Smoke Signals 4th of July Rib Special Edition

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
Smoke Signals 4th of July Rib Special Edition

July 4 is not only a patriotic celebration, but it's also National BBQ Day! What better way to celebrate than with friends, family, and RIBS!

last meal ribs

Last Meal Ribs Recipe: The Best Barbecue Ribs You've Ever Tasted!

"Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire." Exodus 12:9

Pork ribs are the holy grail. Mastering them marks the difference between the tyro, pyro, and pitmaster.  You have to start by understanding the different cuts of ribs, baby backs, loin backs, spare ribs, St. Louis Cut, Center Cut, tips. Check out Unfuddling the Different Cuts of Pork and Ribs for all that you need to know.

With Last Meal Ribs, we're talking Southern pork ribs, a style created by slaves and as uniquely American as their other great contributions to our culture: Jazz and the blues.

The ribs that win championships are a melange of flavors: A complex spice rub, elegant hardwood smoke, tangy sweet sauce, all underpinned and held together by the distinct flavor of pork. They are juicy and tender and they tug cleanly off the bone but don't fall off the bone. Their scent clings to your fingers for hours.

Click here for my complete definition of Amazing Ribs, what I look for when I judge barbecue competitions, with a video.

With Last Meal Ribs you will make ribs good enough to bring home a trophy in a cookoff. In fact, several readers have written to me that they have done exactly that. You don't need a special smoker, although it helps. You can cook killer ribs on most charcoal and gas grills once you understand the concepts.

If your looking for the pro approach, check out the article on Amazing Ribs Defined: Kissed By Smoke, Hugged By Sauce, Licked By Fire

Wondering what the best sides are for these? Here are two of our favorites.

15a73031-414e-4bd5-9fce-6a7b31c221c7.jpg

A different flavor base than the traditional, creamy deli-slaw, the sweet-sour version coming out of the South and is a fresh, biting pairing to the smoky, sweetness of ribs.  
beans

In Texas, beans aren't sweet! You can go crazy with additions, but this is the classic, simple, home style recipe for beans. It's a perfect compliment to any BBQ, but really shines with ribs of any variety.

• 3 months later...