse says: “Honey, I have a couple of things to tell you. First, they ran out of milk at the store. Second, I slept with my co-worker last week. Now, about this milk situation…”

I think you might say something like this: “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Forget the milk situation. What was that you said about breaking your most fundamental promise to me? The promise you have made to me for the last seven years? The one promise that was central to our life together?”

That’s not just another broken promise. For many people, that’s a dealbreaker.

If you open up your newspaper, or access your favorite blog or news site, you might not realize that we just experienced the worst political betrayal I can remember. Here’s a story about transgenders and the military. Oh, yeah, and also the Republicans voted not to repeal ObamaCare. Now, about those transgenders . . .      :snip: http://patterico.com/2017/07/27/yesterdays-historic-obamacare-betrayal-these-senators-must-pay-the-price/

Draggingtree
1 hour ago, nickydog said:

Today is a day to be embarrassed to be a Republican?  I'm too angry to feel embarrassment!   :angry:

I'm going to wear my sun glasses all day -- even in the house :lmfao:

• Like 1

Mick Mulvaney: 'Healthcare discussion still very much alive'

Mick Mulvaney, President Trump's budget director, suggested Friday that senators are continuing their efforts on healthcare, despite a failed vote to repeal a handful of portions of Obamacare in the early morning hours on Friday.
"We have not given up," Mulvaney said on CNBC. "We understand that various senators continue to talk to each other and to the White House. I don't think they can go home without doing something. The healthcare discussion is still very much alive despite the vote last night."
The vote failed after all 48 Democrats and three Republicans voted against it.:snip:

1 hour ago, nickydog said:

Today is a day to be embarrassed to be a Republican?  I'm too angry to feel embarrassment!   :angry:

:blush:

1 hour ago, Draggingtree said:

McCain is old dying and will never run again...how do you punish him?  Susan Collins is leaving the senate and will run for governor of Maine (after this vote best of luck with that sweetheart)  Lisa Murkowski will not be running again until 2022.

Yes they need to be punished, the question is....................How?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Valin said:

McCain is old dying and will never run again...how do you punish him?  Susan Collins is leaving the senate and will run for governor of Maine (after this vote best of luck with that sweetheart)  Lisa Murkowski will not be running again until 2022.

Yes they need to be punished, the question is....................How?

Well this is one way.....................

Don’t Be Shocked (Shocked!) by Alaska Threats

Of course federal officials use their powers to win votes in Congress.

Jonah Goldberg

July 28, 2017

(Snip)

That afternoon, Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke called both Murkowski and Alaska senator Dan Sullivan, according to a story first reported by the Alaska Dispatch News. “I’m not going to go into the details,” Sullivan told the paper, “but I fear that the strong economic growth, pro-energy, pro-mining, pro-jobs [policies] and personnel from Alaska who are part of those policies are going to stop.”

The story sent “shocked — shocked!” shockwaves across Washington. How dare the Trump administration threaten the state of Alaska!

Come now.

Let me say up front that what Zinke did may be politically unwise. It may be unethical. It may be crude.

But it’s not illegal. It’s normal. 

(Snip)

No one runs for federal office in Alaska without promising to bring home the bacon from Washington. In fairness to Alaskans, one reason that’s seen as necessary is the federal government controls so much of the state (about 60 percent of its land is controlled by Washington).

Murkowski herself lobbied for months for a special Alaska-only carve-out under the Better Care Reconciliation Act — the nearly $2 billion “Kodiak Kickback.” It proved to be not enough, but the “for sale” sign had gone up.

Zinke’s heavy-handedness will probably backfire, because standing up to threats is one of the few things that play better in Alaska than accepting porcine bribes.

(Snip)

@Valin  Yes trading favors for votes is SOP in all branches of government - guess every one is shocked about doing it publicly:o;) Although doing it behind closed doors is so much more effective. In fact public bribery probably does not work because politicians do not want constituents to know how the game is played. 

9 minutes ago, Geee said:

@Valin  Yes trading favors for votes is SOP in all branches of government - guess every one is shocked about doing it publicly:o;) Although doing it behind closed doors is so much more effective. In fact public bribery probably does not work because politicians do not want constituents to know how the game is played. 

Yes everyone hates earmarks...for someone else.

• Like 1